Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to fold a tubular

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How to fold a tubular

Apologies for the dredge, but as I am mounting my first set of tubs, I've been reading up on some very helpful threads here, and have a question about the spare. How does one tell whether the glue is still tacky? It sounds silly, I know. I am using Vittoria Mastik and after having cured one day, the glue on the base tape does not seem tacky at all, to the touch of my fingers. There is also the possibility that I did something wrong when applying the glue, but it is evenly applied with no missed spots as far as I can tell.

Please enlighten me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It won't really stay 'tacky' - it will probably feel dry (but a little rubbery) to the touch.

Sounds like you've done it right to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Rich.

I guess the next question is, how can one tell if the glue is still good?

If it's not apparent already, I feel like I'm in quicksand...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good question. I never got around to unravelling the last spare I rolled up to test this or offer advice. It's probably around 2.5yrs old so I would be reluctant to do anything other than mount it and carefully ride home if I ever had to put it into service, but I suspect it'd still stick - even if not quite as well as a spare that had been glued within 12 months.

As for the 'quicksand' bit, I say embrace it - learning is good, and in this case will definitely reap rewards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Press two glued surfaces together hard and they should stick.
    Rich, you prolly need to refresh glue on spares more frequently and air them up now and than just for drill.
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder View Post
    Apologies for the dredge, but as I am mounting my first set of tubs, I've been reading up on some very helpful threads here, and have a question about the spare. How does one tell whether the glue is still tacky? It sounds silly, I know. I am using Vittoria Mastik and after having cured one day, the glue on the base tape does not seem tacky at all, to the touch of my fingers. There is also the possibility that I did something wrong when applying the glue, but it is evenly applied with no missed spots as far as I can tell.

Please enlighten me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That makes sense... Thanks, TT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You've got your answer but as one relative-newbie trying to help another, I'd add:

When I glued my spare and let it dry, I had the same thought as you, "Did I do this correctly." The tackiness was barely perceptible.

Folding it onto itself demonstrated that it was indeed sticky. I had to use the spare last weekend and wondered whether I'd gotten it "right." I'm still here to tell you that it will stick just fine to the rim.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many thanks for the reassurance, Bobonli.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I went to hit some cobbles on Sunday and had the spare rolled up under the saddle, TT's method. I checked before starting off that it was strapped in there tightly, but it eventually fell off after several long-ish cobbled sectors. I noticed it after about 15 km and was lucky to find it lying on the road when I got back to the spot. It had been driven over by a car and a little piece of the latex covering the sidewall went missing, but I think the FMB PR is otherwise ok. (I should probably inflate it to see if it is indeed ok...) Perhaps I will try Saab's banana method so that it is flatter.

Anyway, I'm really chuffed with this tubular thing. I think I'm hooked now.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leather toe strap, press the tubular into the rails with one hand while yanking hard on the strap. Never fails.
    Glad you found it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    So I went to hit some cobbles on Sunday and had the spare rolled up under the saddle, TT's method. I checked before starting off that it was strapped in there tightly, but it eventually fell off after several long-ish cobbled sectors. I noticed it after about 15 km and was lucky to find it lying on the road when I got back to the spot. It had been driven over by a car and a little piece of the latex covering the sidewall went missing, but I think the FMB PR is otherwise ok. (I should probably inflate it to see if it is indeed ok...) Perhaps I will try Saab's banana method so that it is flatter.

Anyway, I'm really chuffed with this tubular thing. I think I'm hooked now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saab's method with a wrap of tape around it works. Might also consider shoving it in an Arundel bag or water bottle with top cut off if you don't need two bottles for liquids.

At least you realized it was gone! I've seen people do an entire ride and not realize their saddle bag was missing until loading the bike back into the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

--- tall man's way is my best way.., never comes off, looks neat & is there as-a-spare..

ronnie with a smile

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, did exactly as TT described, as I am no stranger to putting stuff under my saddle with a leather toe strap (having dropped a few other things previously and learned the lesson). TT's method certainly looks the neatest, but I'll err on the side of being safe especially when hitting the cobbles.

I tend to take 2 bottles, so I think it's bananas for me.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feeling nostalgic? If you believe in tubluars, please read this thread....slowly ;)

Ronnie, you are missed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Ronnie, you are missed
    Really do miss this guy's writing.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Missed indeed. Never has someone been so insightful yet so damn confusing. Made me stop to read; re-read and think.
    We need more cats like him.
    And this thread reminds me to carry a tubular with me. Gotten too damn complacent.
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123