Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barbecue Sauce

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Barbecue Sauce

i don't sauce beef or pork shoulder but i do sauce ribs towards the end of the cook. say 30-40 min to kind of set like a varnish. always done it that way. though tomorrow i'm gonna plop on a rack of back ribs and leave em dry just to see how i like it.

these were a few weeks ago, sauced, homemade at that. the only compound in that sauce it yellow mustard. it covers all basis, sweet, spicy, tangy, sour...

pecan, 5 hr at 220f, wrapped(in apple juice, honey and brown sugar) another hour at 220f, then unwrapped, sauced for about 40 min.

Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" —Justin Robinson
    "Mastery before Creativity"—Nicholas Crumpton 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My dad got this recipe from some guys at a BBQ , said to be a mix of Carolina and Tennessee concepts. Said it was fantastic, but the guys were loopy when they wrote down the recipe.

vingar/catsup ratio is 3:1 which is the key to the recipe
    1 qt. vinegar
    1/3 qt. ketchup
    1 TBS worstershire sauce
    2 TBS tabasco(I would use more)
    2 TBS chili powder
    4TBS paprika
    6 TBS black pepper
    6 TBS salt
    2 tsp dry mustard

combine all ingredients&cook slowly for 2 hours.
    refrigerate over nite&warm up to serve.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dry rub on Boston Butt; equal parts Kosher salt, coarse ground black pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, paprika, dark brown sugar, and dry mustard. Rub olive oil on the roast, then coat the pork with the mixture. This cooked for 8 hours @ +/-200 on oak coals. The shoulder blade bone just pulls out of the roast.

I'm in eastern South Carolina, the land of pulled pork. I make a vinegar & pepper sauce...apple cider vinegar, kosher salt & crushed red pepper flakes; heated to dissolve the salt. Don't really need sauce, though...the dry rub & low temperature brings big taste to the party.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Jon Stone. Raconteur, Bon Vivant, Wabibito.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how big was that? looks pretty well rendered for 8hr at 200f.

Quote Originally Posted by Jstone View Post
    Dry rub on Boston Butt; equal parts Kosher salt, coarse ground black pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, paprika, dark brown sugar, and dry mustard. Rub olive oil on the roast, then coat the pork with the mixture. This cooked for 8 hours @ +/-200 on oak coals. The shoulder blade bone just pulls out of the roast.

I'm in eastern South Carolina, the land of pulled pork. I make a vinegar & pepper sauce...apple cider vinegar, kosher salt & crushed red pepper flakes; heated to dissolve the salt. Don't really need sauce, though...the dry rub & low temperature brings big taste to the party.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crumpton View Post
    how big was that? looks pretty well rendered for 8hr at 200f.
    About 8 lbs. before going on the grill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've found the cut of meat is critical. I typically source from a local ranch or a butcher shop that sources local ranches. Whole chickens and ribs will come from Whole Foods or other similar source if I can't get to the ranchers. Never really focused on Prime so much.

I did buy a pork butt from a meat shop that sourced from a national meat company once. Was really dissapointed in how it turned out.
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nathan, you are in Austin? who are these "local butcher shops"?

ive found the quality of WholeFoods meat declining in the last couple years.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No kidding. Very much so lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dai due or salt and time would be my guess

i usually hit up central market for any nice cut of meat i want...like short rib, ribeye or NYstrip
    also got some chickens my sister raised up and had processed, she was selling them to a local farm and she ended up with extras. very nice. smoked 'em and made enchiladas.
    i noticed salt and time posted that they had some local birds for sale, i forget the farm...out in the hill country, they were processed at the same place my sisters were, was kind of interesting i guess.

for pork ribs, i don't do them all the time but i've been happy with a dry rub and some brown sugar and then smoking them 'til done...

i also don't worry about temps when smoking briskets, just a clean burn. my temp will go anywhere from 225-350 but usually staying around 275. a brisket takes so long i like to get it on there and get it done!!! sometimes i wrap it at the end in butcher paper.

my stepmom has an amazing recipe for some dark vinegary BBQ sauce. i get a huge bottle of it every year at the family picnic, i have so much of it that i have never even bothered to try making it. pretty sure that recipe originated in arkansas, probably little rock. true confession here, i kinda like that stubb's bbq sauce too...
    usually only eat any sauce on bbq sandwiches or sausage wraps.

