Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Barbecue Sauce

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Barbecue Sauce

i know this is a sauce thread and i know without pics it never happened but last week i did a few racks of St L. completely dry. 5 hr in the fridge with mustard slather and dry rub followed by 3.5hr @275f(that's just how long it took to get the feeling i wanted) in pecan followed by 1.5hr wrapped in towels in a cooler. no spritz, no mop and no sauce. seasoned just before serving with more of the same rub. given the simplicity and utter good goodness, i'm not sure i will go back...

thank god for the variety.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" —Justin Robinson
    "Mastery before Creativity"—Nicholas Crumpton 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here's a recipe for pulled pork lifted right from america's test kitchen--i go to these guys pretty often for simple, well considered ideas. I think the best technique here is pulling it from the smoker and saving much of the fat juice to be mixed in as desired when you shred the pork. You may have a rub you like better, but this one is good, and the mustard BBQ sauce you need to try it at least once. it's always a hit when i do this. I don't follow their cooking method as i use my smoker and tend to do two to three hours till i have the dark crust, then finish in oven covered in a pan to preserve juice in the till it pulls or i can pull the bone out clean.

South Carolina Pulled Pork
    From Cook's Country | June/July 2008
    Add to Favorites
    Shopping list
    Email
    Print
    WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS:
    This regional recipe, nicknamed Carolina gold, demands more than just a last-minute dose of bold flavors. A combination of grilling and oven-roasting reduces the cooking time from all day (as is common in traditional South Carolina pulled pork recipes) to just four or five hours. We used the… read more

South Carolina Pulled Pork
    Slathering a tangy mustard-based sauce on barbecued pork is a good start, but this regional specialty demands more than just a last-minute dose of bold flavors.
    Watch the Video

SERVES 8

Pork shoulder—usually labeled pork butt or Boston butt—comes both boneless (usually wrapped in netting) or on the bone. The boneless roast is easier to handle, but either one can be used in this recipe. If your roast weighs more than 5 pounds, plan on an extra 30 to 60 minutes of oven time. The cooked meat can be shredded or chopped.

INGREDIENTS

Spice Rub and Pork
    3 tablespoons dry mustard
    1 1/2 tablespoons light brown sugar
    2 tablespoons salt
    2 teaspoons pepper
    2 teaspoons paprika
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 boneless pork shoulder roast (4 to 5 pounds) (see note)
    4 cups wood chips, soaked for 15 minutes
    Mustard Barbecue Sauce
    1/2 cup yellow mustard
    1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon hot sauce
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon pepper
    INSTRUCTIONS

1. For the spice rub and pork: Combine dry mustard, brown sugar, salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne, breaking up any lumps. Dry pork with paper towels and rub all over with spice mixture. (Roast can be wrapped tightly in plastic and refrigerated for 24 hours.)

2. Seal wood chips in foil packet and cut vent holes in top. Open bottom vent on grill. Light 50 coals; when covered with fine gray ash, pour in pile on one side of grill. Arrange foil packet directly on coals. Set cooking grate in place and heat, covered, with lid vent open halfway until wood chips begin to smoke heavily, about 5 minutes. (For gas grill, place foil packet directly on primary burner. Heat all burners on high, covered, until wood chips begin to smoke heavily, about 15 minutes. Leave primary burner on high and shut other burner[s] off.) Scrape and oil cooking grate. Place pork on cool side of grill and barbecue, covered, until exterior of pork has a rosy crust, about 2 hours.

3. For the mustard barbecue sauce and to finish: Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Whisk mustard, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire, hot sauce, salt, and pepper in bowl until smooth. Transfer pork to roasting pan and brush 1/2 cup sauce over meat. Cover roasting pan tightly with foil and bake until fork inserted into pork can be removed with no resistance, 2 to 3 hours. Remove from oven and rest, still wrapped in foil, for 30 minutes. Unwrap pork and, when cool enough to handle, pull meat into thin shreds, discarding fat, if desired. Toss pork with remaining sauce. Serve.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i made some bbq sauce for the mom's bday, we were grilling chicken.

the base was a reduction of homemade chicken stock, and apple cider (2:1) that i cooked down to a glace before hitting it with the usual suspects.

