Page 8 of 68 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Help losing 20 lbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Help losing 20 lbs

Me?…actually no cereal, oj, milk or alcohol….. fresh fruit, eggs and toast for breakfast, rice cakes and peanut butter with a side of cottage cheese for lunch, box of raisins for snack, usually a salad sometimes with chicken or fish for dinner……my downfall is Ben and Jerry's and cookies and that's what I stopped eating for now
    Quote Originally Posted by boots2000 View Post
    Actually I bet you eat a lot of stuff off the bike that makes it harder to lose weight.
    Do you eat a lot of bread, cereal, etc.?
    Fruit? Fruit juices?
    I still say most people under-eat when on bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe some of you race in situations such that getting below 10% body fat is important. if so, then i commend you.
    but i opt for food as a source of pleasure, but try not to be a glutton or let weight inhibit me.

it is not a coincidence that the human body has such a hard time staying below 10%.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boots2000 View Post
    Fruit? Fruit juices?
    I don't buy it... fruit juice, maybe. But just plain old fruit consists of a lot of fiber (and nutrients).

To bring this whole topic full circle, is this some 4-hour body mumbo jumbo?

Here's what a few minutes on google pointed to nih.gov got me, last time someone told me to avoid fruit:

A role for fruit content in energy-restricted diet... [Nutrition. 2006] - PubMed result

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did not say it was bad for you- only said that it can be a bad food choice if you are trying to reduce bodyfat-
    Also, some people have issues digesting fructose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

155 / 9.5 kids over for dinner, pizza and the wife made oatmeal raisin cookies!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

153.6 / 8.8

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

154.4 / 9.7

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think what is key to staying lean, especially as we get older, is to understand more ab0ut your personal metabolism, as there is wide variation, even among so-called normal humans. Maybe you have really good blood sugar control, and for you a calorie is a calorie. But if that were the case you probably wouldn't have needed to ask for help. Maybe you undersecrete insulin (me), or have lost some insulin responsiveness, in that case you will do better on a low carb/high protein regimen. What foods do you find most satisfying, even in limited amounts? Eat more of those. Do carbs make you hungrier? Eat less of those. Its also about comfort. Finding what foods will keep you most comfortable on moderate intake. And its also about timing, eating what your body needs for the type of exercise you are doing, and the goals of that exercise session. Unless we are competitive athletes, we need to eat way less on the bike than many of us think. Exercise can also be important if you have issues with glucose tolerance, since exercise increases the movement of glucose transport proteins to the cell surface, thereby increasing your ability to process carbs regardless of your ability to secrete or respond to insulin. That is one reason I swim daily at lunch, its not for the calorie burn, its for the metabolism boost I get from even a brief 30 minutes in the pool.

I also agree with the comments about eating fresh home cooked meals with unprocessed ingredients. Cut out the crap you don't need: rich/sugary deserts, snacks, etc. Limit quantities of the bad stuff you crave, but don't eliminate them: alcohol, chocolate (for me a single square of Lindt 85% dark chocolate works wonders and doens't raise my blood sugar).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How any one can open a chocolate bar and eat just one square is beyond me! Can you really do that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tom, it doesn't seem fair you should have to be the only one reporting, so I'll man up and post how chubby I am on the interwebs.

As far as being able to eat one square of chocolate, that seems an impossible feat. I absolutely have to make the right decisions when shopping, because once something is on the house, it runs the risk of being eaten. Luckily, my wife takes the same view.

6'0"
    172.4 lbs
    No idea my fat percentage

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All right! Another one joins the battle. There are so many views to this thread that I think most of you are waiting for me to give up or fail so you can say…."See if Officer can't do it neither can I"….My top excuses in the past for not getting serious about getting the fistful of flab off my gut…..let's see……."I'm already in the top percentile for men my age in weight and body fat, no worries"…"I'll wait until the summer and it'll just melt away."…"I'm winning races at 155 lbs, no need to get carried away here."…."I've got a tough job and family responsibilities, I have to keep things in balance."….."If I lose more my wife won't have the love handles to hold on too."
    Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    Tom, it doesn't seem fair you should have to be the only one reporting, so I'll man up and post how chubby I am on the interwebs.

As far as being able to eat one square of chocolate, that seems an impossible feat. I absolutely have to make the right decisions when shopping, because once something is on the house, it runs the risk of being eaten. Luckily, my wife takes the same view.

6'0"
    172.4 lbs
    No idea my fat percentage

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, I can and do. I keep it in the fridge, and take one square a day. But maybe cuz in my case I know that anymore will make my blood sugar go up too high since I am a mild type I diabetic. Its better than not eating any. There is nothing I won't allow myself to eat, but I do control the amounts a lot! Same goes for ben and jerrys double pistachio ice cream. I use an espresso cup and spoon..........

For me, normalizing my blood sugars went hand in hand with normalizing my weight. Before I figured this out, even with lots of cycling and controlling my calories I was overweight. But once I started to feed my body the food it could handle, my weight normalized along with my blood sugars.

I know that probably doesn't apply to most of you out there, but I bet it applies to some of you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hats off to you! But then you have some pretty serious motivating factors there. I'm like Christian, if it's in the house I'm gonna find it and eat it! It drives my wife nuts, because she has that ability to have just one cookie or one tiny scoop of ice cream. I'm good for a couple of days, but when I want that stuff and I know it's in the house I'll hunt high and low 'till I find it. At least for now she understands my shortcomings and goes along with it, Thank God!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6' 1" - 163.

I'd like to get under 160 and hold it over/through the winter. Tough up here to avoid the 5-10 lb winter gain.

thanks for the extra motivation.
    Start slow, then taper off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get you. For me, if I don't keep it in the house and allow myself tiny servings in controlled settings (like after a ride when my glucose transporters are up), when presented with it in a social situation or at work I'll break down and eat a lot more than is good for me. But we don't keep a lot of that stuff in the house either. My husband mostly eats like me even though he doesn't have to, and find it helps keeps his weight down too, although he is one of those naturally skinny people.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

152 / 9.5

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still 6'0"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Officer View Post
    How any one can open a chocolate bar and eat just one square is beyond me! Can you really do that?

Yes.

I admire this thread. We just bought a wifithings scale and once hooked up would like to play too. If that is OK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Tom, I notice you are posting your daily weights. I personally find that while its best to record a daily first morning weight, that its also best to average those numbers, and then plot a graph of average weekly weights. I don't know about you, but my weight is too sensitive to fluctuations in fluid levels to have daily weights mean very much to me. When in serious weight loss mode, I do also note the first time I reach a weight lower than I have in a long time, as this also has meaning even if it goes up a little the next day.

One thing that really surprised me when I started to hang out with male cyclists is that for the first time I met men that watch their weight like women do. I'll never forget my first post ride lunch in a restaurant after a 60 mile hilly club ride, and seeing all those skinny men order salad!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

151 / 9.3……..I weigh myself daily in the morning and when I did my huge weight loss about 6 years ago I kept a log on my dresser…it was a great motivating tool for me and made me focus on what I ate each day, as I knew I'd have to look at the weight log every morning and I'd be upset with myself if it went up. But as much as I tried, even with all the racing I never could get below 150 lbs as a master (I used to race at 135 lbs as a kid). So this thread has become my new motivating tool! Once I get to 149 and keep going down…well, I'll be pretty excited!……..Also FYI I've been hanging around male cyclists for most of my adult life and I can tell you we are by far the most vain people you'll ever meet…..it's not only our weight, but we're always checking out our legs in the mirror to see how cut we're getting, looking to see if any new veins are popping out…LOL!