speaking of sausage it's too bad there isn't any good sausage to get in austin. slovacek market out in caldwell has a badass westphalia that is uncooked, the drive out there keeps me from acquiring it too often...

edit* actually slovacek is in snook texas...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bking View Post
    you know a real bbq joint before you go in the front door--by site, not smell. look for stacks of wood.

i used to be a sauce guy, till i had serious bbq. now not so much sauce, but i'm not opposed. good sauce is good. lately i like blues hog. their tennessee red's a good rib finisher. a good rub really is key for me now. you get good smoke and a good rub that's all i need.

at one time I traveled for bbq; have a map with places i needed to visit. this was before aaron franklin opened in austin. someday i'll get there. so much hype about this guy. i bought his book, and it's very well done.

in the past couple years i decided to try myself. it's a very time consuming way to cook...but at least for me that's half the fun. here's my tools, one i made, one i bought:

i call this one Frank--as in Frankenstein. my first welding job. looks awful. but i decided if it worked well--drafted clean, blue smoke, i wouldn't paint it. works awesome, so now it stays really ugly.
    i bought a second one out of texas:

this is a vertical insulated from lonestargrillz. good people and it's a great insulated smoker. perfect for the long 12+ hour smokes.

yeah, i'm into this bbq stuff.
    the reverse flow smoker is awesome.
    i built a crossflow smoker a few years ago as my (basically) first welding project...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cookietruck View Post
    dai due or salt and time would be my guess
    ah, i hadn't considered the hipster hangouts. i too prefer CM but lately i've been buying meat at the HEB on Far West which appears to have the same meat as CM but substantially cheaper.

and a follow up to my post last week. i went for a hotter faster cook on a rack of loin backs at 275f and no wrap. though i did sauce for the last 20-25 min. total cook time just under 4hr. it was fantastic. took more smoke(but not too much) remained moist and flavorful. more bark and color than usual but in a pleasing way. i coulda shortened the cook by 30 min easily. it was almost over done buy still just fine.

i will do this again. and it has me wanting to do a hot n fast brisket which i've never done. that 16-20hr cook on big fat packers has kept me away for at least 4 years now.

Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=

and a follow up to my post last week. i went for a hotter faster cook on a rack of loin backs at 275f and no wrap. though i did sauce for the last 20-25 min. total cook time just under 4hr. it was fantastic. took more smoke(but not too much) remained moist and flavorful. more bark and color than usual but in a pleasing way. i coulda shortened the cook by 30 min easily. it was almost over done buy still just fine.

Those look mighty tasty, Nick. Did you use a dry rub?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, for these ribs, hefty amounts of brown sugar, decent amounts of kosher salt and black pepper followed by some garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, paprika and guajillo.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cookietruck is right. Salt and Time primarily for me. Also go to the ranchers at the downtown farmers market or pick up stuff from Richardson Farms meats at Wheatsville. The only thing I've bought at Whole Foods recently is ribs. I haven't bought meat from CM in a while. Will have to keep them in mind when I need something and don't want to travel/pay S&T prices.
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm not a native Texan but my family moved here from Nevada when i was 3. i grew up drinking BigRed with BBQ, usually brisket with pickles and onion wrapped in buttercrust white sandwich bread. Thats how many did it. trust me.

fast forward several decades and i've found a fav cocktail to enjoy with these briskets. the classic negroni. try it sometime. from the color to the unique bitter sweet, its is so much like a BigRed.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fast forward several decades and i've found a fav cocktail to enjoy with these briskets. the classic negroni. try it sometime. from the color to the unique bitter sweet, its is so much like a BigRed.
    Cycling approved:

Pez's Best Negronis of 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm smoking a small (3lb)bone in butt tomorrow. worth brining that small?
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know it's late but I never brine a pork butt. Start dry rub and then after it's set and the fat cap has cracked, wrap it up in foil, splash in some apple cider vinegar, and let it finish.
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stacks of wood, huh? How about some hickory smoked goodness from Dreamland Bar-B-Que in Tuscaloosa..."Ain't nothing like 'em nowhere." is their slogan. Our client took us here for lunch today and I'll probably go back tomorrow. The gentleman manning the grille told me that he'll cook about 1,200# of ribs during this week's Bama/LSU game.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

image-3777335423.jpg

This is from a little hole in the wall place called Peeble's. Only open 4 days a week from Sept. 1st thru end of May. Screen walls, outdoor plumbing.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast