Thread: Let's talk Omega Speedmaster Professional

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Let's talk Omega Speedmaster Professional

Quote Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what is ballpark to get something like that done? How many places are there in the US that could even do it?
    Not many. The expert watchmaker I know kind of laughed at me. You could buy a nice watch for what he quoted...hence why I still sits in a box in multiple pieces.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Not many. The expert watchmaker I know kind of laughed at me. You could buy a nice watch for what he quoted...hence why I still sits in a box in multiple pieces.
    the enabler part of me says, "You only live once!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oy Ve. What the he!!?
    *In case it is not obvious PCA (Porsche Club America) is backing the production of 99 of these disasters and touting them as the most collectible Speedy ever produced.
    In the words of Jiminey Cricket "when you wish upon a Star..."
    Apologies in advance if anyone here is on the list. Get well soon. xxoo

pcaspeedy.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Oy Ve. What the he!!?
    *In case it is not obvious PCA (Porsche Club America) is backing the production of 99 of these disasters and touting them as the most collectible Speedy ever produced.
    In the words of Jiminey Cricket "when you wish upon a Star..."
    Apologies in advance if anyone here is on the list. Get well soon. xxoo

pcaspeedy.jpg
    Sorry to use a cliche, but I'm with you on this - today's piece de la shark jumping . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two brands that I really love that dabble too much in special edition collaboration pieces are Omega and Tag. The Speedy is a classic bordering on perfection. They should leave it alone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Two brands that I really love that dabble too much in special edition collaboration pieces are Omega and Tag. The Speedy is a classic bordering on perfection. They should leave it alone.
    But there's money to be made and people out there willing to pay for the toys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think special editions and even collaborations (looking at you #SpeedyTuesday Speedmaster with the reverse panda face) can be good, but it has to be tasteful and either be something special that has never been done or hasn't been done in long enough that the chances of getting the original are slim if you are not ridiculously wealthy. The #SpeedyTuesday edition is one example I liked, and for Tag, an example could be the recent Autavia that I believe debuted at Baselworld.

Doing special editions just for the fun of it or for marketing though does make me facepalm though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tag has some good ones. I actually have one of their first round of limited edition Heuer Monaco reissues and I love it. But they've gotten carried away with the frequency, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm crushed, my Seamaster stopped.Luckily, I still own that lovely Seiko 6306-7001 from Jason M.

I always figured Seamasters are like volvos, they just run forever until somebody turns it into a sawmill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

surely nothing that can't be remedied josh.

do you ride in that watch? i own a slew of auto divers and have always felt that even though they are built quite ruggedly, all the bouncing around on a bike just cant be good, long term for the movement. i wonder what will be found when they pull yours apart?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    surely nothing that can't be remedied josh.

do you ride in that watch? i own a slew of auto divers and have always felt that even though they are built quite ruggedly, all the bouncing around on a bike just cant be good, long term for the movement. i wonder what will be found when they pull yours apart?
    Absolutely, I show the watch no mercy. The watch is about 12 or 13 years old and has had regular service. We shall see. First, I will have to find a reliable Omega repair. The smart move might be to send it to RGM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm crushed, my Seamaster stopped.Luckily, I still own that lovely Seiko 6306-7001 from Jason M.

I always figured Seamasters are like volvos, they just run forever until somebody turns it into a sawmill.
    Sorry to hear this, Josh. Hope you find someone to sort it out.

RE: special editions, they just keep coming. Ultraman, Hodinkee...
    Chris

Road, CX, Mountain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely, I show the watch no mercy. The watch is about 12 or 13 years old and has had regular service. We shall see. First, I will have to find a reliable Omega repair. The smart move might be to send it to RGM.
    I think timepieces should be sent back to the manufacturer for service rather than an authorized dealer or local watchmaker. With that said, I think RGM would take care of you as long as they can get any necessary parts.

My now 24 year old Rolex Explorer II had regular service every 5 years for the first 15 years of its life. I let it go past the 4th service (at 20 years) and one day it just stopped working. I sent it to Rolex service in NYC and it came back in as-new condition and continues to take a beating almost every day. In the first 15 years of life, I can't even imagine how many times it was knocked around in a network closet, server room, or drop ceiling while chasing something down. While it was never dropped, the case has all the dings and scratches to show it has not had an easy life.

Good luck and if you care about resale or style, do not let them polish the case, change the dial, or change the hands. Changing the crystal is fine if it is really damaged.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear that boss. You're in good hands with that Seiko while the Seamaster gets fixed, those old divers made up what they lacked in refinement by being just absolute work-horses....also not unlike old Volvos ;-)
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burgess1108 View Post
    Sorry to hear this, Josh. Hope you find someone to sort it out.

RE: special editions, they just keep coming. Ultraman, Hodinkee...
    That Ultraman is quite nice. Looks good and sufficiently out of left field that I'm good with it. Most of the othe specials are mediocre or bad IMHO. Except the Silver Snoopy - that one is just awesome.
    Geoff used to race around on a Brodie Sovereign
    Geoff Morgan

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456