Thread: Jeans:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Jeans:

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    Chase I need your help here. I cannot find a pair of jeans to fit. I need something to fit my big ass and big legs, but not be too big in the waist. Most stuff is 2-3" too big in the waist once I get the rest of me in there. I really do not like wearing a belt, so I need something that isn't going to fall off me once I wear it for a couple of hours. I only need to have them for the occasional off island trip. These will not be worn in the home area code.
    Not exactly the pinnacle of fashion, but the Wranglers I describe above are what you are after fit wise. Mine have about 12" of rise, and the fit is remarkably similar to a pair of M2 Bills Khakis through the waist, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheEllipse View Post
    So, if I wanted 514's with more front rise and a little less baggy at the ankles, what should I be looking for? Not looking for skinny jeans, for what it's worth.
    513, same size or 501, sized down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cool, thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So after living in/with 505s forever, I faced the fact that, um, they really don't fit me all that well. Baggy in the ass, baggy above the knees... This realization came after I saw my wife devote a few hours to figuring out what really fits her, and going from some truly unflattering jeans to a pair that looks so good on her that I just want. to. take. them. off.

Anyways...

I took her with me so she could provide honest feedback and was surprised to find that my/her favorite was a plain old pair of Old Navy Slim/Straight, 31-30s (Even my 19 yr old daughter said nice things about them.) Yeah, the denim could be higher quality and the pre-fade is just OK. But they're $35. If I get a couple years out of them I will not be able to complain.

cn5161128.jpg

I also tried on the 514s. They were close to correct, but not quite there. I'm going to go track down some 513s. If they fit as well as the O.N. Slim/Straights I'll have a lot more fabric options - heavier denim, even light khaki denim - for my next couple pairs of jeans.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    So after living in/with 505s forever, I faced the fact that, um, they really don't fit me all that well. Baggy in the ass, baggy above the knees... This realization came after I saw my wife devote a few hours to figuring out what really fits her, and going from some truly unflattering jeans to a pair that looks so good on her that I just want. to. take. them. off.

Anyways...

I took her with me so she could provide honest feedback and was surprised to find that my/her favorite was a plain old pair of Old Navy Slim/Straight, 31-30s (Even my 19 yr old daughter said nice things about them.) Yeah, the denim could be higher quality and the pre-fade is just OK. But they're $35. If I get a couple years out of them I will not be able to complain.

cn5161128.jpg

I also tried on the 514s. They were close to correct, but not quite there. I'm going to go track down some 513s. If they fit as well as the O.N. Slim/Straights I'll have a lot more fabric options - heavier denim, even light khaki denim - for my next couple pairs of jeans.
    i need the baggy ass and knees ok -- no need for more room in the "baggy arena..," guess i'll just stay a 505..
    damn, 30/31 -- think i was there at birth..

to be slim like yo bro david, but with you --- our ladies still look'n good..

baggy ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i never ever wear denim. ya can't bike in 'em so why bother? chafey....
    khakis forever.
    if i was a workin' cowboy maybe...
    and "pre-fade"?
    um, no.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    Saw them in person. They looked legit.

Justin, please report back after they break in.
    Got a few weeks of wear on these pants now. Still looking good, still pretty stiff, no washes or rinses yet. Getting more comfortable with the day.

They look pretty good and are certainly durable for the money. Let you know in 6 months or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this place is right down the road and i've been meaning to pick up a pair. they get REAL good reviews.
    Baldwin Denim & Collection | Kansas City | Shop Online

also, the rapha jeans are the best fitting pair of jeans i've ever had. better than 501s, my old baseline.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Levis 513 did not work. My wife: "It looks like you're wearing my jeans. It looks like you have labia..."

Ouch.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About 2 weeks in on my latest pair if 510s. These have no built-in stretch. I'll report back in another 50 weeks.

To the guys who never wash them,

How do you keep them from getting that hot ass and balls funk?

Hugs,

C
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Levis 513 did not work. My wife: "It looks like you're wearing my jeans. It looks like you have labia..."

