Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 1342

Thread: Help losing 20 lbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Help losing 20 lbs

If I want to improve my climbing I need a loose a bit of weight and a few weeks ago I started working on that, basically with better portion control and eating less. It's working and I've been slowly but surely dropping some of those extra pounds. One thing I haven't been doing is counting calories.

On days when I don't ride I often go to bed slightly hungry, and since the dieting has been showing results, it's easy enough to ignore that.

Here's my question: What about the days when I do ride? Am I being short-sighted and potentially having a negative impact on my recovery from that day's ride if I got to bed a bit hungry? Or is it still a good idea to back off on calories, even on a ride day, especially if I'm not yet at my goal?

(Additional info: I don't have any big 4hr+ rides on the schedule yet, so there's no need to worry about not having enough energy going in to my rides.)

TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my 2c:
    Get protein the night before: eggs, pulses, whatever has good protein and very low fat. And vitamins, salads and some fruit.
    Before the rides, porridge works wonders for me, slow-release energy. Then during the ride is bananas, wholemeal bread with peanut butter, or the odd gel/bar.
    And protein-shake after the ride, or a recovery drink. That also cuts down hunger so you don't eat more than what you actually need.

I found that I need to build-up 12hrs before, so cutting down the calories before the ride doesn't work well with me. But like I said, I do avoid too many carbs, no deep-fried stuff, etc., so there's actually no real "extra" calories intake.
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even though it can be a real pain, counting your calories might be a good next step. It can help you clean up any remaining junk calories in the diet, plus you will have an idea on how big a deficit you have before a ride. At some point, the deficit will cause you a problem with recovery. Since you already probably log your rides, logging your calories will just give you more data to make a decision.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

been eating like crap the last few weeks...

getting back to normal and im getting headahes, sore and feeling drained. its odd how those comfort foods keep you coming back.
    Matt Moore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hellafab View Post
    been eating like crap the last few weeks...

getting back to normal and im getting headahes, sore and feeling drained. its odd how those comfort foods keep you coming back.
    And it's odd once I've stayed away and the cravings subside, how now crappy foods make me feel drained and funks up my gut. I guess it goes either way - like changing your pet's food brand abruptly.

I never did lose 20lbs, but my last two vacations I've returned 4-5lbs lighter. Might have stumbled upon the most expensive diet plan ever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    Even though it can be a real pain, counting your calories might be a good next step. It can help you clean up any remaining junk calories in the diet, plus you will have an idea on how big a deficit you have before a ride. At some point, the deficit will cause you a problem with recovery. Since you already probably log your rides, logging your calories will just give you more data to make a decision.
    Yeah, it would be the smart thing to do. I'm going to see how far I can get on eating less / eating smarter. If I can't get down to what I think is a better % body fat number (from my Tanita scale) then I'll have to be more rigorous about it. Also, I figure the easier I make it on myself and less of a chore it is, the more likely I am to keep it up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Find some hills ! It worked for me, after that your local velodrome for maintance !(; goodluck

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just want to put this here. I just started a new Instagram account to document my weight loss. I'd appricate any feedback
    @ridingwhilefat

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mgurtzweiler View Post
    180, 23%, 37 years old.

~150 is my racing weight

Just moved to Denver from DC and getting back on the bike. What has worked for me in the past in no snacking after dinner, no sweets, and no more than 3-4 beers a week. So I started 3 days ago. Massive cravings so far but they should go away in a few days.

Crossing my fingers.
    176 this morning. Cravings gone, and don't get hungry after dinner now. The hard part is over now I just need to keep candy out of the house...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by michäel2 View Post
    Find some hills ! It worked for me, after that your local velodrome for maintance !(; goodluck
    I have plenty of hills around.

If you're trying to loose weight I've found that it's a lot easier to not eat the calories in the first place than it is to eat them then try to burn them off via exercise. The human body is pretty darn efficient (especially when cycling) and it take a heck of a lot of pedaling to burn off even something as simple as a cookie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

176 this morning. Cravings gone, and don't get hungry after dinner now. The hard part is over now I just need to keep candy out of the house...
    173 this morning. I keep thinking about how easy those hills are going to be when I get to 145-150...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sadly I'm back here again.
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

173 this morning. I keep thinking about how easy those hills are going to be when I get to 145-150...
    171 / 18%. Getting passed by over weight ladies on the climbs is providing motivation. Last year I had a DXA scan done and it was really eye opening. I was 24.5% BF on the scan at 174. Nearly all of it on my thigh's and butt. Trying to spin my hamhocks at 100rpm sends my HR into tempo zone doing 100 watts.

Oh well, must persevere!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Down 4.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

need to get a scale again to participate? lol feeling heavy and sluggish these days.
    Matt Moore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

171 / 18%. Getting passed by over weight ladies on the climbs is providing motivation. Last year I had a DXA scan done and it was really eye opening. I was 24.5% BF on the scan at 174. Nearly all of it on my thigh's and butt. Trying to spin my hamhocks at 100rpm sends my HR into tempo zone doing 100 watts.

Oh well, must persevere!
    Getting a baseline DXA scan on Thursday. I honestly think I'll be down in the 140s before i get to 8% body fat. So far to go... Gonna get hard in another 10# or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hellafab View Post
    need to get a scale again to participate? lol feeling heavy and sluggish these days.
    Certainly easier to see success on the scale than in the mirror...But don't let that stop ya, feeling heavy and sluggish is why we're here.
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shoogs View Post
    Certainly easier to see success on the scale than in the mirror...But don't let that stop ya, feeling heavy and sluggish is why we're here.
    I did some hill repeats that night with the garmin in my jersey. I have to get out more often, your right.
    Matt Moore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting a baseline DXA scan on Thursday. I honestly think I'll be down in the 140s before i get to 8% body fat. So far to go... Gonna get hard in another 10# or so.
    Confirmed fatass (literally) here. 25% Bodyfat. 121lb lean 43lb fat.

skinnyfat.jpg

Look at that inner athlete just trying to get out (ps: it's the green). 50 bucks for follow up tests. I figure I'll do this every couple months to make sure I'm on track.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got a new scale, not happy about what it has to tell me. Probably should stop eating like crap.