Thread: Help losing 20 lbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Help losing 20 lbs

6'2" 184.7 down to a 33 pant.
    Reading some of the posts I should be reexamining my goal weight of 170... Are you all looking at the Friel 2:1 #'s:inches and using that as a goal? Matching output to weight like a performance goal?

@MarkC as far as I'm concerned post away...
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a few months ago i cut back to no more than 2 drinks in the eve. lost about 5ish lbs. a couple weeks ago i cut out drinking altogether... i've lost another 5 like that and it's not water weight. also, i can train harder in the AM as my recovery is better.

can't say i miss the booze -

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

alcohol definitely plays a big role with weight….not only the sugar and calories, but it lowers your fortitude, a lot easier to have the ice cream or cookies when you've had a beer or two with dinner. My wife and I gave up the alcohol 3 years ago (nothing to do with weight loss either) and we don't miss it a bit. But you sure start to realize how much of our social interactions revolve around alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Spinelli View Post
    a few months ago i cut back to no more than 2 drinks in the eve. lost about 5ish lbs. a couple weeks ago i cut out drinking altogether... i've lost another 5 like that and it's not water weight. also, i can train harder in the AM as my recovery is better.

can't say i miss the booze -

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

didn't know about the 2:1 thing, but it makes sense…puts me at 68.5:137, right on the money as to where I want to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoogs View Post
    6'2" 184.7 down to a 33 pant.
    Reading some of the posts I should be reexamining my goal weight of 170... Are you all looking at the Friel 2:1 #'s:inches and using that as a goal? Matching output to weight like a performance goal?

@MarkC as far as I'm concerned post away...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mental clarity rules -

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Officer View Post
    alcohol definitely plays a big role with weight….not only the sugar and calories, but it lowers your fortitude, a lot easier to have the ice cream or cookies when you've had a beer or two with dinner. My wife and I gave up the alcohol 3 years ago (nothing to do with weight loss either) and we don't miss it a bit. But you sure start to realize how much of our social interactions revolve around alcohol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mental clarity rules -
    Yep...wait until you get to be my age. I was gently scoffed at earlier in this thread when I recommneded "No booze....ever" as part of losing 20 pounds. But you need to lay off to drop that kind of weight, for sure. Once it's off and you're training and eating right...then have at it...a little. I drink red wine almost every day...usually a glass w/ dinner. I have pretty much shitecanned the Laphroig, though. Puts on the pounds and lowers the, um, relentlessness. And if you think cyclists can be crazed about diet and weight control...talk to serious rockclimbers and mountaineers. I learned how to constructively starve myself during the years that I climbed a lot. It paid off for cycling.

While stating that it feels kinda' girlyto do so...I'll join the pack and post my specs; 6' 3", 174lbs, 32" waist as of 6am this morning. I have no frickin' idea of my BMI, etc... and I don't want to know. I'm 55 years old and can't be bothered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly the same effect on me. I want to lose about 10 pounds in five weeks, so I stopped drinking completely just over two weeks ago. Sure enough, I've lost 5.2 lbs, just like that. In addition to being able to recover better (and therefore train hard/more often) one's fortitude against poor quality food is much better, as Tom said. So on top of no booze, I'm eating only home cooked meals, with almost no junk or desserts.

Other effect of no booze - I can concentrate better at work. Who knew? :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shoogs View Post
    Are you all looking at the Friel 2:1 #'s:inches and using that as a goal? Matching output to weight like a performance goal?
    What now? First I've heard of this and a search of Friel's blog came up empty. Is it as simple as you should weigh twice your height in inches? Shoooooe, that puts me at 144 pounds. Work to do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    What now? First I've heard of this and a search of Friel's blog came up empty. Is it as simple as you should weigh twice your height in inches? Shoooooe, that puts me at 144 pounds. Work to do!
    An itty bitty snippet from one of his books...I remember it specifically because doing the math it puts me at 148.

Todd Wells just won the Leadville Trail 100 he's 6'2" (as am I) and specifically mentioned he lost 8# from last year and raced better at his current weight of 165. A much more achievable and more realistic goal for me anyway.

I think the 2:1 works better for the average heights, when you start getting taller you'd lose too much power. That's what I'm telling myself anyway.
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when you guys who have stopped drinking talk about it, how much did you consume anyway? i never, ever have more than a drink a night (parties might be an exception) and have a hard time believing one IPA or a glass of malbec contributes to a weight issue. i think the benefits of the quiet time, or the end-of-the-day contemplation that comes with a drink has benefits that might equal or over ride jumping on a wagon atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    when you guys who have stopped drinking talk about it, how much did you consume anyway?
    Before stopping two weeks ago, I was averaging -

Friday's: two glasses of red wine (Amarone, so quite powerful for wine - over 16%) and 3 to 4 shots of Lemoncello
    Saturday's: the same

Rest of the week, I avoid drinking, unless it's a glass of wine for a business lunch.

I don't think it's the cutting of the booze by itself though. As Justin and Tom mentioned above, it facilitates other factors like better recovery and mental resistance to eating poor quality food or snacks. All things combined are what allows a reasonable 2.5 lb drop per week for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fixednwinter View Post
    Before stopping two weeks ago, I was averaging -

Friday's: two glasses of red wine (Amarone, so quite powerful for wine - over 16%) and 3 to 4 shots of Lemoncello
    Saturday's: the same

Rest of the week, I avoid drinking, unless it's a glass of wine for a business lunch.

I don't think it's the cutting of the booze by itself though. As Justin and Tom mentioned above, it facilitates other factors like better recovery and mental resistance to eating poor quality food or snacks. All things combined are what allows a reasonable 2.5 lb drop per week for me.
    that's a lot of sauce atmo.
    i think if you have a target (or a goal), the poor quality food and snacking won't be tethered to the drink.
    but if you're weak, i dunno.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but if you're weak, i dunno.
    I'm weak!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when you guys who have stopped drinking talk about it, how much did you consume anyway? i never, ever have more than a drink a night (parties might be an exception) and have a hard time believing one IPA or a glass of malbec contributes to a weight issue. i think the benefits of the quiet time, or the end-of-the-day contemplation that comes with a drink has benefits that might equal or over ride jumping on a wagon atmo.
    I had gotten into a groove of making a toddy in the evenings; Large cup of tea with honey, and a generous dollop of scotch. Tasty and relaxing, but I got slovenly and was doing one pretty much every night. For me, I found that level of brown whiskey consumption was starting to make me feel a little sluggish sometimes, and it definitely put some weight on me. It became easier to just set it all aside. I do loves me red wine and will usually have a glass every day. I'm not eating-disorder nutty about my weight, but for sure the older you get...the easier you pack it on and the harder it is to get off, at least for a big ol' mesomorph like meself. YMMV.

Reading above posts, I figure if T. Wells is an inch shorter then me, weighs about 8lbs less then I do, is..what...half my age(?) and is a real racer...I ain't doing so bad as a middle-aged bike rider.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bottom line for me is being off the piss cuts about 500kcal per day, prohibits me from making stupid diet decisions and lets me recover better for training and have more productive/efficient days at work.

everyone is different. quitting drinking might have the opposite effect on some!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bottom line for me is being off the piss cuts about 500kcal per day, prohibits me from making stupid diet decisions and lets me recover better for training and have more productive/efficient days at work.

everyone is different. quitting drinking might have the opposite effect on some!
    anyone on this thread fretting about weight and who is not drinking at least 4 liters of water a day needs to atmo.
    water - that's the magic bullet atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when you guys who have stopped drinking talk about it, how much did you consume anyway?
    Very little. Probably a couple beers a week. Going to zero was trivial but part of a mental commitment to do everything diet related "better".

Zero also means no chance of one leading to two leading to three....

Big key for me was to cut out carbs and snacks with no nutritional value. First few weeks are tough but once you get into the habit it's easy to maintain.

Here is the starting numbers:

Height: 5' 7"
    Weight: 138 pounds
    BF % TBD
    Waist 31

My weight moves from 136 - 138 and once in a while if dehydrated from back to back long days 134-135. It has been that for two plus years following a conscious choice to get down from 148-150. I'd like to get down to 132 for race season next year but expect that is a stretch. 134 - 135 is more likely. It's not so much the mass, it's the % BF I am interested in. If more lean muscle came on I'd take that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

152.2 / 9.5

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150.6 / 8.8

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"i think the ----.." best for ronnie's loss..
    my nature is/has always been to be involved and never wind down --"pick'n fly shit outa pepper.." the above "atmo practice" has helped tame my shrew desire to snack and never lay claim to the weight ...
    ima better man/karma for tammy, too..
    smiles,

ronnie
    Last edited by ron l edmiston; 08-21-2011 at 03:14 PM.