1 whole onion, 6 cloves garlic sweated
    1 small can tomato paste
    brown mustard (lots)
    worcester (a solid glug)
    maple vinegar (a solid glug) apple cider would be a nice substitution here also
    molasses (spoonful)
    splash of soy (the real stuff)
    dash of fish sauce
    hearty pinch of coriander
    hearty pinch of aleppo pepper
    pinch of dried chipotle powder

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Benito, that's really nice work man thanks for sharing.

Bking - right effin' on. Love America's test kitchen. There are so many myths and truths revealed there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benito View Post
    i made some bbq sauce for the mom's bday, we were grilling chicken.

the base was a reduction of homemade chicken stock, and apple cider (2:1) that i cooked down to a glace before hitting it with the usual suspects.

1 whole onion, 6 cloves garlic sweated
    1 small can tomato paste
    brown mustard (lots)
    worcester (a solid glug)
    maple vinegar (a solid glug) apple cider would be a nice substitution here also
    molasses (spoonful)
    splash of soy (the real stuff)
    dash of fish sauce
    hearty pinch of coriander
    hearty pinch of aleppo pepper
    pinch of dried chipotle powder
    Nice work. Reminds me I've got to restock on Aleppo pepper. Love that stuff.

Nick

“If today is not your day,
    then be happy
    for this day shall never return.
    And if today is your day,
    then be happy now
    for this day shall never return.”
    ― Kamand Kojouri

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a Eastern N.Carolina style BBQ sauce from Rodney Scott I'm going to make:
    2 cups vinegar
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
    1 Tbsp red pepper
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1/2 tsp celery salt
    1 tsp dark molasses
    1 tsp sugar
    1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    *Simmer for 10 mins. and cool

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slight change from above to more traditional and it is spec-tac-ular. Went a little heavy on some fresh ground tellicherry black pepper. This is the last word in Carolina BBQ sauce. If you like it spicy and vinegar based than do this:

Vinegar Sauce
    Makes about 3 cups
    3 cups apple cider vinegar
    1 tablespoon red pepper flakes (to taste)
    2 tablespoons fresh ground pepper
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1/4 cup dark brown sugar

In a saucepan, stir together the vinegar, red pepper flakes, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil. Stir in the ketchup and brown sugar. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes. Taste for seasoning, adding more brown sugar and/or salt as necessary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is all very relevant. We have been doing a lot of loin chops lately, as I’ve been zeroing in on my instant pot precook and need a good sauce for the grill finish. (Thin cut bone in loin chops from Costco. 1/2-3/4” thickness, 3 min high pressure, with one cup Apple cider vinegar. Chops on the trivet.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    This is all very relevant. We have been doing a lot of loin chops lately, as I’ve been zeroing in on my instant pot precook and need a good sauce for the grill finish. (Thin cut bone in loin chops from Costco. 1/2-3/4” thickness, 3 min high pressure, with one cup Apple cider vinegar. Chops on the trivet.)
    You might not like this...I'd make a chimmichurri with extra red pepper flakes. I use the chowhound recipe, no need to diverge:
    Argentine Chimichurri Sauce Recipe - Chowhound
    The chimmi lends itself to finish/grilling because it stands on it's own AND it creates nice flair ups.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 10-09-2018 at 08:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vinegar based bbq sauce photographed for Too Tall in the City Pork restaurant in Baton Rouge this week...had it on a pork belly sandwich.

City Pork | Baton Rouge Restaurant Group | City Group Hospitality
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post

Vinegar based bbq sauce photographed for Too Tall in the City Pork restaurant in Baton Rouge this week...had it on a pork belly sandwich.

City Pork | Baton Rouge Restaurant Group | City Group Hospitality
    You do get around! Going to NOLA?

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
    You do get around! Going to NOLA?

Mike
    Baton Rouge for now Mike. I figure if I have to travel, I might as well seek out the good food...Po' Boy Express is not on my list.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234