Thread: Jeans:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Jeans:

Quote Originally Posted by dugafola View Post
    for my 501 STFs, i'll wear for a couple months but rotated with other pairs. I usually size my waist as is but add 2 inches to length. I'll wear them and take a hot shower. Let them drip dry for an hour or so and then put them in between 2 towels while i walk on them. That usually gets them to the point to where i can put them on and wear them until they become dry. the goal here is to not let the waist shrink too much. you also want to avoid doing any power squats etc while they are still wet to help maintain their shape.
    This sounds like way too much work.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got my Tellason and liked the feel of fabric. I got it fairly snug, but it stretches out over time.

I am not obsessive about not washing the jeans since I don't really care about how it looks, but more about how it feels, so I wash it after every 5-10 wears. In laundry machine with my darks, and dry them in medium heat. I know, this ruins the fade, and creates the crease look from the washer and dryer rather than your wear, but the fabric has conformed to me and feels great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wash my 501 STFs normallly and air dry. Put them on damp to avoid the waist shrinking too much or just manhandle them...I do. After a few hard wearings/washings they take a set and no further worries....but always air dry.
    They are without question wonderful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DrZRM View Post
    Picked up a pair of Gustins (Super Heavy 17oz in their straight fit) and like them a lot. They crowdsource, and sell direct to customer, and for the price, they seem to be very well made. They use very nice denims (lots of different choices) and they are all made in the USA.
    I'm wearing a pair of Super Heavies as I type. Probably the best jeans I've ever owned. The fabric is outstanding.

For someone who is really going to beat the tar out of his jeans, something like the Heavy American would be a good choice. It's the same Cone denim Telleson is using, but the price is $81.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got one of my pairs of Shockoe Denim jeans coming back this week from repair. Free repairs for life from the folks who made them, all I have to pay for is a Priority Mail box to get it to them. Not too shabby. And they've got a new 15 oz Japanese denim in the cut that works for me. Tempting...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After reading a decent number of sparkling reviews, I threw my hat in on a pair of Gustins as they have a couple variety a for under $100 at the moment. I dig their business model, but definitely unsure of buying without trying first. First pair of proper raw denim and I'm interested to see how they'll wear. 13.5oz, so not absurdly heavy, but not too light either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, I'm in for a pair of Gustins. Either I'll wear them or they'll be given to a fatter or skinnier friend. It's only money. Someone will be happy.
    Geoff used to race around on a Brodie Sovereign
    Geoff Morgan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wearing a pair of gustin 1968s as i type. one of the good things about gustin stuff is that you can often find people off loading brand new pairs of jeans and shirts. real clothing whores will back stuff they don't really need and sell it when it starts to pile up. i lucked out with my sizing on the first try. wear 34 in levi's STF and the 35 straight in gustin fits me really well. not as roomy in the top block or thigh but not a skinny fit by any means.

i also got a new pair of iron heart 634 21oz jeans. pretty incredible pair of pants. i think i'm set for a couple of years at this point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Real cowboys wear Wranglers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got word that my Gustins shipped yesterday, so hopefully I'll have them for the weekend and will report back on fit and finish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I buy the darkest Carhartt jeans I can find at Sierra Trading Post, sometimes < $20/pair. In a pinch, I grab Levis at Costco.

Obviously my approaches to jeans and bikes are very, very different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gustins showed up last night. Fit and finish is excellent, definitely the "nicest" jeans I've owned, ncie weight and stiff without being uncomfortably so. I 'think' I nailed it on the fit, as they're tight, but still buttonable without occluding blood flow to the lower half of my body. That said, they definitely need some wearing to break in, and just getting to the hottest part of the year isn't likely to help the process. I guess I'll just have to be sweatier than usual this summer... In any event, satisfied with them so far in the few hours of wear they got last night.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time to start looking for jeans. Any updates here?...Unbranded, Tellason, Gustin...
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bonobo. If you can get to ne of their try before you buy stores do it.
    Go down a size in travel jeans, they relax alot. Their regular jeans and cords run true to size.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    Time to start looking for jeans. Any updates here?...Unbranded, Tellason, Gustin...
    My Gustins have been pretty great. Near daily wear for the last few months and one wash a few weeks ago. They look great, fit is pretty true to their guide, though there's definitely a fair bit of stretch. For reference I ordered 31s thinking they'd be overly tight and now they're more on the loose end of things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tellason:
    3 pairs of Jean in rotation in all 3 thickness.
    Heavy is my personal favorite
    The cut is John Mellor Graham named after the man himself Joe Strumme and the only band that matters.
    They are like 2nd skins for me.

(Also have two jackets- but this thread is about the jeans)

Can't say enough good things about their product and the people behind the brand- thank you ATMO for turning me on to them.
    What I am making now:7 sugars.
    Instagram: 7 sugars.

"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination.... Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic."
    — Jim Jarmusch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've beaten my Shockoes up the last two years in various pairs. All still going strong even with a repair trip for one.

The 15 oz is tough to break in, but man, I'd highly recommend it for daily wear if you need a pair you can beat up and not worry about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jeans are like lugged steel bikes of the clothing world.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah...and I'm not really sure where I fall.

Ordered some Unbranded 201s to see what I think. If I like them, I'll stick with it and get another...maybe the 221s. I'd like to see what the difference is between denims. If I get patient, I'll try Gustin. I'd really like to give Tellason a shot, but don't think I can justify that kind of $$. Especially when an Abbey bearing press is still a click away.

I can't remember the last time I bought jeans. But the ones I'm wearing today are from 2009.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah...and I'm not really sure where I fall.

Ordered some Unbranded 201s to see what I think. If I like them, I'll stick with it and get another...maybe the 221s. I'd like to see what the difference is between denims. If I get patient, I'll try Gustin. I'd really like to give Tellason a shot, but don't think I can justify that kind of $$. Especially when an Abbey bearing press is still a click away.

I can't remember the last time I bought jeans. But the ones I'm wearing today are from 2009.
    My last jeans were purchased 3 or 4 years ago. Ralph Lauren RRL. Made in USA w/ Japanese denim. Very nice. I wore them a lot for a couple of years, then I tried out Outlier and can't go back to old boring cotton denim - at least not here in SoFla.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.