Thread: Jeans:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Jeans:

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    You are the style guru. If you don't know, what hope is ere for any of the rest of us knowing this? Aside, of course, from don't wear them in ball and ass funk inducing conditions.
    I play the drums.

The. Drums.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    I play the drums.

The. Drums.
    You own too many shirts to be a drummer.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play the drums.

The. Drums.
    So does this guy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Levis 513 did not work. My wife: "It looks like you're wearing my jeans. It looks like you have labia..."

Ouch.
    Levis 514s after all. $45 at an army-navy store in Ann Arbor. Done.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, here's my take on Todd Shelton jeans discussed earlier. Their customer service is great -- they go out of their way to try to get you in the right size, fit etc and clearly are trying to keep you as a long term customer. As for the jeans themselves, their fit did not work out for me despite multiple attempts at sizes and styles. Like many cyclists, I'm very slim but have legs and ass that are disproportionate for my size. A better fit for me are Patagonia jeans (my regular brand), which, like much of their stuff, are cut for wiry fit guys like me -- the waist is narrow relative to the room in the seat. If you are cyclist carrying, say, an extra 20 pounds or a scrawny club kid, then Todd Shelton would probably work better for you than they did for me.

Also, I'd say overall the quality of the Patagonia jeans was a tiny bit higher. The stitching seemed slightly more even and precise, the denim slightly heavier (compared to the cheaper Todd Shelton American denim I chose), the rivets and buttons perhaps slightly nicer. The P's also cost $20 less (and can be bought on sale sometimes for $55) and are made of organic cotton by a very decent company.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sexy mirror selfies of DarrenCT in his new 511s to the highest bidder.

Aaaaaaaaannnnd Go!
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About 2 weeks in on my latest pair if 510s. These have no built-in stretch. I'll report back in another 50 weeks.

To the guys who never wash them,

How do you keep them from getting that hot ass and balls funk?

Hugs,

C
    Some guys freeze them to kill the funk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

took advantage of the warm weather yesterday and went strolling around Manhattan with the mrs. - On a whim i picked up a pair of Naked and Famous selvedge made jeans. Fit is very good for me, and the material really feels like it's going to go the long haul. price tag was a little steep, but hopefully these will stand the test of time, i practically live in jeans these days. i'm wearing them this morning and they are stiff as a board, they are going to need some serious breaking in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by al415 View Post
    Some guys freeze them to kill the funk.
    Doesn't work. I forgot where I read it but the gist of it is you are just slowing the growth of bacteria. As soon as you take them out the bacteria start doing their thing as usual, again. I've been bike commuting a lot over the past two years and have ruined almost every pair of jeans I own. Don't wear them much these days for that reason. After I ruined a 5+ year old pair of Cheap Mondays I got in Stockholm that was IT. Since I live in Williamsburg I still sometimes wear them with the tear. I once saw a guy walking down the street with flippers, swim trunks, and a snorkel on so I have a bit of leeway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lukasz View Post
    Doesn't work. I forgot where I read it but the gist of it is you are just slowing the growth of bacteria. As soon as you take them out the bacteria start doing their thing as usual, again. I've been bike commuting a lot over the past two years and have ruined almost every pair of jeans I own. Don't wear them much these days for that reason. After I ruined a 5+ year old pair of Cheap Mondays I got in Stockholm that was IT. Since I live in Williamsburg I still sometimes wear them with the tear. I once saw a guy walking down the street with flippers, swim trunks, and a snorkel on so I have a bit of leeway.
    You're correct in that it _slows_ but doesn't kill the funk. It can be helpful if you need to push back the washing just a bit.

This kickstarter looks legit, though I wonder if the volume is getting too high for them. I'm pretty meh on kickstarters, but these guys have at least done this before. Put this on has a good little post with a couple links.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This whole idea of not washing your jeans for many months is reminds me Elizabethan "love apples". Everyone was doing it, it seemed like a good idea at the time...

It's not. It is just nasty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prison Blues question:

I know they shrink. Length and width or just width?

Thanks
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reply to myself:

Prison Blues are sized small. If you wear a 31, buy a 32. IF you buy the rigid, add another inch... 33"
    The length does shrink but it supposedly shrinks to the advertized length. e.g. 31L stars off closer to 32 and shrinks down to 31.
    This according to their customer service.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW:

I finally got my hands on some prison blues. I ordered the relaxed fit because Thunder Thighs here turns jeans for normal people into jeggings. I would've been fine with a pair of normal jeans ... the person that fills these up is the person that wins the Armarillo 72oz steak challenge.

I ordered the rigid. Denim is nice and stiff. Quality is on par with Carhartts... Totally worth the $30 bucks. I'm pretty sure these will last forever
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is tailoring inherent in higher end denim like it is in other high end trousers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by soupless View Post
    Is tailoring inherent in higher end denim like it is in other high end trousers?
    Other than chain stitching the hem, no. However, fine denim from a good seller will include this, and many will also be able to conduct denim repair.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ended up with a NWT pair of Rag and Bone RB 15s. They're just too baggy beneath the knee. It seems like that should be fixable, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by soupless View Post
    I ended up with a NWT pair of Rag and Bone RB 15s. They're just too baggy beneath the knee. It seems like that should be fixable, right?
    It should be fixable, but you'll want to have it done by someone you trust, and you'll probably want to specify that they taper it by taking in the inseam only. If they do the outseam, you'll lose your selvage line.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    took advantage of the warm weather yesterday and went strolling around Manhattan with the mrs. - On a whim i picked up a pair of Naked and Famous selvedge made jeans. Fit is very good for me, and the material really feels like it's going to go the long haul. price tag was a little steep, but hopefully these will stand the test of time, i practically live in jeans these days. i'm wearing them this morning and they are stiff as a board, they are going to need some serious breaking in.

over a month in, with pretty regular wear, my naked&famous jeans are just starting to break in. still stiff as hell though. these are a great pair of selvedge denim jeans, i expect them to be with me for a lot of adventures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Dyer View Post
    It should be fixable, but you'll want to have it done by someone you trust, and you'll probably want to specify that they taper it by taking in the inseam only. If they do the outseam, you'll lose your selvage line.
    Exactly. Not very hard to do. Ideally, they will cut and re-surge/finish the inner before resewing and top stitching. Otherwise, the inner seam can get bulky.