Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Oxford (the shoe)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Oxford (the shoe)

So my brown wingtip oxfords are on their last legs. I don't think I'll be getting them re-soled, since they weren't the highest quality to begin with (mid-leveish J&Ms). What I'm looking for is a good pair that I'll be able to wear for a decade or more and re-sole as needed. I'm willing to pay up to $500 when I buy these things, though getting good value for $$ spent in that range is more important than total price - I'll pay at the high end of the range if it's worth it. A couple shoes that have caught my eye:

AE Elgin that Ben posted a while ago. $300.

Alden 96601. $477.

What say the Salon? I can see the differences between the AEs that I've had and seen and the J&Ms I've owned. How much more better are the Aldens? Any others I should be looking at?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Oxford (the shoe)

I think we need a field trip to the DC Alden store. I have AE captoes and Alden cordovan loafers. They are both great, but the Alden just has an aura of greatness. I recently threw away a pair of 8-yr old Mephistos (after re-soling 3 times) and have been thinking about Aldens for a replacement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would suggest the Cordovan in Whiskey. Too bad they don't make my size.
    The Alden Shop of San Francisco -

I have to settle for AE which is still great, but seems more manufactured.
    http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...ategory=120552

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billrick View Post
    I think we need a field trip to the DC Alden store.

Sounds like a plan. What's your schedule like this week?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I understand it, oxfords (also called balmorals) have a "closed lacing" like in cody's first pic, while cody's second photo, and the two links from sevencyclist have "open lacing", and would be referred to as bluchers, and are a bit less formal. If that's not an issue for you, then obviously pick whichever you'd like - they all look great!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're all "informal." But that doesn't really apply anymore. A clean pair will go well with a suit or casual wear. I prefer my oxfords with a sole on the chunkier side. Pretty much everyone is making them, so there is no shortage of selection.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks everyone. I ended up ordering these:

I went and looked at some Alden's here in Charlottesville (at Eljo's - highly recommended). I actually liked the AE's I've looked at in person more. Also, I did something I knew you could do, but never tried before. You can call the "shoe bank" at the AE factory and check and see what seconds they have. These ended up being $220 as opposed to $325. The flaw that makes the shoe a second is usually incredibly minor.

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    They're all "informal." But that doesn't really apply anymore. A clean pair will go well with a suit or casual wear.
    That's the plan for me. I prefer the look of tan/walnut shoes with navy suits, myself. Technically correct, maybe not, but I don't really care. I wear bowties alot, so people already think I look like an asshole.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Outstanding! That is a real score. Did they have anything in a 10 B?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billrick View Post
    Outstanding! That is a real score. Did they have anything in a 10 B?
    Most likely. The guy on the phone said the best way is to know your size and what model you are looking for. I only asked about two -- the McAllister and the Elgin. The guy was knowledgeable about the product line and where they all fit together, which was nice.

Also, if your looking for something similar for Johnston & Murphys, there is a place called "Name Brand Shoe Liquidators" on the square in Murfreesboro, TN. Not sure if you can call them up and see what they have, though. You can get high end J&Ms (the $300ish ones) for $60 dollars there regularly.

But we seriously should go to the Alden store this week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can't go wrong with a nice stout oxford or brogue. I bought a pair of Loake Bedales last time I was back in the UK. They've been treating me very well.

Loake Shoemakers - Makers of hand made English men

Trickers are my personal favorites, Bureau of Belfast carries the whole line and as well as doing a few exclusive collaborations with them.

http://www.thebureaubelfast.com/shop/type/26/footwear/

This is the only picture I have of my Loakes, but they take all the abuse my bull terrier can dish out and just look better for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There a thousands of Alden styles and colors that even the factory website doesn't do justice to. Although located in Middleborough, MA lots of Americans don't really get it but they are a fetish item with the French and Japanese. A fun place to start for odds and ends, seconds, firsts, is here: Alden Shoes – Men's Alden Shoes – TheShoeMart.com You can have Shoe Mart send you emails with interesting offerings in your size when they arrive. Consider the cover to the rabbit hole opened.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like a pair of the AE Cordovan Bradleys. $550 yikes.....however, I'm going on 10 years for my current pair of shoes.