Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Basil

this is vine-ripe prime time locally, provided the recent lack of precip hasn't killed your patch.

somebuddy done ate up all the pesto!

planning to make larger batch and freeze some now that i've gone through the process.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by giordana93 View Post
    if you've never tried it, there's nothing better than the classic fresh tomatoes + fresh basil + fresh mozzarella with a drizzle of olive oil (a drop or two of vinegar is optional-heresy to some; I like mine without or just a drop, maybe lemon juice instead, esp. if tomatoes are from the store). one of the joys of summer and absolutely can't be beat, esp if you have homegrown tomatoes (required). if you can score buffalo mozzarella (not cheap) all the better. really one of the simplest things in the world, yet just so wow. google caprese or Insalata Caprese

here's a link there's really nothing to it, as mr. slater says here "Shopping rather than technique is paramount":
    sorry for the over exposed flash...this was from a month ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "make the break"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Pesto in vaccum packs / dinner sized and frozen. Make it minus the garlic because that has bacteria blah blah blah. Works like a charm. Many moons ago me and my neighbor did this every yr.
    If you need an food processor recipe let me know.
    FWIIW we tried drying it a million different ways which all suk'd.
    PESTO yo.
    Right, minus the garlic and, obviously, pre-cheese. Frankly, the thing to do is freeze just the basil combined with olive oil. The basil in oil freezes very well and everything else can be added fresh, to taste, when finishing the pesto just before serving.

But only do this after having some fresh, fresh, fresh. For a variation, dice a bit of potato (cook properly and then arrest the cooking). Trim some small, fresh french-style green beans (cook properly and then arrest the cooking). Toss good pasta, fresh pesto, the green beans and the potatoes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deb's going to make some lemon/basil cookies this afternoon. I'll have to taste them and report back.
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A feast fit for Lyle:

Packed a picnic last Tues. night for Lyle at Wolf Trap.

One of several offerings was a baguette, split, with heirloom tomatoes from Eastern Market, some TJ's mozzarella, Italian pancetta, basil from the gf's folks' garden, topped with a generous portion of some olive oil ferried over from Italy ("Il Frantoio di Montepulciano"), a few shakes of Krazy Jane's (I put this stuff on everything), and sides of red onion and aged balsamic added to taste. Easy easy and a big hit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12