Ouch.
    Yikes! I wear 513s and my wife has never said anything like that to me. Either she's not being honest, you're body is that different than mine, or you got the wrong size.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About 2 weeks in on my latest pair if 510s. These have no built-in stretch. I'll report back in another 50 weeks.

Hugs,

C

In college I never washed my jeans. I just covered the smell by hanging out in smoke filled bars. Now I freshen them up with a quick "fluff" cycle in the dryer with a dryer sheet if I'm too lazy to wash them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do not get the "not wash" thing.. When i went to Imogene and Willies, they recommended not washing them for a year!! Holy shit, i work and live in the south. How in the world do you not wash a pair of jeans for a year. Salsa butt and mustard nuts, 105* with 100% humidity, i dont care how long you sit in a coffee shop that seems bacterial-petrie at best. I get what they are talking about as far as the denim goes, but man hygiene.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hugs,

C
    Change your underwear daily.

Throw them in the freezer periodically.

Don't wear them when it is +90 or if you're going to go hiking. Take them off if you're going to just be sitting around on the couch.

Even with all this, I'm right around 7 months of pretty heavy wear on my I+W's and I'll wash soon. The whiskers are just now starting to set, so I'll wait til they fade a bit more and wash. I'd like to wash due to stretching, not smell, FWIW.

I have a couple of pairs of Jean Shops made with Japanese selvedge that look like they'll fade much quicker. The Cone Mills denim in the I+Ws is really resilient, for lack of a better term.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyhillrambler View Post
    I do not get the "not wash" thing.. When i went to Imogene and Willies, they recommended not washing them for a year!! Holy shit, i work and live in the south. How in the world do you not wash a pair of jeans for a year. Salsa butt and mustard nuts, 105* with 100% humidity, i dont care how long you sit in a coffee shop that seems bacterial-petrie at best. I get what they are talking about as far as the denim goes, but man hygiene.
    Freezing the jeans will slow down bacteria's growth. Flipping them inside out and letting them sit in the sun will kill the bacteria.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hugs,

C
    Every now and then, they'll need a wash. Apparently, freezing them in a plastic bag for 24-48 hours kills the bacteria though. I put mine in the freezer before a trip, pulled them out 6 weeks later and they smelled a few days later again. So it may or may not actually work.

Just give them a french bath daily.

Edit: Oh yeah - I do the "lay them out in the sun" thing too, but I usually remember them 1/2 way through a rainstorm. This post makes me sound way too forgetful about things.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cody.wms View Post
    Freezing the jeans will slow down bacteria's growth. Flipping them inside out and letting them sit in the sun will kill the bacteria.
    Washing them works too right?

I missed the part about why you are holding out on washing them - the manufacturers are doing/not doing something that makes this necessary?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    Washing them works too right?

I missed the part about why you are holding out on washing them - the manufacturers are doing/not doing something that makes this necessary?
    The main reason for not washing is .... When you wear raw untreated denim, you develop creases and fades from normal use. Each time you wash, a little indigo is lost and the fade diminishes a little and makes the creases and fades less defined. At some point when you feel they are "broken in" and no longer need definition, you can wash all you want. Also - not washing can lead to breakage or tears with cheaper denim as the raw denim can be brittle.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    The main reason for not washing is .... When you wear raw untreated denim, you develop creases and fades from normal use. Each time you wash, a little indigo is lost and the fade diminishes a little and makes the creases and fades less defined. At some point when you feel they are "broken in" and no longer need definition, you can wash all you want. Also - not washing can lead to breakage or tears with cheaper denim as the raw denim can be brittle.
    Yup, this is why. If you don't wash, the denim will stress at the same places, leading to interesting fades like this:
    tumblr_mcu3u6dUxu1qdbn9do1_500.jpg

From the It's worn Tumblr.

So, you have two things that go on when you wash, as velobran said, the entire jean fades, reducing contrast, and the denim "resets" for lack of a better term, meaning that the stress points wont be in the same place.

But if your ish stinks, and freezing/sunning won't work, wash it. No one will want to be around you if you smell like a giant ass crack.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hugs,

C
    You are the style guru. If you don't know, what hope is ere for any of the rest of us knowing this? Aside, of course, from don't wear them in ball and ass funk inducing conditions.