Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Roasting vegetables

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Roasting vegetables

For supper tonight, I roasted up a mix of homegrown tomatoes, yellow squash and cubanelle peppers, with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, and garlic. Unbelievable. Really, I made enough for two plus ample leftovers, and it was all gone within minutes. I've roasted every variety of pepper I can lay hands on (natch), potatoes (white and sweet), winter squashes, more onions than I could count, and probably lots of other stuff I'm forgetting. What else am I missing? I wondered tonight if roasted cantaloupe would be any good. Anyone ever tried that? Tell me what I need to be roasting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Roasting vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    For supper tonight, I roasted up a mix of homegrown tomatoes, yellow squash and cubanelle peppers, with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, and garlic. Unbelievable. Really, I made enough for two plus ample leftovers, and it was all gone within minutes. I've roasted every variety of pepper I can lay hands on (natch), potatoes (white and sweet), winter squashes, more onions than I could count, and probably lots of other stuff I'm forgetting. What else am I missing? I wondered tonight if roasted cantaloupe would be any good. Anyone ever tried that? Tell me what I need to be roasting.
    Actually, roasted cantelope is very very good over pasta. I'd pick an good quality pepper tagliatelle meebbee.

Nice work, even better with some pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't say about cantaloupes, but have you tried roasting cauliflower on the grill? That's good. Try this: Cauli, asparagus (or another in-season stalk) red onion and bell pepper roasted on a grill. I like to do this with a garlic olivada (Garlicky Olivada Recipe - Grace Parisi | Food & Wine). The Olivada is also great over chicken, firmer white fish (Sablefish) etc.

good stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think roast vegetables are best done as you did them ... simply.

That said, a little Provencal truc works great. Chop garlic and flat leaf parsley separately, then together. Saute quickly in the olive oil, toss with the veggies, perhaps deglaze with a touch of vinegar, and finish with just a touch more raw olive oil. I also fry up some breadcrumbs in olive oil and toss over top.

Pic from this morning's project
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stupidly, i do not like cantaloup. However, i love roasted cantaloup!! go figure.. Cantaloup, little bit of salt, some olive oil, tad bit of fresh cracked pepper-- Throw on the grill, jack and coke on the side, while the lope is roasting.. Done deal!! Throw the melon on the grill, give it a couple of minutes on each side, dear god call the law..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The key to good roasted veggies is a good roasting pan. We have one from Calphlon that will turn almost any form veggie into melt-in-your-mouth greatness. My favorite selections include sweet potato (yams), onion, mushroom, peppers, cauliflower, and asparagus.
    Jon Fischer
    VeloBase.com