Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Jeans:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Jeans:

It's the crotch blow outs that get me. I don't mind wear, but once I jump into the crotch blow out rabbit hole, they are done for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bought two pairs of the Cadence Collection's new dark indigo denims. Very nice jeans. A tad longer than the raw demins I already have, but in a good way. Fabric is stiff but not abrasive. More taper at the ankle but room at the thighs and a bit of stretch for mobility. At least initially, the dark indigo will come off on hands and furniture surfaces, but in my experience this usually bodes well for the look later on in the life of the jeans. Recommended.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Bought two pairs of the Cadence Collection's new dark indigo denims. Very nice jeans. A tad longer than the raw demins I already have, but in a good way. Fabric is stiff but not abrasive. More taper at the ankle but room at the thighs and a bit of stretch for mobility. At least initially, the dark indigo will come off on hands and furniture surfaces, but in my experience this usually bodes well for the look later on in the life of the jeans. Recommended.
    Have you tried Levis Commuters? I'm wondering how the Cadence stuff compares.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Heavier denim needs to get worn until it is nearly offensive before washing. Then wash inside out, invert to outside out when done, straighten/hand press and hang dry. Repeat until broken in. But basically still wear them several times before washing.
    I'm starting to get a little self-conscious...though, i don't smell anything. it's about to really be spring here, and the temps are gonna warm up. i think i'll wash them tonight. i want to avoid crotch blow-outs.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    So, the $80 Unbranded 201s showed up. As I said before, it's been a long time since I've purchased jeans.

14.5oz denim is stiff when new. Don't think I'll mess with their 21oz. Not sure on tapered, either. Too soon to tell.

I'll wear for the rest of the week and see how things go from there.
    wore these out in the field yesterday and got them pretty muddy....washed them, mud hasn't come off. deal with it, or is there some secret method of washing raw denim to get something like mud off?
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    It's the crotch blow outs that get me. I don't mind wear, but once I jump into the crotch blow out rabbit hole, they are done for me.
    Perhaps your favourite jeans need a little Denim Therapy.
    The topmost pair in the picture below are over ten years old, and DT just did a hell of a job repairing the crotch. $9 per square inch, it cost me $27 to get a pair of old favourites back in business.

Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wore these out in the field yesterday and got them pretty muddy....washed them, mud hasn't come off. deal with it, or is there some secret method of washing raw denim to get something like mud off?
    Maybe a strong hose? Like getting mud out of synthetic jerseys.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soak them and take a stiff bristle brush to the spot. You need real mechanical agitation to get stuff unstuck between the fibers. Alternatively if it really is just mud, it'll probably come off on its own after some wear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, I just do not get vanity sizing. I have gained twenty plus pounds since 1988 but wear a smaller jeans size than I did then?

That said, 3sixteen's straight standard fit is beautifully made of lovely slightly-hairy denim and fits nicely once I take two inches off my actual waist size to get my "jeans size". They have enough rise and the legs aren't maxed-out at mid-thigh. Tellason was even more dramatic--I wear them with tucked-in blanket shirts and a good belt, but they are starting to look interesting after two years of regular winter use....

Cheers,

Will
    William M deRosset
    Fort Collins CO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

another job walk day today, and decided to finally wear the Unbranded 222s with the 1% Spandex. Didn't think 1% Spandex would be a big deal, but these are so much easier to move around in. so far, it's pretty awesome.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

another job walk day today, and decided to finally wear the Unbranded 222s with the 1% Spandex. Didn't think 1% Spandex would be a big deal, but these are so much easier to move around in. so far, it's pretty awesome.
    I only wear jeans with spandex now. My CKs are 2% and they're great.
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zetroc View Post
    I only wear jeans with spandex now. My CKs are 2% and they're great.
    I put on my only pair of denim (all other pants are outlier) the other night to go out to dinner and I felt like Kramer wearing his new blue jeans.
    Auk's words to live by:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon White View Post
    I put on my only pair of denim (all other pants are outlier) the other night to go out to dinner and I felt like Kramer wearing his new blue jeans.
    Ha! It occurred to me this weekend when getting dressed up to go out for dinner that I haven't worn a pair of jeans in over 3 years. They're just so uncomfortable in the heat.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Ha! It occurred to me this weekend when getting dressed up to go out for dinner that I haven't worn a pair of jeans in over 3 years. They're just so uncomfortable (FIXED).
    I am not a jean guy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Temps near 100* today and heat index well above that. Denim with Spandex is my new favorite thing when outside.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Temps near 100* today and heat index well above that. Denim with Spandex is my new favorite thing when outside.
    Sounds like a perfect opportunity for jorts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Sounds like a perfect opportunity for jorts.
    I don't know that jorts are OSHA worthy. I'll have to check, though.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recently picked up two pairs of Outlier pants thanks to this thread... one each of slim dungarees and 60/30 chinos. I might not buy another pair of non-stretch jeans/pants ever again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xeladragon View Post
    Recently picked up two pairs of Outlier pants thanks to this thread... one each of slim dungarees and 60/30 chinos. I might not buy another pair of non-stretch jeans/pants ever again.
    Good choice!
    Auk's words to live by:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I first heard of $200+ jeans, I thought "what a bunch of effete nonsense", but given the cost of a decent living, and the care that *can* be put into a product, it *might* make sense. This film has put me in a forgiving mood on this issue: