Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeans:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Jeans:

I am hard on my cloths. Really hard on them-- I work in an art dept often fixing old, dirty stuff or playing with chemistry. Unfortunately, I also have to look presentable for meetings or classroom time.

Levis were my go-to but their denim seems to get cheaper and cheaper -- its now very easy for me to put a hole in em within 6 months.

So before I go back to buying Carhartts and Dickies , what brands of jeans offer a quality (heavy) denim w/out the construction worker look?
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Jeans:

ewww...Good one here!

I have no idea!
    But I long to hear what the other guys have to say!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wear Carhartts when working around the farm. Even when they cut, the weave tends to fluff and keep the hole from getting bigger. They wear pretty well too. I just wish they made 'em to fit my ass correctly. I always feel like I'm exposing myself a little when kneeling - and I'm no plumber. As stated previously, J-Lo and I must have common branches in our family trees.
    Last edited by WayneJ; 08-19-2011 at 02:21 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the best is Diamond Gusset. made in TN of cotton grown in the South. If you've ever seen me at NAHBS, that's what I'm wearing. I wear their painter shorts almost exclusively in warm weather.

they fit different--but consistent! use their measuring method to determine best fit...don't order a truckload until you've determined your DG size.

limited styles and colors (blue, black, tan, sometimes natural) and dammit I'd love for them to make a shirt/jacket and bibs. the also make kevlar-lined motorcycle jeans yo!

i have a Prison Blues denim shirt in the mail right now. will report on that--they make jeans too, but i don't expect them to be nearly as "polished" as the DG. Prison Blues are brought to you by the Oregon Dept. of Corrections-and the only other USA-mfg brand i've found. PB also makes a double-kneed pant, for us hard-chargers.

i was a levi's guy until they went to mexico in the 90's. and the sizes and sewing went to shit. eff the big brands.

Men's Diamond Gusset Jeans

Bailey's - Prison Blues Double Knee Rigid Work Jeans

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know exactly what you are talking about. I worked in an electrical supply warehouse during the summers while in college back in the 80s. Battery acid from operating the forklifts would eat a hole in the seat of my jeans after a month, so I would go through two or three pairs every summer. I doubt the current import Levis would have lasted two weeks, they are like tissue paper.

If you can swing $140 for jeans, I like the "Levis for Brooks Bothers." They are US-made (not Mexico) using good imported denim. Don't know if it is true, but I heard that Levis sold all their old looms to Japan, so the good denim is no longer madein the US.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/timele...sics/levis.tem

I also like Mountain Khakis for tough, jean-style pants. But they are khakis.

http://www.mountainkhakis.com/

I'm looking forward to seeing this thread develop . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are in LA? Go to Self Edge. Just go and look and talk to them (Kiya - the owner might be there, but he splits his time between SF, LA, and NY) and look around a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn, those Levis look rad but if I'm gonna d rop $150 on a pair of jeans I'm not going to want to get them dirty.

I took a look at LL Bean's stuff but they make me look like a Gomer.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billrick View Post

If you can swing $140 for jeans, I like the "Levis for Brooks Bothers." They are US-made (not Mexico) using good imported denim. Don't know if it is true, but I heard that Levis sold all their old looms to Japan, so the good denim is no longer madein the US.

It's been six years, but when I was in a Levi's shop in Tokyo, it was a different world. The jeans looked much better, but were also at a MUCH higher pricepoint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

140 FRN will (almost, they went up recently) buy 3 pairs of the DG's and four of five pair of the PB's.

HELL, 140 FRN will buy KEVLAR lined DG's! WTF are people thinking? Expensive doesn't _necessarily_ mean better.

also, the "gusset" provides more room for le package.

never had a "binding/blinding" situation since converting to DG's. Head-high snap kicks, no problem for grasshopper (gusset+m/a yo).

The founder of DG worked for Levi's BITD. They told him it couldn't be done. He said, "Watch me." He's doing it--using domestic materials and labor to produce a superior product sold at a reasonable price. It's time for the word to get out.

i've worn everything else, Carharts, LLBean, Gap, etc....as i sad, these are the best and only competitively priced DOMESTIC product. I wore my tan pair to a wedding recently.
    Last edited by WadePatton; 08-19-2011 at 03:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 for Mtn Khakis gusseted crotch for the win
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Levis 501 shrink to fit are the toughest jeans I've owned. Shepler's Western wear online has terrific prices and fast delivery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by false_aesthetic View Post
    Damn, those Levis look rad but if I'm gonna d rop $150 on a pair of jeans I'm not going to want to get them dirty.

I took a look at LL Bean's stuff but they make me look like a Gomer.
    I struggled with this recently. I'm not going to wear any disco jeans, like Lucky or Guess. There really is no substitute Levis 501. But after numerous pairs at $60 a pop, I decided the Mexico-made jeans were crap. You can get US made Levis from J Crew, Blackbird, and directly from Levis. They all cost more then $140. Direct from Levis is $178:

Levi's Made in the USA 501® Original Jeans - Raw Selvedge - See All Jeans

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Levis 501 shrink to fit are the toughest jeans I've owned. Shepler's Western wear online has terrific prices and fast delivery.
    Alas my Thunder Thighs don't like 501s. Damn my Inca heritage!!!!
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by false_aesthetic View Post
    Alas my Thunder Thighs don't like 501s. Damn my Inca heritage!!!!
    There's no Inca in me but my thighs don't like 501s either. I've got a few pairs of the Carhartt relaxed fit jeans.
    Carhartt - Product - Men’s Relaxed Fit Jean
    They don't have any of the extra pockets or loops, so they just look like plain jeans. they are holding up very well.
    I'd never heard of Diamond Gusset, but I'll check them out. The crotch reminds me of the old Chuck Norris action jeans.
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm 6'3'', 185ish and I can wear 510s or 511s. My thighs and ass ain't small. I really think people saying they can't do it just aren't used to wearing jeans that actually fit. Almost everyone can fit 501s.

And if you can justify spending the money- like you live in a pair of jeans- go with Japanese Denim. Shitz nutzoid. Totes.

-C
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Todd Shelton

Men's Jeans - Denim Jeans, Blue Jeans - Made in America by Todd Shelton | New York

American Denim, American Made. The BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED IN MY LIFE!

They offer a Selvage jean if you want old school denim.

As good as his jeans are, his pants are better.

enjoy,
    shaner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    DG made a run of button-fly "raw" denims a while back. I got three pair. wish i could have scored a dozen...not a regular menu item. but trust me, as i know you do, it's the same weight fabric and rivets and buttons--gusset is only diff.

try american.
    Last edited by WadePatton; 08-19-2011 at 10:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WadePatton View Post
    DG made a run of button-fly "raw" denims a while back. I got three pair. wish i could have scored a dozen...not a regular menu item. but trust me, as i know you do, it's the same weight fabric and rivets and buttons--gusset is only diff.

try american.
    I can't hang with a button fly. I'd be peeing myself constantly.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best pair of jeans I ever owned, that got beat to shit, still looked good, fit amazingly, and lasted forever....were from Abercrombie. 2001, I believe. They died 2yrs ago.

No jeans have ever compared. The closest I've had so far were some Diesels (Zatiny). Only they were 2x the price.

I dread the search for jeans this year. Requirements: medium to low rise, snug thigh, slight boot cut, burly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of my favorite jeans ever were Old Navy. The relaxed fit normal 5 pocket jeans. They weren't trendy, so they're gone:(
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast