Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeans:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Jeans:

Just got the 501 shrink to fits and am worried I got them too large. Time will tell.
    I also got the 513's. Legs of 511 with 514 waist. Win all 'round.
    I write for daily serving

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those with access, uniqlo just released a windproof jean. very reasonably priced. their stuff fits well, although I don't know how long it'll last with hard use for $50.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    I had a pair of Rescues that I used for maybe 2 years. I also had a pair of New Standards that my legs just couldn't fit into - I wore them for a few weeks and the legs weren't giving any so I sold them. They will fade nicely though and are a good fit for most occasions.

With regular (daily) wear - they'll last for a little while. If you are hard on them, you'll get crotch blowout (depending on how tight) and holes in the pockets rather quickly. But see how you like them ... then next time spend a little more and get 3Sixteen. You can go to their shop in NYC - I think its part of the Self Edge shop.
    Hows the fit on the 3sixteen compared to a New Standard? I was looking at them, never tried them on. I need to make a trip to SelfEdge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SignatureJustin View Post
    Hows the fit on the 3sixteen compared to a New Standard? I was looking at them, never tried them on. I need to make a trip to SelfEdge.
    The slim 3Sixteen probably fits similar to the NS - the NS is probably a benchmark for slim/straight fit, its just a pain to get them sized right because of the stretching. You are so close to SelfEdge in NYC - you have to go see their selection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boundgear View Post
    Just got the 501 shrink to fits and am worried I got them too large. Time will tell.
    I also got the 513's. Legs of 511 with 514 waist. Win all 'round.
    Love me some 501 shrink to fits. I feel your pain, you may have to nip-tuck a pair before you find the correct size for future orders. Mine are ordered 3" + in the waist and legs. Once the material stops shrinking it's bulletproof.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by soupless View Post
    For those with access, uniqlo just released a windproof jean. very reasonably priced. their stuff fits well, although I don't know how long it'll last with hard use for $50.
    I'm wearing a pair of the darker ones right now, still with tags. Can't decide if I want to keep them or not. They were on sale for $30. I don't get this windproof thing and only noticed it when I was putting them on in the dressing room and they felt funny on the inside. Meh. I like my jeans with a lot of tapering on the bottom (a reasonable taper means I don't have to roll them up for my commute to work. Hooray!) and these are, well, straight.

I just spent my afternoon trying on various denim and didn't like any of it. My favorite jeans are a pair of GAP 1969 with a good cut for my skinny self that I got in 2007, and Cheap Monday stuff these days, though I only buy stuff when it is on sale because they're frickin' jeans and they're going to get wrecked. Those Gap jeans probably cost me $10 and the last pair of Cheap Monday I got cost me 10 euro. This designer jeans stuff blows my mind. I tried on a pair of jeans that were allegedly originally $800 the other day. They sucked too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm slightly reassured. I only got +2 waist and I'm pretty confident the shortest leg length will be fine. I'm not too tall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm done with wimpy ass 14.75oz denim. I just got some double-front (well it's 14.75oz double-fronted) logger jeans-unwashed and effing love 'em.

IF they had a button fly _and_ the gusset I'm so used to, they'd be ABSOLUTELY PERFECT for hard-driving hard yakka all day long. They are made in Oregon and cheaper (by nearly half) than my old fave--Diamond Gusset (made in Tennessee).

I was just wearing the DG's out too fast (the shorts). I do miss the gusset. Gussets should be mandatory--eliminates the squat and yelp syndrome. The sources I use for these pants only stock them with suspender buttons, but i'm pretty sure they make them without. Us woods rats like 'spenders.

Prison Blues yo. http://oce.oregon.gov/products/prison-blues/locator

I'll only go back to the DG when they do a button-fly run or some unwashed shorts or bibs...or a lined shirt! I'm PB'ing it for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if theyve been mentioned but Ive just started on my second pair of Unbranded selvage Japanese denim jeans. my first pair was the skinny fit and now I have the slim straight. Both fit the same way from waist to thigh which for me works (my wife loves the fit) I wore the first pair for almost exactly a year. First rinse at 5+ months in the Pacific on an LA visit. Second at 7 months with woolite black. third at 11 months in machine and even tumble dried em. My friend was into the raw Japanese thing and got me into it a bit. I am a woodworker/cabinetmaker and installer and can be quite hard on my clothes. The slim straight is a more traditional workwear look and I must say I LOVE the fit. My daily uniform also includes my brown horsehide thorougood boots (US made) that I got from Epaulet in NYC. They had a run done in horsehide in 2010 and then a second done in normal brown leather. theyve held up well and have developed a sweet patina.

The Unbrandeds are sold at Urban outfitters online only i think and for $68 are a good deal IMHO (or should(can) i say ATMO)?

Oh, theres an amazing shop here in PDX called reveille and they just got a run of cinchback style jend from MR freedom (made in LA I think). Anyhow, I heard they were running a "fade" contest which is interesting but the jeans are $300! yikes

George Ramos
    Portland, OR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I finally decided on Monday not to return my Uniqlo jeans with the thermal whatever inside and tore the tags off to go to work. Bad idea. The lining is super noisy against my legs when pedaling. If you're going to be commuting in your jeans I would avoid these.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

after my first jean shrinking, I'd advise anyone going the shrink to fit 501 route to buy 1 size up only if you prefer them loose.
    I'm going to buy a pair in my normal waist eventually and shrink them. I think that would be my ideal fit.

initial thoughts: shrink to fit 501's just feel more permanent than pre-shrunk levis. more solid and lasting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boundgear View Post
    after my first jean shrinking, I'd advise anyone going the shrink to fit 501 route to buy 1 size up only if you prefer them loose.
    I'm going to buy a pair in my normal waist eventually and shrink them. I think that would be my ideal fit.

initial thoughts: shrink to fit 501's just feel more permanent than pre-shrunk levis. more solid and lasting.
    The shrink-to-fit 501s are indeed just a bit more substantial. They are made of a slightly heavier denim, and the inseams are lap-felled, rather than the single-stitch featured on the pre-shrunk line.

I also wear the Wrangler 13MWZ jeans, as they are very traditional, have still offer the heavier 14.75 oz. fabric, and a double lap-felled outer seam, which I like. They do sport a slightly higher waist than 501s, so that may be a bummer for some, but they recently came out with an 'updated' model called 47MWZ. These are slightly lower-waisted than their 13MWZ 'cowboy cut' line, and offer a 14.75 oz. ring-spun denim that is supposed to last 20% longer than their 'regular' denim.

They have a double stitch detailing on both the inner and outer seams, so that should wear/look better as well.

Something to consider...

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick update . . . my Levis for Brooks Brothers 501s continue to be one of my favorite purchases in a long time. They are aging nicely, have a nice patina, and have held together great with almost daily wear. Nice quality, light years ahead of the import Levis. I wish they were a little heavier, but not a big deal. I think my next pair will be the Billy Reid Workwear 501s, selvedge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bought a pair of Todd Shelton American Darks recently, after reading about TS in this thread. I think this is the first time I spent a Benjamin on a pair of jeans, and this is venturing dangerously close to metrosexual territory for me. Overall impressions are good. The fit is good but not perfect - there's a little more ease in the waist than I'd like, and the thighs are pretty close, but they're definitely stretching to my shape. For the record, I'm on the fat side of an industry standard 31 waist, which is what I ordered. Construction looks good to my untrained eye; seams are straight, French seams on the legs give a clean look. Speaking of which, these things are stealth. No pocket decorations, no logo on the waist button, no waistband patch. I like that. Would buy again, if I ever feel I need TWO pairs of expensive jeans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't even fit 510 levis over my calfs, 511s are snug over my thighs, but doable sorta. No squatting here. Stretch denim doesn't last at all for me because I rub the crotch out and blow them out because of thigh size. I do have trackie legs, not climbers. I just got a pair of 520 tapers slouch to give my thighs some breathing room. Time will tell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ladies,

1. Buy fitted jeans that look good.
    2. Post this picture of rowdyhillrambler on your mirror.
    3. Shut up about your thighs.

Somebody biggups this guy in the man-crush thread.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    I had a pair of Rescues that I used for maybe 2 years. I also had a pair of New Standards that my legs just couldn't fit into - I wore them for a few weeks and the legs weren't giving any so I sold them. They will fade nicely though and are a good fit for most occasions.

With regular (daily) wear - they'll last for a little while. If you are hard on them, you'll get crotch blowout (depending on how tight) and holes in the pockets rather quickly. But see how you like them ... then next time spend a little more and get 3Sixteen. You can go to their shop in NYC - I think its part of the Self Edge shop.
    I've been wearing APC jeans for about 13 years or so - long enough to remember when they mailed out the A5-sized print catalog printed in french, english and japanese. I've had made-in-japan standards, made in tunisia hipsters, made in macau new standards, cures, new cures, and I'm currently wearing a pair of petite standards. As much as I like the brand and the jeans, I have to say that over the years their prices have been creeping upwards and the quality has been creeping downwards. It's a shame, because the petite standards really do fit me better than any other jeans I've owned.

After the last price bump, a new pair of APCs is almost $200, which is only a bit less than the 3Sixteen jeans. Having had a chance to see the 3Sixteens in person, they really look great. I'm trying to stick with this "purchase items made in their original country of manufacture" thing, and to me the 3sixteens (being made in the US out of denim that is arguably better quality than what APC is using these days) are worth the extra $20 or $30.
    michael catano • humble frameworks
    chicago, il, usa • merci

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anon. View Post
    I've been wearing APC jeans for about 13 years or so - long enough to remember when they mailed out the A5-sized print catalog printed in french, english and japanese. I've had made-in-japan standards, made in tunisia hipsters, made in macau new standards, cures, new cures, and I'm currently wearing a pair of petite standards. As much as I like the brand and the jeans, I have to say that over the years their prices have been creeping upwards and the quality has been creeping downwards. It's a shame, because the petite standards really do fit me better than any other jeans I've owned.

After the last price bump, a new pair of APCs is almost $200, which is only a bit less than the 3Sixteen jeans. Having had a chance to see the 3Sixteens in person, they really look great. I'm trying to stick with this "purchase items made in their original country of manufacture" thing, and to me the 3sixteens (being made in the US out of denim that is arguably better quality than what APC is using these days) are worth the extra $20 or $30.
    Damn - even my first pair of APCs (not all that long ago - 4.5 years maybe) and they were $140 and right around that time there was a quality shift that people started bitching about. $200 is not worth it for those at all. 3Sixteen is going to be got very soon since all my denim is about 2 inches too large in the waist right now. I can't wait - I hear such good things about the 3Sixteen.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lukasz View Post
    Meh. I like my jeans with a lot of tapering on the bottom (a reasonable taper means I don't have to roll them up for my commute to work. Hooray!) and these are, well, straight.

I just spent my afternoon trying on various denim and didn't like any of it. My favorite jeans are a pair of GAP 1969 with a good cut for my skinny self that I got in 2007, and Cheap Monday stuff these days, though I only buy stuff when it is on sale because they're frickin' jeans and they're going to get wrecked. Those Gap jeans probably cost me $10 and the last pair of Cheap Monday I got cost me 10 euro. This designer jeans stuff blows my mind. I tried on a pair of jeans that were allegedly originally $800 the other day. They sucked too.
    im in the same boat as you i think. not often i find something at the right price and what im comfortable in.

I picked up a pair from Goi Goi a while back in an outlet store. Not what id nomally pick out but i tried them on and they felt really nice. I cant take the things off now. Tapered, real deep pockets, and they split in two in mine so things get nicely separated, don't fade in the wash.

i love em. i never been to their site before but i checked where it was so i could link it, seem like they have a sale on now too.

i dont know what model i got.

http://www.gio-goi.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some good recommendations here, but does anyone know of a good custom jeans manufacturer? I am a 32/38 and unfortunately off-the-rack will not fit.