Default Re: Stocks 101

posts like that are what this corner of le Salon is about. thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beef Bone Stock. 5 lbs bones and 1 oxtail. Shoulda come out to about 5 quarts but I reduced it to 2. This cooked on my stove for 96 hours. Put it on Tuesday mid-day. Took it off about 10 minutes ago. No aromatics just a meat/bone broth. Ever since I made the Chicken soup I blogged about I'm into separating the meat broth from the aromatic broth and combining the two to taste. This'll be Onion Soup very soon.

They are different colors only because of the light/bad camera job. Gleaming Gold is the appropriate color. First time I've put an Oxtail in my stock and I think the meatiness/body it added is well worth it. All bones and Tail from 100% Hardwick Grass-fed Beef.

"Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride"
    -H.S.T.

"Convenience can take over, it can be distracting, and it can make you lazy."
    -Grant Peterson

Adventures in Food and Eating

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just getting ready to make a bunch of white veal stock. White as in non-roasted bones. Super easy: a bunch of veal bones, double boiled to get the skank off, then simmered for 6 hours with tomato paste and tyme. Add in onions, carrots and celery for the last 3 hrs or so. Of course, skim the foam as you go. Strain it and your left with lovely gelatinous goo that is the perfect base for osso bucco or braised short ribs. Fall is my favorite season, and fall food is my favorite food.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12