Page 7 of 68 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Help losing 20 lbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Help losing 20 lbs

153.8 / 10.2 so is everyone else taking off the weight in silence?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185.4. Let's see what the weekend brings...
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shit. i am getting fat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    3) relentlessness
    4) atmo
    for 3, my new espresso machine and grinder arrived. for 4, mebbe next year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Officer View Post
    153.8 / 10.2 so is everyone else taking off the weight in silence?
    Nice week btw
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks! I've never been able to get under 150 using my weight log on the dresser technique, but this seems to have magnified the effect. Hopefully I can keep going, I think my biggest fear is that if I fail Richie will start calling me fatmo or slowmo and asking if I'm wearing the 36 x 30's yet. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoogs View Post
    Nice week btw

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe this should be in another thread but this was posted on slowtwitch a few weeks ago. It's pretty much the old school diet. The takeaway is how much most of us overeat, especially post ride.
    " volunteered to host a few pros who came to Boulder for some altitude training prior to the Tour of Utah
    and the USA Pro Challenge. Aside from them being super guys, it was educational to see how guys who
    will try to hang with Levi, Cadel and the Schlecks train.

They were amazingly normal (aside from FTP and VO2 I assume) and applied the basics anybody who reads
    this forum regularly would know...but with the discipline of professionals. Some of my takeways.

- Diet Discipline: Museli, fruit and Soy milk for breakfast / salads for lunch and a recovery shake IMMEDIATELY
    after a workout...like with the sweat still dripping. Dinner was another salad with some protein (small steak, fish, chicken).
    They got a loaf of nice bread from a bakery...but kept it in the fridge ate it like mice. We went out a few times for dinner,
    and they would order salad...ignore the bread or chips, and drink water. I felt like a slob.

Alcohol: Two of the guys never touched a drop. Two others would have 1-2 beers every other day maybe.
    They told me of they drank a beer, skip any breads or starches. Maybe an old rouleur's tale... but
    they were all ~ 140 lbs.

- Rest & Recovery: compression gear went on right after the shower and stayed on all night. A nap almost every day.
    They were very averse to walking - they would borrow a knock-around bike to go visit a friend staying 1/2 block away.
    They were mostly down to sleep between 10-11 and slept past 9.

- Mellow Riding: They were in an adaptation program without much intensity.. I'm sure there are lots of weeks more intense.
    They would alternate days long rides 3-5 hours into the hills (5-7k feet climbing at ~250 watts for the climbs - probably Z2/Z3) with shorter
    days with a few intervals . One let me fool around with his file, for a 2 hour ride his was 145W AP, including 4 x 5min @ 400W.
    ( I don't know if I've ever come back from a road ride with an AP that low...I'm too conscious of everyone flying by me. )

- Individual Programs: Each of them ( 2 in my house and another 3 around) had their own workouts and mostly trained on their
    own. They would compare schedules and match up if the rides were similar...but mostly solo.

- Equipment: The bikes were top-of-the-line frames with DA drivetrains - but the wheels, bars, stems were all 'team' level
    105 type gear. Raceday sees nicer wheels. They all used SRM and thought my Powertap was sort of cute... maybe the
    fact that I bothered to measure mine was the funny part. ( I never rode with them )

- Life: they all seemed to have girlfriends and most of the relationships seemed strained. They are on the road 7-8 months
    a year.

No huge surprises (except how light they ate) - apparently there is some talent involved in this."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone do depletion rides (riding on water/electrolytes for 2-3 hours to train fat burning and glycogen storage), or is this an old wives' tale?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this was probably behind what they used to tell me to do in Europe…never eat or drink for the first 2 hrs of the ride. I was out for 5 1/2 today and had two homemade energy bars and water, got a gatorade on the last stop for the last hour. I think there is definitely something to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Watoni View Post
    Anyone do depletion rides (riding on water/electrolytes for 2-3 hours to train fat burning and glycogen storage), or is this an old wives' tale?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Officer View Post
    I think this was probably behind what they used to tell me to do in Europe…never eat or drink for the first 2 hrs of the ride. I was out for 5 1/2 today and had two homemade energy bars and water, got a gatorade on the last stop for the last hour. I think there is definitely something to it.
    I meant to ride in the morning, went out in the afternoon having had just coffee, and then rode 2.5 hrs to the coast (~40 miles and 4,000 feet of climbing) at a reduced tempo on water and two Enervit G tablets (about 15 calories each). I was more beat than after a century and 9,000 feet of climbing, so it was not good for performance but hopefully it is for weight management. I am having a glass of wine, though ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

153.4 / 10.5

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh, i didn't realize we were logging here. looking for 155-160 unless i can bulk the quads a little, then a bit more will be tolerated.

168.0/dunlap

(was 175 ish all my adult life until 3 years ago (used to think 165 was fighting weight) when i dropped to 150 in 2 months on fruit (at 40+yrs). stayed at 155-160 until quitting nicotine-ballooned to present shape)

going back!
    Last edited by WadePatton; 08-13-2011 at 11:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

155 to 160…nothing like leaving a little leeway eh?…you can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by WadePatton View Post
    oh, i didn't realize we were logging here. looking for 155-160 unless i can bulk the quads a little, then a bit more will be tolerated.

168.0/dunlap

(was 175 ish all my adult life until 3 years ago (used to think 165 was fighting weight) when i dropped to 150 in 2 months on fruit (at 40+yrs). stayed at 155-160 until quitting nicotine-ballooned to present shape)

going back!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think doing the opposite is better for weight loss.
    Stay well fed and hydrated the entire ride. This works because:
    1.) you can hold higher power throughout the ride
    2.) you are already working on recovery for the next ride
    3.) you are not breaking down as much muscle tissue
    4.) when you finish a ride well fueled you tend to be less cracked so you tend to make better recovery food choices. When you are really cracked anything tastes good and you can eat the kitchen sink.
    5.) this allows you to consume relatively simple carbs while you are using them (on the bike). That way you can stick to lower glycemic carbs off the bike.
    I also try to eat higher quality products while on the bike. I spend a lot of energy making sure I eat well off the bike- It works better to do the same on the bike.
    For this reason I only use:
    1.) Go Macro energy bars. Organic, gluten free, few ingredients (and taste good).
    2.) Clif Shot Gels (the ones that are not fruit flavored)- mostly brown rice syrup.
    3.) 1st endurance energy drink or water. 1st endurance does not contain fructose.
    That is my formula- works well for me.
    Timing is important too- I try to eat at least one bar per hour when training. More than that when racing or going hard. I weigh less than 150- if you weigh more you probably need to eat more than that. drink at least 1 bottle per hour- more if hot.
    When going hard I eat 1 bar after 1st hour- then a gel on the 30 minute and a bar on the hour. So a 4 hour ride would have 3 bars, 3 gels, and likely 4 bottles. I also tend to bring drink mix with me for my bottle refills.
    This may sound like a lot of eating and it is. My theory is that the actual weight loss is done in the kitchen off the bike- not on the bike.
    If you are too reliant on miles and denying food to lose wieght- you start to gain as soon as the milage decreases.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

love the description of pros eating a loaf of bread like mice. certainly eye opening with regard to how much we normal people eat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you have a very different metabolism than I do…..I'd be fatmo for sure if I ate like that on a ride, I'm not even sure I could stomach that much stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by boots2000 View Post
    I think doing the opposite is better for weight loss.
    Stay well fed and hydrated the entire ride. This works because:
    1.) you can hold higher power throughout the ride
    2.) you are already working on recovery for the next ride
    3.) you are not breaking down as much muscle tissue
    4.) when you finish a ride well fueled you tend to be less cracked so you tend to make better recovery food choices. When you are really cracked anything tastes good and you can eat the kitchen sink.
    5.) this allows you to consume relatively simple carbs while you are using them (on the bike). That way you can stick to lower glycemic carbs off the bike.
    I also try to eat higher quality products while on the bike. I spend a lot of energy making sure I eat well off the bike- It works better to do the same on the bike.
    For this reason I only use:
    1.) Go Macro energy bars. Organic, gluten free, few ingredients (and taste good).
    2.) Clif Shot Gels (the ones that are not fruit flavored)- mostly brown rice syrup.
    3.) 1st endurance energy drink or water. 1st endurance does not contain fructose.
    That is my formula- works well for me.
    Timing is important too- I try to eat at least one bar per hour when training. More than that when racing or going hard. I weigh less than 150- if you weigh more you probably need to eat more than that. drink at least 1 bottle per hour- more if hot.
    When going hard I eat 1 bar after 1st hour- then a gel on the 30 minute and a bar on the hour. So a 4 hour ride would have 3 bars, 3 gels, and likely 4 bottles. I also tend to bring drink mix with me for my bottle refills.
    This may sound like a lot of eating and it is. My theory is that the actual weight loss is done in the kitchen off the bike- not on the bike.
    If you are too reliant on miles and denying food to lose wieght- you start to gain as soon as the milage decreases.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hole E. crap, dehydrated myself to 166.5 today--not riding, just working on a tiller (no not the one on my yacht). i better liquid carbo load up the deficit--it'stheweekendyo!

and that's how i make a dietary plan work. it has to allow for regular breaks--for me that's the weekend and holidays. _most_ of the time is what counts--always has.

cheers!

(oh snit, a fresh jug of that good ole mt. dew jest arrived.)
    Last edited by WadePatton; 08-13-2011 at 10:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WadePatton View Post
    when i dropped to 150 in 2 months on fruit (at 40+yrs)
    What do you mean "on fruit"? Is that some kind of diet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

152.8 / 10

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually I bet you eat a lot of stuff off the bike that makes it harder to lose weight.
    Do you eat a lot of bread, cereal, etc.?
    Fruit? Fruit juices?
    I still say most people under-eat when on bike.