Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glasses

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Glasses

Talking prescription glasses here, not sunglasses. What are the cool kid wearing?
    "SHUT UP LEGS"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Glasses

first off, we call them "spectacles" in the wardrobe dept.

secondly, i'm still sporting a old pair of titanium-framed, italian-made, polycarb/coated (coating long long gone), well beyond their fashionable expiration date, specs.

so i keep 'em hidden behind my grandpa's-got-a-winnabago fits-over polarized sunglasses. just to remove any possible level of kool status. see av.

astigmatized and slightly near-sighted, plus i needs eye-protection most of the time--i've never even considered contact lenses. too much stuff likely to get under them-and i've seen that "i gotta spec of fly turd under my contacts dance" one too many times to be interested.

carry on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like these and frequently get compliments on them. Retro styling, thin antireflective lenses. Nerds rule.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-eS...1000000082.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Designer Frames & Eyeglasses Online - $95 Rx Glasses | Warby Parker

I wear a few of the less "edgy" styles (I'm not that hip). Actually, looks like they've rotated out the styles that I own.

Read the "Our Story" link for the back story.

Also can try on before buying for free:

Home Try-On

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a big fan of Lindberg and Mykita

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EddieBirdsell View Post
    Designer Frames & Eyeglasses Online - $95 Rx Glasses | Warby Parker

I wear a few of the less "edgy" styles (I'm not that hip). Actually, looks like they've rotated out the styles that I own.

Read the "Our Story" link for the back story.

Also can try on before buying for free:

Home Try-On
    I really wanted to like the Warby Parker stuff, but they were all too big for my face ... guess that's the reason for the home tryon. That said, the whole process was very smooth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a set of Prada rimless glasses right now, but the lenses are cracking around the bolt holes so I'll need some new ones soon. When $500+ glasses are toast after a year it's time to look elsewhere. My insurance doesn't cover the frames (exam and lenses only), so I'm open to the cheapo mailorder options for my next pair. Liking the look of Warby Parker right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mykita is awesome.
    Moscat is pretty damn cool but might be a bit too hip.
    Warby seems cool, but might not be.

My square diors are pretty awesome, light, stylish, and Ti.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cursed with perfect vision because I'd like to have the option.
    Blessed with perfect vision because I have a giant noggin and there wouldn't be too many options.

However, these are on my radar:
    Warby Parker
    Moscot
    Oliver Peoples

Oh yeah, and acetate frames are cool.

Hit up vintage stores in your area if you want something unique and are the patient type.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Warbys are decent. For the money, they're excellent.

The home try on is great--they get to your house via 2nd day air, you get a week to try them on/take pix with your computer/get your hamster's opinion, then ship em back in the prepaid box.

I wear glasses 98% of the time and it's nice to have glasses that cost $400 that I need to worry about if I'm doing some work outside, working in the shop, etc.

Quality is okay; need occasional tightening, but so did my big$ armani/prada glasses...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    Hit up vintage stores in your area if you want something unique and are the patient type.
    Good point. I've also had surprisingly good luck buying vintage frames and sending them to the discount internet places to have the prescription filled for $30 or so (and a 3-6 week wait).

Same thing with old-school frames still being made by the likes of American Optical and Shuron -- see, e.g., my avatar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Modo 4007

GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been wearing these for a couple of years . . .

2.5 TWOPOINTFIVE

Super lightweight, indestructable, great colors that you can customize. Found out after-the-fact that they are popular with grade school kids for the same reasons that I like them. Part of the Italee/Kawasaki/Swiss Flex group.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by geoffk View Post
    Same thing with old-school frames still being made by the likes of American Optical and Shuron -- see, e.g., my avatar.
    On my second pair of Shuron Sidewinders. I bought both pairs from framesdirect.com. Both times, they have called to confirm and talk me through my order (the first to let me know the lenses I had chosen would be super-thick, the second to make sure I ordered the right size, since they were larger than my old pair).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've known a friend or two to put prescription lenses in Persol sunglass frames. It can be cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep it coming, I need a new set of glasses and can't find anything I like locally for a sane price. I have a big melon head and a lot of stuff doesnt look right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ray Ban titanium something-or-others (8611 I think). Nice when 2yr old son grabs them off my face every other day or so. He is not delicate.

