Thread: Help losing 20 lbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Help losing 20 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Confession: before starting this I ate a lot of crappy junk food. It's a wonder I wasn't heavier.
    I used to eat a lot of really nice junk food- local, "good" ingredient baked goods, etc. It's amazing what reassessing your consumption (the how/ what parts) can do for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

128.4 x 6.6% BF Been trying to go sub-130 since Tom started the daily posts on this thread way back when.

--Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's nice to have some padding.
    I quit eating and within a few months hit 115lbs from 175.
    Here: coconino cycles custom bicycles 928 774 7747 www.coconinocycles.com: gettin' better!
    I am back up to about 130, and could finally stand.......
    - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    i think each of you should take a time out, channel your personal teenage years, watch some reruns of maude, and
    have some fantasies about yourself, adrienne barbeau, and some handcuffs, and STFU until you can play nice(r) with
    each other atmo.
    Adrienne Barbeau...I need some time alone...

El Dorado Hills, California, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Eric,

I had to go to the liquid egg whites,beans and lowfat cheese.It works pretty good,gain some muscle and lose some weight.It takes a little longer to see results.Oh I almost forgot,the 100 miles a week on the bike.You'll look killer for the ladies.

Marty M.
    :Marty M

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10/30/13: 171.5lbs
    11/5 - 170.0lbs

I can feel more air between my skin and jersey. Can fit back into some 32" waist pants I'd "outgrown" a year or two ago. Riding in the drops is more comfortable. Pretty stoked. 10lbs down, want to take another 10 or so off.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AntLockyer View Post
    166.3 and 11% today
    161 and 9.1% today

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

11/5 - 170.0lbs
    11/13 - 167.75lbs

Moved to the last (Skinniest) knotch in my custom belt this morning. Gonna have to get more holes put in it.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a little delayed, but a year ago I weighed 245 pounds (6' 4"). I had graduated half a year before then, and the idea of actually having money and sitting at a desk all day didnt go well with me. I set cross racing as a goal for the first time. The first 20 or so lbs was tough in the winter. I work in a 33 story building that allows us to use the stairs during lunch. I worked up to climbing 60-100 flights per lunch, about 30-40 min, and counted calories. The calorie counting helped for understanding what i was eating, made it a lot easier to pull back the quantity I was eating as well. After that things were easier, and I was riding a lot. I'm down to 212 right now, and a whole lot stronger. Every once and a while I could calories for a week or so, to remind myself. Also, cutting out eating about 2-3 hours before bed made a huge difference, and I felt a whole lot better in the mornings.

Its amazing how much different I feel with a little lest weight on me. I think I will try make it down to 205 or so.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by s_curran View Post
    ..... I worked up to climbing 60-100 flights per lunch, about 30-40 min, ....to 212 right now,....
    100 flights at 212 lbs is impressive!

Good work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by s_curran View Post

Its amazing how much different I feel with a little lest weight on me.
    Good job man. And that's not "a little less", that's a lot less!

I'm down to 165lbs now, 15lbs down from where I started. Hoping to drop about 5lbs more, maybe 10lbs.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AntLockyer View Post
    161 and 9.1% today
    159 and 9.1% today.

I was 188.76 in August 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I once asked the redoubtable Mike Barry (who knows as much about the history of bicycles, particularly derailleurs, as any living soul) how he stayed so fit. Mike is somewhere in his 70s now and can drop you like a stone if he's feelin' it, say up Rocacorba. The apple didn't fall far from the tree either. Mike said to me, "Ride more, eat less." Finally I have a trainer that doesn't feel like I'm pulling a wind sail and something a little more sane than rollers. I never use a computer, don't step on a scale. The goal is simple: a pair of Tellason jeans in 29. Well, maybe 30. I'd also have to go on the India Weight Loss Program: drink the tap water, exfoliate from every orifice for a month, take the meds, voila. I leave for India in three weeks for a month. I will get to ride my Hero, now almost 40 years old and still riding fine. I'm on a mission. It's more than 20lbs, I'm embarrassed to say but wearing my Filson Tin Cruiser while on the trainer has helped.
    Qui plume a, guerre a. Ce monde est un vaste temple dédié à la discorde.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dbrk View Post
    I once asked the redoubtable Mike Barry (who knows as much about the history of bicycles, particularly derailleurs, as any living soul) how he stayed so fit. Mike is somewhere in his 70s now and can drop you like a stone if he's feelin' it, say up Rocacorba. The apple didn't fall far from the tree either. Mike said to me, "Ride more, eat less." Finally I have a trainer that doesn't feel like I'm pulling a wind sail and something a little more sane than rollers. I never use a computer, don't step on a scale. The goal is simple: a pair of Tellason jeans in 29. Well, maybe 30. I'd also have to go on the India Weight Loss Program: drink the tap water, exfoliate from every orifice for a month, take the meds, voila. I leave for India in three weeks for a month. I will get to ride my Hero, now almost 40 years old and still riding fine. I'm on a mission. It's more than 20lbs, I'm embarrassed to say but wearing my Filson Tin Cruiser while on the trainer has helped.
    I always thought of the Tin Cloth as a garment for keeping water out. My rigid ways of thinking always keep me from making discoveries like you have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dbrk View Post
    I'd also have to go on the India Weight Loss Program: drink the tap water, exfoliate from every orifice for a month, take the meds, voila. I leave for India in three weeks for a month. I will get to ride my Hero, now almost 40 years old and still riding fine. I'm on a mission. It's more than 20lbs, I'm embarrassed to say but wearing my Filson Tin Cruiser while on the trainer has helped.
    Then on your way to the hotel from the Airport in India, have the car pull over to a local street vendor making PAAN. This will do the trick.
    After returning to the states, if the CDC shows up at your place of employment, it wasn't my idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been living a really crap lifestyle because of work. Most weeks I get in a 4wd on Monday morning and drive 400km out into the desert for work, where there are no sealed roads for 200km. We work ten hour days, then get fed huge dinners.

Result is I put on about five extra kilos, on top of the ten I already had spare, and was starting to really feel like crap.

So about six weeks ago I bought a cheap mountain bike that I keep out at work. I ride it 20km every weekday morning, then ride another hundred odd every weekend on my roadie. I've lost five kilo so fat, and have another ten to go to get back to fighting weight...
    Suzy Jackson
    Vanity blog: http://suzyj.blogspot.com
    Little fish bicycles website: http://www.littlefishbicycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Putting on weight is a nightmare. I lost eight kilos at start of September then went World Cup in Norway mid September and putfive back on and they ain't going nowhere at the moment to my shame.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm down to 165lbs now...
    162lbs this morning. WOOT.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

142km so far this week (all on the roadie - I'll do another 60+ tomorrow to ensure my weekly kays are over 200), 204 last week, 237 the week before. My weight has gone up a kilo from 85 to 86 (190 lbs). Not good.

I've gotta cut back the intake. I tried fasting (very light dinner) on Wednesday, but it had me off the back all the time on Thursday morning.
    Suzy Jackson
    Vanity blog: http://suzyj.blogspot.com
    Little fish bicycles website: http://www.littlefishbicycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In pursuit of my weight loss goal (and a few others) I've been using a couple smartphone apps I find really helpful. The first is Balanced, which lets you set up habits you want to form, like riding x times a week or reading every day or whatever. When you do the thing you check it off. If you forget, it bugs you. It also logs how well you've done at doing the thing - how many times you've done it on time, how often you've skipped it, etc. Lift is another very similar app - more detailed tracking of progress and the ability to have friends keep you accountable for doing the stuff you set out to do - I went with Balanced in the end but they're both good. The other one I'm using is Everest, which has you enter a big goal, and then plan our steps along the way. That one also has a social feature that lets you include some friends in your progress who you know will help motivate you.

Certainly these aren't necessary to achieve something, and I'm sure some people would rather motivate themselves some other way, but it's really helpful for me because I tend to forget things easily, and my wife isn't exactly wildly turned on by having to remind me of things (nor am I when she reminds me).

There are probably some other similar things out there but these are the ones that made the cut for me.