Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Jeans:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Jeans:

I have an order in with these folks. I’m all for supporting US businesses making products with textiles milled here. Nice prices and their ethos seems to align with my own beliefs.

https://dearborndenim.us/
    Solitudinally challenged

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bbillington View Post
    I have an order in with these folks. I’m all for supporting US businesses making products with textiles milled here. Nice prices and their ethos seems to align with my own beliefs.

https://dearborndenim.us/
    from the FAQ page:

Where are your products made?
    Dearborn Denim started in 2016 manufacturing jeans in Chicago using American made denim. In 2017 both DenimNorth America and Cone Denim announced the closure of standard denim weaving at their USA based facilities. Dearborn Denim was able to source specially made runs at DNA through 2018. However, at the end of 2018 it was decided that these production runs were not practical for either organization. Since then we have been sourcing our denim from Cone Mill’s internationally renowned plant inParas, MX.

¡Olé!

Personally, I couldn't care less where my products are made, as long as the quality is good and they aren't sacrificing weasels or using child labor to produce what I want.

Dearborn's stuff looks really nice. Thanks for the link!

I'm still waiting for a Taiwanese company to open a facility in Italy so they can claim "Made in Italy" or to import Italian frame builders so they can claim "Italian Made".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bbattle View Post
    from the FAQ page:

Where are your products made?
    Dearborn Denim started in 2016 manufacturing jeans in Chicago using American made denim. In 2017 both DenimNorth America and Cone Denim announced the closure of standard denim weaving at their USA based facilities. Dearborn Denim was able to source specially made runs at DNA through 2018. However, at the end of 2018 it was decided that these production runs were not practical for either organization. Since then we have been sourcing our denim from Cone Mill’s internationally renowned plant inParas, MX.

¡Olé!

Personally, I couldn't care less where my products are made, as long as the quality is good and they aren't sacrificing weasels or using child labor to produce what I want.

Dearborn's stuff looks really nice. Thanks for the link!

I'm still waiting for a Taiwanese company to open a facility in Italy so they can claim "Made in Italy" or to import Italian frame builders so they can claim "Italian Made".
    I do care and am disappointed to hear that they can’t source American milled fabric. Thanks for letting me know. I’m sure you were just being kind in doing so and not trying burst my bubble, right?
    Solitudinally challenged

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It may be covered earlier in this thread but I'm pretty sure most of the denim looms (or whatever they are called) in the US got sold off and Japan bought a bunch. Japanese denim was all the rage after that.

P.S. This post is based only on my poor memory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought a pair of dearborns and love them. Today, I ordered another pair.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did find this company that claims Made in USA:

https://www.allamericanclothing.com/collections/jeans

".......This jean is Made in the USA all the way from the materials to the labor."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I'm walking back my recommendation for Dearborn. Apparently the move to MX denim can be seen in the quality of the fabric. The new ones wore through fast and a pair of on-sale Levis 511s I picked up wore through even faster. So, anyone have recommendations for attractive, durable denim jeans with a trim fit that will withstand an active guy?
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmgorman View Post
    Well, I'm walking back my recommendation for Dearborn. Apparently the move to MX denim can be seen in the quality of the fabric. The new ones wore through fast and a pair of on-sale Levis 511s I picked up wore through even faster. So, anyone have recommendations for attractive, durable denim jeans with a trim fit that will withstand an active guy?
    Tellason anything (I’m partial to the red dot Japanese black denim.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they do not have any US connection, but you might have a look at Hiut Denim Co. They are based in Wales UK, and get most of their denim from selvedge mills in Japan. They are fairly "green" for jeans people (jeans use a lot of water to produce), have several different cuts depending on your taste and shape. They require a lot of wearing. They advise careful and sparing washing. I have a few pairs and some shorts and doubt I will need any more jeans. They cost a lot, but sometimes have returns sales.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About 10 years ago I found a Timberland jean that fit me well and were decent quality. I’d never spent $100 on a pair of jeans before.

When I went back they had completely changed their range and now they’re all low rise skinny fit.

I have a search alert for the style and size on eBay and manage to get 1 or 2 pairs per year which is keeping me going. The best ones are the Cordura blend ones - makes the fabric much more wear resistant. Recently I got a pair of those BNWT for about $40.

When I finally run out I’ve been looking at those Hiut ones - they do look good and have a fit that looks like what I need.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    Tellason anything (I’m partial to the red dot Japanese black denim.)
    Sponsor correct as always! I had forgotten about this connection and will take a look.
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For more wallet friendly, I'd look into Naked and Famous, not MUSA but made in Canada. The names of the cuts are odd, but they have multiple that will work.

You can never go wrong with Iron Heart. I'd suggest 777s - the indigo snake.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sponsor correct as always! I had forgotten about this connection and will take a look.
    me in my tellason tuxedo (the japanese red dot stuff.)

2E99CC5B-02D6-46CB-A0B1-D9B3F3A0ECC6.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just chiming in with thanks to this thread for introducing me to Dearborn. Have two pairs now, more to come. I’ve found my alternative to 20 years of Levi’s 514’s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should there be an (upper) age limit for wearer of these jeans with a Rick & Morty flair? See below for the details on the leather patch and back pocket. While I'm pretty sure I can remove the leather patch, the embroidery on the pocket might be a tougher ask.

Why bother, you might ask? B/c I otherwise really like these 15 oz. jeans. But I'm getting the sense that I may be a bit too old and uptight for the flair (see my previous post about penchant for three-piece tweed suits).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would suggest that the slubby nature of the denim (rough warp and weft texture) may be more off putting than an embroidered pickle in eh scheme of those jeans.

Slubby takes a special kind of denimhead to appreciate fully.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless it's lightweight, somewhat breathable material, IMO this is the wrong time of year to be talking jeans and denim, at least here in St Louis, where it will soon be way too hot and muggy for “normal” jeans.

But if you know of any with less than say, 9 oz / square yard do let me know. (extra credit given if they aren’t silly-expensive)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    Unless it's lightweight, somewhat breathable material, IMO this is the wrong time of year to be talking jeans and denim, at least here in St Louis, where it will soon be way too hot and muggy for “normal” jeans.

But if you know of any with less than say, 9 oz / square yard do let me know. (extra credit given if they aren’t silly-expensive)
    Never the wrong time; jeans all year round!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by COVRTDESIGN View Post
    Never the wrong time; jeans all year round!
    I've been in Denver during the summer, so yeah, I can believe that.

Unfortunately, those of use who have to deal with the humidity don't have that luxury.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    I've been in Denver during the summer, so yeah, I can believe that.

Unfortunately, those of use who have to deal with the humidity don't have that luxury.
    I grew up in Vermont, 95% humidity. Still rocking the denim.