Thread: Dress Shirts

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dress Shirts

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    Barrel cuffs, always. I think it's ok (but just) to sit in your office in shirtsleeves, but I'd no sooner walk around the office without my jacket than I'd walk around without my shoes.
    The problem with this is that very few shirts from Charvet come with barrel cuffs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently, your shirt collection matches your bike collection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not really—other than a stint with some custom shirts from T&A many, many years ago, all of my dress shirts are ready made.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, I am glad I don't live in you guys world. I used to pretend I was important enough to wear BB stuff, but now for me where the rubber hits the road is done in hospital provided scrubs. I wear the same T-shirt and shorts to work all week. Shower in the am, roll 5 minutes down the hill on my Matt Chester, change into scrubs, work 12=16 hours. Shower, ride 10 min home, change into house clothes, walk the dog. repete 3 days in a row and take four days off. No room for pinpoint oxfords in my world any more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    Wow, I am glad I don't live in you guys world. I used to pretend I was important enough to wear BB stuff, but now for me where the rubber hits the road is done in hospital provided scrubs. I wear the same T-shirt and shorts to work all week. Shower in the am, roll 5 minutes down the hill on my Matt Chester, change into scrubs, work 12=16 hours. Shower, ride 10 min home, change into house clothes, walk the dog. repete 3 days in a row and take four days off. No room for pinpoint oxfords in my world any more.
    you win.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think I win anything at all. Just live in a different world than the coat and tie folks. Reading thru the posts was probably the most time I ever spent thinking of shirts. I had no idea that much thought went into choosing a shirt and why. In my brief interlope into the business world, my boss said go to XXXX mens store, buy 5 Brooks Brothers shirts, tell them to give you a half dozen or so ties and get at least one tailored suit and you will fit in. I had no idea that a tie costs so much. But I must admit I looked pretty spiffy. I am sure now I was looking like a poser in a nice suit. Thanks for the interesting read guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    If you're ever up in NY, I recommend Carl at CEGO. He does my shirts now.
    Mine as well. Have done all of the above and others. Carl is great and they are made across the river in the US. I realize given the age of this thread and others chiming in that this point has been made many times over. Carl is a gem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone make decent quality and price shirts that come in real sizes for less formal wear? My job works well with casual button downs, like plaids and flannels but everything I have found is cut for people much bigger around than I am. I need a 16.5-17 neck to fit a 44ish chest and 32 waist with 36-37" sleeves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try Ledbury. Not a super bargain, but their sleeves are longer, and also can be had in a slimmer fit.

Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post
    Anyone make decent quality and price shirts that come in real sizes for less formal wear? My job works well with casual button downs, like plaids and flannels but everything I have found is cut for people much bigger around than I am. I need a 16.5-17 neck to fit a 44ish chest and 32 waist with 36-37" sleeves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have always been fond of Seize Sur Vingt - 16sur20.com. Bit younger and more unusual fabric selection then some of the traditional Jermyn St/etc stuff.

I have shirts from 10yrs ago that are still going strong with no special consideration for care. That's about 9yrs and 6mths longer than a BB shirt ever lasted. Didn't take me long to decide that shirts are one place where it is worth paying up a bit for quality.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123