Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sausage Making

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sausage Making

Picked up a good ole-hand cranker sausage grinder the other day. Looking for a good comparison of the different styles of sausages.

but the google-mastered web keeps giving me stupid effing recipes including sausage bought from the store.

I'd like to compare the _general_ meat and spices content of most major styles of sausage. I can make (have already and now its all gone) Southern-style breakfast sausage in my sleep, but want to consider the others such as Italian, Polish, Bratwurst, Chorizo, etc.

I'll be working with pork shoulder primarily. I hate adding fat to venison, but will eventually i'm sure--in the name of sausage!

Not asking for family recipes, unless you care to divulge. not that i follow any recipe twice-hell, i hardly follow any recipe once-once i latch onto the primary concept.

I've scratched up some basic stuff, but it's been a chore digging through all the "keilbasa is polish" definitions and opinions. sometimes i'm sure the web is dumbing itself down.

Note: I petitioned the establishment for a "culinary corner" or somesuch here at VS. maybe we'll get one if we show some chef-ish-ness here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default re: Sausage Making

a bit of what i'm looking for-from the ND extension service (via an online shop): http://www.askthemeatman.com/pdf%20f...sagemaking.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one result from google "sausage grinding"

Tips on Making Sausage - Gourmet Recipes from SausageMania!

I don't think that it is rocket science. Figure out what ratios work and then have at it. Pics of finished product. Nobody wants to see sausage making happen except for legislators.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you. there's some learning in there for sure.

But i'm looking for general comparisons of the major sausage styles. "Gourmet" says "not simple" atwo. The best foods in the world (according to my favorite top chefs, and me) are simple, local, and fresh. There are _basic_ components that define a given style-and styles vary by region. That's what i'd like to focus on. Reading through the recipes and deciphering is another angle to take, but slower and more labor intensive-i'll have to ride a lot more!

Understanding the basic overall meat and seasoning differences between major styles is what I'm after. The PDF above hits 'em pretty well, but you have to know where each variation "hails" from as there is no discussion of their development.

Example, Fennel is _the_ Italian center-spice. Whether or not one toasts it is another subject. I stake that claim on the family recipe my mom derived from a son of an Italian immigrant in the 1970's. It is much simpler than the ND recipe.

So I jumped on the "Hot Italian Sausage" recipe in the book from ND. I used fresh garlic and home grown cayenne and 100% trimmed pork shoulder. Took 45 minutes start to finish.

fried up a sample. OUT>effing<STANDING if i do say so myself.

now i need to bag up the grinder and bury in the woods somewhere...that was too easy and i'm going to get too fat.

good thing i don't make bread...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My grandfather use to make a lot of venison sausage every year. It was greasy spicy and gave you the runs, but oh so good. One year, he was grinding the sausage up and ended up grinding up half of his pinky. That year he offer a $100 to anyone who bit into a finger nail or bone when they ate his sausage. At 13 I ate a lot hoping for the jackpot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WadePatton View Post
    Picked up a good ole-hand cranker sausage grinder the other day. Looking for a good comparison of the different styles of sausages.

but the google-mastered web keeps giving me stupid effing recipes including sausage bought from the store.

I'd like to compare the _general_ meat and spices content of most major styles of sausage. I can make (have already and now its all gone) Southern-style breakfast sausage in my sleep, but want to consider the others such as Italian, Polish, Bratwurst, Chorizo, etc.

I'll be working with pork shoulder primarily. I hate adding fat to venison, but will eventually i'm sure--in the name of sausage!

Not asking for family recipes, unless you care to divulge. not that i follow any recipe twice-hell, i hardly follow any recipe once-once i latch onto the primary concept.

I've scratched up some basic stuff, but it's been a chore digging through all the "keilbasa is polish" definitions and opinions. sometimes i'm sure the web is dumbing itself down.

Note: I petitioned the establishment for a "culinary corner" or somesuch here at VS. maybe we'll get one if we show some chef-ish-ness here.
    Sincere apologies W.P. I did get your note and no excuses. Where and what do you want to call this? Suggest something, I'll make it happen.
    I've never made sausage however have been around lots of pals making antelope and elk sausage. Simple recipes and no real secrets from what I could see. My personal favor goes to straight up Italian sausages that are quite spicey.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 08-25-2011 at 08:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wade one of my favorite sausages is salsiccia. Italian fennel sausage, my favorite comes from DiGregorio's on the Hill in St Louis, I found this recipe on the web and looks like a good place to start. Damn now I may have to break out the Kitchenaid. Have fun there are lots of things you can make sausage from.
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wade
    Any success with waterfowl? I'd love to hear what you put in it. A lot like deer, greasy, and powerful gamey, but worth the effort. Let me know how you do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My brother had some venison sausage made after last year's hunt. Pretty sure that he took it to one of the places in PDX that does that sort of thing. Mighty good.

I'd venture a guess that duck or goose would be really good in a casing with the proper seasoning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rolling with the flow, i've not had personal experience with preparing waterfowl. BUT when i do, i'll follow anthony bourdain's lead*.

i hope to gather a few wild turkeys this fall (feathered not bottled). they've extended our fall season and i'm ready to cash in. the smoker will probably be my focus on the first three or two for sure. i'd love to meet a duck hunter with excess (like the guys tony met), mostly deer/turkey hunting 'round here.

* tony bourdain (chef with a show on travel channel, and no hunter) went out in the blind with some guys who were dropping birds and he comments on how goood the fresh ducks will eat and _both_ of them boys said in effect,
    "nawp, we don't eat 'em."

and tony was shocked (as was i),
    "why not?"

