Results 1,301 to 1,320 of 1342

Thread: Help losing 20 lbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Help losing 20 lbs

Doing something similar now (gaining weight with the hope of putting on more muscle). Always have had trouble adding mass to my legs. But I figure that even if mostly gain fat, it's OK as long as I get stronger, which I am.

Something that has worked well for me so far has been keeping the reps relatively high (10-12). Previously I was told that lower reps (6ish) was best for developing more muscle and power, but didn't hold true for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mgurtzweiler View Post
    153.5 / 14% on my scale. Probably a little dehydrated.
    152.9 / 13.8 this morning. Didn't cheat and hop on after a long ride this time.

>:)

It's getting colder here in Denver (just moved from the VA in July) so I started Zwifting / Sufferfest (at low FTP settings). Zwift is really cool so far, 2hours on the trainer was never so easy. Wonder how long that feeling with last. Probably a week or two.

Yah yah ride outside, thing is.. it's so much quicker to hop on the trainer and hop off without having to layer up. I probably just need more discipline getting my clothes ready the night before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im going to take some measurements tonight for BF%.

I've officially started weight training again. its getting dark early and has rained nearly every day for 3 weeks now so I need to go the non-fun method of training since its miserable to ride every day in the rain.

I'm up ~10lbs since my wifes become pregnant, most of which has been in the last 2 months and im feeling like a bag of crap.

~190lbs @ 6'0". last time I did a caliper measurement I was 172lbs @~12%
    Matt Moore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

152.9 / 13.8 this morning. Didn't cheat and hop on after a long ride this time.

>:)

It's getting colder here in Denver (just moved from the VA in July) so I started Zwifting / Sufferfest (at low FTP settings). Zwift is really cool so far, 2hours on the trainer was never so easy. Wonder how long that feeling with last. Probably a week or two.

Yah yah ride outside, thing is.. it's so much quicker to hop on the trainer and hop off without having to layer up. I probably just need more discipline getting my clothes ready the night before.
    150 on the nose this morning. DXA scan in a couple weeks. Starting to do some Sweet Spot type intervals on the trainer. Eating is getting harder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 on the nose this morning. DXA scan in a couple weeks. Starting to do some Sweet Spot type intervals on the trainer. Eating is getting harder.
    150 still.

Put some new battery's in the scale so the body fat measurement would kick in again.

Last time the body fat was working:

October 28th: 153 / 14.2%
    November 12th: 149.8 / 12.5%

My next DXA scan is in 2 weeks. I'm hoping for around 15-16% on that scan.

Getting really hard now to keep my hunger under control, I haven't been in the 140s for 17 years!

"Power" so far as not effected on the bike up or down. HR is down a little for a given effort however.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 still.

Put some new battery's in the scale so the body fat measurement would kick in again.

Congrats on the success so far. Any tips on to what you have found that is working for you? I am struggling a bit. I will have a good day, exercise in the morning, eat well for breakfast and lunch, this is all seems pretty easy when I am busy at work. But in the evenings, the hunger seems to really kick in and I end up in snarfing down something in 5 minutes of weakness that seems to undo all the work I had put in that day. So frustrating.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
    Congrats on the success so far. Any tips on to what you have found that is working for you? I am struggling a bit. I will have a good day, exercise in the morning, eat well for breakfast and lunch, this is all seems pretty easy when I am busy at work. But in the evenings, the hunger seems to really kick in and I end up in snarfing down something in 5 minutes of weakness that seems to undo all the work I had put in that day. So frustrating.......
    I have that hunger almost every night, just don't give in. I'll down a big glass of fizzy water (we have a soda stream) or (gasp) have a small glass (3-4oz) of red wine :) It's wine more often than not.

Tracking EVERYTHING I eat with MyFitnesspal has also been a big help. It helps me not feel guilty about grabbing an apple or something after dinner if i'm still under my goals for the day.

Here is my log from yesterday. I was too low on the food overall for the day, we ran out of my go-to apple or pears as a quick 100cal.

Slept like crap.

20151111_mfp.jpg

I eat a lot of the same things day to day. 2-3 late's in the morning (4oz of milk each, not the 16oz starbucks crap) and my "egg thing" which is a huge pile of whatever veggies i have on hand and a couple eggs to hold it together. Essentially a Frittata with extra veggies.

I stopped going out to eat for lunch at work. I walk along with my colleagues as they go get their food but I eat my packed lunch.

My wife is also a huge help. She's been cooking a lot of food thats found in the Feed Zone cookbook, so that makes it easy to track dinners.

But really it comes down to discipline. I'm lucky and know I'm VERY goal driven, so once i commit to an obtainable goal I'll usually get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 still.

Getting really hard now to keep my hunger under control, I haven't been in the 140s for 17 years!

"Power" so far as not effected on the bike up or down. HR is down a little for a given effort however.
    146.5 / 11.3% on my scale yesterday. DXA tomorrow. Staying away from the stuffing today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

146.5 / 11.3% on my scale yesterday. DXA tomorrow. Staying away from the stuffing today.
    dxa_3.jpg

149lb / 16.2% according to DXA last Friday.

144.5 / 10.8 according to my scale this morning. I'm probably a little dehydrated. My workout was crap this morning.

My abdominal fat has went from 34% to 10% since early September. Lost a pound of muscle (and 8lb of fat). Only down 1.5lb of muscle since my initial scan. Fat seems to be coming off the legs / thighs last.

None of my clothing fits any longer, and I've still got 10-12lb to lose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dxa_3.jpg

149lb / 16.2% according to DXA last Friday.

144.5 / 10.8 according to my scale this morning. I'm probably a little dehydrated. My workout was crap this morning.

My abdominal fat has went from 34% to 10% since early September. Lost a pound of muscle (and 8lb of fat). Only down 1.5lb of muscle since my initial scan. Fat seems to be coming off the legs / thighs last.

None of my clothing fits any longer, and I've still got 10-12lb to lose.
    144.0 / 10.2 on my scale this morning. Not dehydrated this time (I really need to stop cheating by hoping on the scale after a long workout).

Seems to be slowing down a lot now, but I have plenty of time till race season in April. Nearly all of my extra fat is now on my legs and thighs.

Been fairly successful at avoiding the holiday treats. 1 cookie and 2 chocolates thus far. only 3 weeks till we're past it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re-post from Oxygen Deprived... Wifey and one of my sons were diagnosed with gluten issues over the Summer--and my family was already avoiding processed food; eating local, organic food etc.--so it was a short leap into the Primal/paleo world. I ended-up reading a couple of Mark Sisson's books over past few months. I know that there's an endurance focused book coming out in January but I was wondering if any you had any experiences applying the Primal fitness principles to cycling? How'd it work out? What are you doing--lsd and hill sprints? How's the diet going? 182 here btw.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had doing the Sisson/primal diet thing about 2 years when i restarted serious distance cycling 4 years ago. I bonked horribly on it on just about any ride. Never could get anywhere with it. I switched to the Friel/Cordain approach and did a lot better but still need more traditional fueling for long distance efforts. Sure I lost weight on the primal thing but for me it was not a diet to support cycling.

Just my 2cents...

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeJay View Post
    ... I was wondering if any you had any experiences applying the Primal fitness principles to cycling? How'd it work out? What are you doing--lsd and hill sprints? How's the diet going? 182 here btw.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

144.0 / 10.2 on my scale this morning. Not dehydrated this time (I really need to stop cheating by hoping on the scale after a long workout).

Seems to be slowing down a lot now, but I have plenty of time till race season in April. Nearly all of my extra fat is now on my legs and thighs.

Been fairly successful at avoiding the holiday treats. 1 cookie and 2 chocolates thus far. only 3 weeks till we're past it!
    Well last week I was 143.5 on my scale. Today I was 149. Still running a calorie deficit according to MyFitnesspal so I'm guessing it's water weight.

Wearing 29x34 jeans now though.

One diet change I made was to up my daily carb intake by having a bowl of All Bran or Steel cut oats for breakfast along with my usual eggs and veggies. I was starting to feel "flat" on my rides now that the intensity is rising above low Z2. I'm thinking that may be where the water weight has come from. But it's probably worth it, bumped my PerfPro "ftp" up 35 watt's yesterday to get the right feeling from my intervals yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well last week I was 143.5 on my scale. Today I was 149. Still running a calorie deficit according to MyFitnesspal so I'm guessing it's water weight.

Wearing 29x34 jeans now though.

One diet change I made was to up my daily carb intake by having a bowl of All Bran or Steel cut oats for breakfast along with my usual eggs and veggies. I was starting to feel "flat" on my rides now that the intensity is rising above low Z2. I'm thinking that may be where the water weight has come from. But it's probably worth it, bumped my PerfPro "ftp" up 35 watt's yesterday to get the right feeling from my intervals yesterday.
    Stuck in the low 140s now (144 this morning). Scale says 10.3% bodyfat but I know it reads low. Got used to losing 1-2lb a week for months so this is kinda frustrating when I know I have about 10lb of fat to loose to really be lean. At least I made it through the holidays without any reversion of my eating / snacking habits.

Coach has be hitting the weights twice a week, that really does a number on my appetite. I can ride for hours and have zero impact on my cravings but an hour at the gym and I want to eat everything in sight.

I am going to consult with a nutritionalist soon, seems to be some good ones for endurance athletes here in Denver.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone ever use one of those Withing connected scales? I read an article written by Penn Gillette. He had lost a tremendous amount of weight. He raved about how the connectivity of the scale helped he & a small group of friends in their endeavor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daltex View Post
    Anyone ever use one of those Withing connected scales? I read an article written by Penn Gillette. He had lost a tremendous amount of weight. He raved about how the connectivity of the scale helped he & a small group of friends in their endeavor.
    I think e-RICHIE uses one. I could see how it would help. Since I started wearing the Withings watch I've added almost an hour and a half extra sleep every night and started getting much better about moving around during the day. The awareness and easy tracking of data seems to help me stay consistent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I think e-RICHIE uses one. I could see how it would help. Since I started wearing the Withings watch I've added almost an hour and a half extra sleep every night and started getting much better about moving around during the day. The awareness and easy tracking of data seems to help me stay consistent.
    I'm def. getting the newer cheaper withings tracker. If I like it - I'll pair it with the scale.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon White View Post
    I'm def. getting the newer cheaper withings tracker. If I like it - I'll pair it with the scale.
    The Go? It looks great. Throw it in your pocket or wear it on your wrist for when you don't have pockets. I think you'll like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Withings scale and like it. I find it motivating to watch my numbers trend over time on my phone apps. I connect it with My Fitness Pal app to monitor weight, exercise and caloric intake. I do better when I have numbers and stats to telling me where my weight will be in 5 weeks if I continue at my current pace.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Late to the party.... Wife and I have had this scale, couple iterations, for many years. She uses the app plus an activity tracker. I just watch the mass and BF trend. Compared to Bod Pod the BF reads a couple percent low. But it's all about the trends and it works great for that.

Track your calories and these interactive tools can be a big help in losing or maintaining a specific weight.