Page 6 of 68 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Help losing 20 lbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Help losing 20 lbs

I sit on my ass all day. I have to keep my weight down or I'll blow out my shoulders. I eat like I'm 43, not 23. Two tacos, not ten (I really used to eat 10 tacos)
    Don't eat anything "pre-cooked" or "ready to eat" - eat things you must prepare. It helps you two ways. it's good food, and you burn calories making it. That said, have cleaned spinach, washed veggies & fruits so you can assemble good stuff. Always avoid anything - ANYTHING that has been refined to a fine white powder.
    I don't eat while I ride unless I'm going over 4hrs full throttle, just a bottle of gatoraide & 1/2 a bagel & CC before.
    I like beer - it is a good sports/recovery drink, but not a 12pk. at a time = bad. It's called a "beer gut" for a reason.
    I eat a good sized b-fast & little or no lunch, mostly H2O and maybe a small snack. I find lunch makes me sleepy, dinner before 6PM if possible, and like I said - two tacos, not ten.

I did one big weight loss 215lbs >>>>> 155lbs - stopped powerlifting & started cycling @ 16yrs old. I was ripped.
    one 195lbs >>>>>>> 170lbs - went from firefighting back to racing, trimmed down from ripped to slim racing weight.
    worse = 175lbs racing weight >>>>>> 115lbs trauma.
    going from 115lbs back to current weight of 175lbs was TOUGH - had to eat bacon, ice cream & cokes for 4mths!

Good luck! - Garro.
    Last edited by steve garro; 08-07-2011 at 11:34 AM.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

157.8 / 10.7

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need to get a Tanita again. Karen replaced it with, and let the laughter start, a Weight Watchers branded one from a local kitchen and bath type place after the Tanita went south and in a day my BF percent went from 10 to 25.

The Tanita was amusing, if I weighed myself after coming in from a cold morning ride when I still couldn't feel my feet I'd be in the high twenties. After a hot shower I'd be back down about 9.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Tanita that I got about 8 years ago. I assumed I should use the "athletic" setting. Wrong. It showed by body fat lower by 10%. I had a caliper test and also the POD (air pressure) tests. On the normal setting, the Tanita was very close, less than 1-2%. The scales use inductive measurements so hydration can change things tremendously. You won't use the fat setting as a gold standard but it's useful to track your hydration. The weight measurement is very repeatable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wasfast View Post
    Having very slowly worked my way from nearly 220lbs in 2003 when I started riding again to 169lbs this race season, I can tell you that diet is a far bigger knob than exercise. I'm convinced of the benefits of eating real food and abandoning anything processed. Organic fruits, veggies. No high fructose corn syrup, soy, white flour, sodas, etc. Your body will be far happier without all the extra junk. Riding is certainly useful but you can't ride your way to thin without some food quality improvement. That's my experience on 150 miles a week year round with plenty of intervals in the middle.
    That sounds right to me.

One question I am working on is how to get the right mix of training to facilitate weight loss and fitness.

My plan is to do longer rides with threshold or steady state efforts versus rides where I hammer a few climbs and then tend to (i) overeat and (ii) need more recovery. Gotta keep that mileage up ...
    This of course assumes I can get enough time to ride. During weeks where I have more limited time I am thinking harder intervals and perhaps some running. Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You'll get the best results with a mix of long rides and short fast stuff. When I weigh myself in the morning, I find that I've often lost as much on a 5 hour ride as I will on a really hard 2 hour ride. Another trick is doing a long endurance ride in the afternoon, having a good recovery drink and skipping dinner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Watoni View Post
    That sounds right to me.

One question I am working on is how to get the right mix of training to facilitate weight loss and fitness.

My plan is to do longer rides with threshold or steady state efforts versus rides where I hammer a few climbs and then tend to (i) overeat and (ii) need more recovery. Gotta keep that mileage up ...
    This of course assumes I can get enough time to ride. During weeks where I have more limited time I am thinking harder intervals and perhaps some running. Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My basic riding schedule that I've used for years is Tuesday and Thursday are 1 to 1 1/2 hours with an intensity/interval approach. The intensity level and types of intervals varies over the year. Saturday is long ride day, 3-4 hours depending on the amount of climbing, Sunday is often medium intensity for 2 hours. You can get alot of fitness with those hours if you use the time wisely. I did alot of solid aerobic rides on Saturday where you get into a zone (power or HR) and stick there the entire time. It's much harder than you think. If you can analyze your data files from other rides (especially many group rides), you'll be amazed how much slow time there is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Watoni View Post
    That sounds right to me.

Depends on your job, morning schedule, lunch schedule, work place dress code, personal stinkability factor but I kept an mtb and a road bike at work for years, doing a short blitzkreig to work, another 15-20 min to get chicken, lunch, whatever. Then a long lunch road ride, hour ten or so.

Studies have shown, and I've verified, a couple few short hard efforts a day will kick-start your metabolism. I could eat like a horse and couldn't keep the weight on without piling on mega-miles.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

156.2 / 10.4

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

143 / 8.8 (5'11)
    Last edited by CXinNH; 08-14-2011 at 03:36 PM. Reason: err

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

158.2 / 10.2 and I ate like a squirrel yesterday

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    I
    going from 115lbs back to current weight of 175lbs was TOUGH - had to eat bacon, ice cream & cokes for 4mths!
    Holy toledo, I'd kill to be able to eat like that four months!!! Lucky bastard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty sure I'm the giant in here :-/ 6'2" 187.1
    Sunday night wedding makes the scale look ugly.
    Plus side is yoga again tonight...I am convinced that it will help me on the bike as much as getting down to 170.
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fixednwinter View Post
    Holy toledo, I'd kill to be able to eat like that four months!!! Lucky bastard.
    it was easy - I was in a coma & couldn't eat. - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    it was easy - I was in a coma & couldn't eat. - Garro.
    Scary - sorry to hear that :(

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

154.8 / 10.9, now we're talking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Officer View Post
    154.8 / 10.9, now we're talking
    more riding, less eating, better eating, or all three?

nice work

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

143 / 8.6
    Last edited by CXinNH; 08-14-2011 at 03:37 PM. Reason: err

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My weight maybe fluctuates by 10lbs over the course of the year - which is probably actually 5lbs with some water weight thrown in.

I can starting cutting weight easily when I first begin with smaller portions and really cut down on added sugar. Then as my appetite shrinks and my capacity for food intake shrinks things get easier. If I ditched my personal trainer and just ran 3-5 miles a day (instead of strength/power training), I could probably get down to a descent racing weight - but I've put on some muscle over the past year and tightened up other areas that I needed to.

I need smalls in my jerseys now, but will probably have to cut out elastic sleeves. I'm going to go out and buy some altoids today though. Altoids, black coffee, and punk rock should help me shed a few pounds today alone.

Edit: my plan today didn't work - had a pulled pork sandwich - it was worth it
    Last edited by Brandon White; 08-11-2011 at 02:49 PM. Reason: gluttony.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

accountability first of all, putting something down here makes me think and follow through on the other stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrenCT View Post
    more riding, less eating, better eating, or all three?

nice work