Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sausage Making

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default re: Sausage Making

We've got some Hungarian Pick salami in the house. For the style, I'd notice first that it's all beef. Plus garlic. Salt. Then maybe you should add more garlic. It's a hard style salami so you should take your time.

I was psyched to find it at my local wine store, which has a cheese and sausage counter. Way back when (1981 I think), on a term off from college, I had a job in the foods section of a local Bloomingdales, back when they still had a full deli counter (plus chocolate counter, plus bakery/patisserie counter). The deli section was run by an old Hungarian fella who taught me how to slice the smoked salmon properly. He always featured those Pick Hungarian salamis. Not exactly light and lean, but mmmm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Sausage Making

Quote Originally Posted by cassa View Post
    most excellent! nevermind the busted links, many dozens, if not hundreds, of varieties of sausages from all over! in just this section: FRESH SAUSAGE RECIPES: scroll down--all open into pdf. oh look at the very bottom:
    All recipes are Copyright with all rights reserved.
    One copy may be downloaded for personal use only!
    geez jiminy like anyone follows every teaspoon to the letter. but on that note, please don't "sell the link" or "write a cookbook" from it.

also note that the metric measurements make for quickfast sizing of the recipe, no nearly so cumbersome and T's and t's and cups and pints yo. i like to scale things down for testing, then scale 'em back up for production...or to the amount of meat handy.

i'm eating the last bits of my "hot italian" (from the u of ND, via ND ag extentension, via a sausage making supplies vendor--is that link in this thread?!) just now (rolled in sage for breakfast use)...gotta grind soon.
    Last edited by WadePatton; 09-06-2011 at 12:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YO!!! View Post

Key thing when making any type of sausage is to have all ingredients and equipment very cold.
    When I was first married my wife's grand father would call us the first weekend every year that temps weren't going to get above freezing at his bfe sausage making shack in bfe south carolina. He'd always have 2-3 whole hogs we'd butcher. Man those were good weekends.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    When I was first married my wife's grand father would call us the first weekend every year that temps weren't going to get above freezing at his bfe sausage making shack in bfe south carolina. He'd always have 2-3 whole hogs we'd butcher. Man those were good weekends.
    the technical term for that particular weather event (known by all true hickabillys) is "hog-killin' weather".

it's an event for two reasons: first no one knows when it's going to happen nor how long it will last, so you have to jump at the opportunity-and get it done before spoilage can occur. and then reason two: _fresh_ cracklins from the rendering pot.

wadefox 1.0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yes, fresh chracklins. We were loaded with sausage, chops, ribs and more sausage. But, you're right, we only had a day or two notice.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 09-06-2011 at 10:22 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12