"we've cooked 'em 100 ways and cain't find no way we like 'em." replies the shooters (no longer hunters in my book) tony says,
    "let me at 'em" and proceeds later to prepare duck that knocked their socks off. it was extremely simply seasoning and technique. i made notes somewhere. iirc the trick was cooking thin slices over low heat, but i will research it before i foul up a drake. oh lookie: Preparing duck in the Ozarks - Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations Video - Travel Channel

as for the sausage, i'll be using pork shoulder or venison or combined primarily...oh yeah braunschweiger und haggis oh my! there go the deermo organ meats!

@ toots, i've no preference where y'all put it. i was just thinking the the "what's for dinner?" thing is bulky and mostly a pic fest whereas what i have in mind is a place to discuss all things culinary--the creating of the dishes, plating optional. many different things can come from one pile of ingredients, technique is crucial to results. i've become intrigued with the short glimpses into the minds of accomplished chefs like Andrew Zimmern, Anthony Bourdain, and yes of course Gordon fucking Ramsey. i like getting a better understanding of _what_ is actually going on in many of the processes... you know those that don't always turn out right. it's taking food to another level when you understand the end goals and what/how specific manipulations/processes move the product toward that goal. MUCH deeper than blindly following some recipe.

Plus other kitchen/chef topics like cutlery, cookware, butcher blocks, care and coddling of cast iron (an area rife with legend), bulk spices, spice gardens, herb chia, how many pleats are in a chef's cap and why, you know-stuff like that.

name it: Chef's Corner, Culinary Cave, Cook and Serve, Culinary Corner, or whatever-anything but Handlebra. (hi ray). You may have some "-ista" twist for it. I'm just looking for a place to learn from others who may have formal/professional training or just life experience and tradition backing 'em up. Cast iron and BBQ and Cornbread are specialties of mine. There are extant threads that could be moved into the space. mine on capsaicin and another on cutting boards are two.

this is not a democracy, but i'll open the floor to other suggestions.
    Last edited by WadePatton; 08-25-2011 at 10:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My only suggestion is to make sure to kosher your raw materials, especially if you're using trimmings.

Our early goose season opens 9/1 and I'll head out with a friend to harvest a few. I'd like to make sausage out of them, and I'll report back if I do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey the Anthony Bourdain references reminded me of his el bulli documentary and the excellent jamon depicted therein:

The establishment is Jamonisimo in Barcelona. I went there this summer, had a reasonably priced sampler and bought 100 grams of the Salamanca variety (at 175 euro/kg, but you only live once). It is in a league of its own as far as meat goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember that Bourdain show, very simple method. Them boys just needed a nudge in the right direction. OK, I'll get crackin' on a sub-forum. Maybe move some of the popular cooking threads to the new place?
    W.P. is the boss hoss for this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I remember that Bourdain show, very simple method. Them boys just needed a nudge in the right direction. OK, I'll get crackin' on a sub-forum. Maybe move some of the popular cooking threads to the new place?
    W.P. is the boss hoss for this one.
    yeah, emphasis on _preparation_

can i get a badge? i got a gun. bosshoss

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WadePatton View Post
    yeah, emphasis on _preparation_

can i get a badge? i got a gun. bosshoss
    Done.
    W.P. is moderator of the forum. Just remember SteveP. gets .1% of the vig.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This should be a good one. I love making sausage. For pre selected spice packs I've had great luck doing my venison up with Penzey's mixes for Italian, breakfast and venison. Pretty simple instructions as the Italian and breakfast call for a 40-50% mix of pork (I use shoulder) with the venison and the venison recipe calls for beef. Stuff or make patties based on intended usage. I would love to see a good anduilie and chorizo recipe as these are my favorites.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

boyohboy another tool belt...be careful what you ask for-you might get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorman View Post
    This should be a good one. I love making sausage. ...I would love to see a good anduilie and chorizo recipe as these are my favorites.
    see the last two recipes at Tips on Making Sausage - Gourmet Recipes from SausageMania! make some and report back here.

_i'll be busy with the club's big annual ride for the next two days_ so don't expect much until sunday/monday when i can put some extry time in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, THIS IS the sausage making thread BTW.

So, that Italian sausage that i made and only "skillet tested" yesterday...

Well tonight i made a red sauce for it and bought some bread (yeah what a shame), threw it all together and
    double dog days DAYUM it's killer.
    only thing i can imagine making it better is properly stuffing it into pork casings. that will come...imperfection tasting mighty fine this eve.

HEY, did you see that recipe that calls for BACON in the sausage?!

Nope, it's okay, you're still alive...
    Last edited by WadePatton; 08-26-2011 at 10:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are a couple of good books on sausage:

Amazon.com: Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing (9780393058291): Michael Ruhlman, Brian Polcyn, Thomas Keller: Books

The pates and terrines are also to die for and actually quite easy to make. Think of 'em as meat loaf with attitude.

Amazon.com: Bruce Aidells's Complete Sausage Book : Recipes from America's Premium Sausage Maker (9781580081597): Bruce Aidells, Denis Kelly: Books

Lotsa different recipes in this one.

I prefer Zarela Martinez' recipe for chorizo.

Local guys here in Atlanta making some good stuff.

Pine Street Market - Artisan Meats - Atlanta Georgia

Key thing when making any type of sausage is to have all ingredients and equipment very cold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast