Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Outdoorsy Work Shirts

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Outdoorsy Work Shirts

I've worn my old fave down to the bones and am hoping to find another that will wear so well.

it was a flannel-lined denim job, heavier than uniform-service work shirts, but lighter than a jacket, always worn as a jacket. maybe i'll get industrious and take photos tomorrow.

can't find anything similar and meet my quirky little domestic at a fair price requirement. i just received a Prison Blues hickory long-sleeved, button-front (they also do zippered pull-overs and short sleeves). it's made of 8 oz. "hickory striped" cotton. so far i like, but it will take a couple of months to see how it shapes up and if it has any staying power.

at this turn in the trail, form follows function and fashion falls where it meh - not my concern.

whatchallgot?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Outdoorsy Work Shirts

Do you want to stick with cotton? If so, I'm not sure.

If you're open to wool, I'd suggest Bemidji Woolen Mills Jac Shirt.

I've been wearing Bemidji Wooolen Mills since I was a tot. It's as good as it comes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great minds...
    I've been eyeballing this the Woolrich "Men's Charley Shirt Jac"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check these out. 'Taint cheap but nuthin' good is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have wool. I love wool. But all my wool is heavy stuff.

Wool is an option, but I SUCK at keeping the moths out of it...i gotta work on that, lost too many jerseys that way. yeah, i know how--doing it is the issue.

Really though, denim/duck/canvas is what this is about (so far). The flannel-lined denim was perrrrrrrrrfect...smells good now too as i let a person of the female persuasionl wear it the other night. i'm going to patch it up...just can't find anything similar.

@XR2, that's not pricey at all. imported from where? I do buy imports when doing without or buying used is not an option, but on a country-by-country basis. OH LOOKIE GUSSETS!!!

OH and the Prison Blues shirt is coming along nicely. It comes raw and shrank/softened considerably with the first washing. Definitely going to get another one in short sleeves, but will wait to see just how much this one shrinks. ALSO, being raw, should take to dying well enough. Not crazy 'bout the stripe...and that's the _only_ fabric offered. The quality of the shirt has convinced me that it's "safe" to buy the jeans they offer. Want to try the double-front pants, but damn i'm going to miss the gusset i'm so used to---but that's another thread.

every permutation of the Oregon Dept. of Corrections genuine USA Convict Labor-made shirts (available at fine logger-supply outlets everywhere):

Last edited by WadePatton; 08-21-2011 at 10:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hey Wade, Filson still makes a few of their shirts in the US. Plenty of options but you have to check on each for the US models:

Mens Shirts | Filson

Harth
    Wabi Woolens - Quality Wool Cycling Jerseys

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like just about everything about the PB shirts- but to get arms long enough/ shoulders broad enough I needed to wear a tent like XL. I'm not a very big guy- closer to a s/m in those.
    Last edited by Eric Estlund; 08-30-2011 at 08:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wrt PB: Hasn't been cool enough to wear mine much yet. but at those prices, why not get the xl taken up locally.

or rip the sleeves off like LTCG. i'm going to get one of the short-sleeve pull-overs to use like a shop apron---and they make those too. going to take several more washings before i get a hint as to whether or not i guessed the size right, but love them raw unsized cottons.
    Last edited by WadePatton; 08-31-2011 at 12:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just general frustration with cloths cut for fat t-rex.

Note- I'm not a skinny dude, but work and "traditional" (but modern cut) outdoor wear seems to be for a different demographic.

I actually considered having it taken in, but it would basically be a rebuild. I've just gotten use to rolling up sleeves.