As little metal as possible, not cool/hip - not trying to be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I checked out the Shuron site, and liked the styles, so I got in touch with them via the contact form. I was really impressed by the speed and thoroughness of the reply, and it contained useful info about buying direct from them. I'm posting it below, because it mentions how they'll send frames to you for trial for size/style, and also includes their pricing. Thought you folks might find it helpful. So far I'm very impressed with them; going to order some frames to try and hopefully move ahead.

Hello John,

Thank you for the interest in our frames. Here is how we can work........

To help you out, we can send any frame(s). The Ronsir (new, top quality frames with full warranty) from us directly with Slipper or Taper temples (pieces that go behind the ear) are $95. The Ronsir frames with the wrap around Aztec or Relaxo cable temples are $115. We have Relaxo temples for the Black Briar color and for all of the Ronsir ZYL colors. FedEx 2-day shipping is $12.95. Payment is via Visa or MasterCard. If you are unsure of the 54-22-150 size/style/color, we can send 3-4 varying frames, only charge for one frame plus one shipping charge, let you try on the frames to evaluate and trust you to return any/all frames. There is no obligation. All is refundable except shipping. So, either $107.95 or $127.95 gets the trial.

We handle all types of lenses as well. The price is based upon your prescription
    values, if any, and what features you would like. All of the options for great quality, clear, single vision lenses with UV protection and scratch protection are......

Regular plastic - $80 per pair.
    Polycarbonate - $90 per pair. The poly will be a bit thinner than the plastic (about 20%) and yet tougher as poly is impact resistant. Many will argue that the poly has the lowest quality optics when compared to glass and plastic. The optics are not poor, just a bit less.
    True glass - $145 per pair. The glass lenses are more "old school." The lenses will be heavier, but will be the most scratch resistant and will be around forever unless they are dropped a lot. The glass can chip if the frames are dropped on hard surfaces.
    High index plastic 1.67 - $150. 30% thinner than regular plastic.
    Highest index plastic 1.7+ - $260. The thinnest and lightest lenses made and includes anti-reflective (AR) coating. AR helps with extended wear, night driving, TV watching, film watching, the general appearance of the lenses, etc. as it cuts reflections into the eyes. AR added to all the other lenses is $60. So a pair of polycarbonate lenses with AR is $90 + $60.
    For your values we would suggest the 1.67 or the 1.7+.

If you go with the trial, after you receive the frames you can.......

- Request lenses. We start with another frame just like the one you select. We do not have to wait for any frames to be returned to begin lenses. After you receive the completed order, please return the trial frames.
    - Keep none and please return the trial frames for refund less shipping.
    - Keep the one you like and please return the other trial frames. We would be even.
    - Request another frame/size. Shipping charges would apply.

To return frames, regular mail is fine. We recommend delivery confirmation.

To order we would need to know - do you consider yourself to be average
    size, smaller or larger? If you currently wear glasses, are there any
    numerical markings on them? If no markings, what is the width and height of your current frames? Which color(s)? Then - Visa or MC # with
    the expiration date and the billing/shipping addresses. You can email the info. or call
    800-242-3636 Monday-Friday 9-5 Eastern time. Our secure location for sending credit info. is https://secure.shuron.com/contact.htm . The entire form is secure and the info. can be entered in the "Comments" section.

To determine the width of a Ronsir or Revelation, the formula is....

10mm + eye size + bridge size + eye size + 10mm.
    The 10mm values are the amounts that the plastic pieces extend from the lenses. The eye size is the width of each lens and the bridge size is the distance between the 2 lenses.

The heights of the frames in millimeters are.....

Eye Size Ronsir Revelation

54 48 41
    52 46 39
    50 44 37
    48 42 35
    46 40 33
    44 38 31

As an example, a 54-22 Ronsir will have a width of 10 + 54 + 22 + 54 + 10 for 150mm. The height will be 48mm.

Regards,

Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got my Warby Parker "Home Try-On Kit" today. Extremely slick. At these prices, they offer the perfect back-up pair.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fatchanceti View Post
    Ray Ban titanium something-or-others (8611 I think).
    Yep. I've been very impressed with my Ray-Bans. Plenty durable and absurdly light. As hip as you'd want to be in a small town.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast