User Tag List

Page 58 of 68 FirstFirst ... 4849505152535455565758596061626364656667 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1342

Thread: Help losing 20 lbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Help losing 20 lbs

First post here. WILL make 175 before it gets cold. I was there last summer and it felt great. My son was born in November and I haven't been on the bike much since, but it's been poor time management and sleep habits more than anything. The plan:

Food. No grains/sugar except on rides and some fruit here and there. Little meat and lots of vegetables for meals, nuts for snacks.

Exercise. Commute to work (starting after vacation next week - need to get my beater SS bike built up so I have something I can lock up at work). Simplefit (crossfit-esque, but fewer variations and bodyweight only) for strength training. Will start after a couple solid weeks of commuting. Once the commuting and strength are in place, along with group rides when I can make it out for them, I'll look at some on-the-bike training. I'm relatively new to cycling (~2 years) and I feel like I still have a lot to gain from just riding a lot.

Obstacles. Mainly discipline regarding food. When I stick to the diet as described above and am good about early/consistent bedtime, I do really well. When I let it go, I expand. Time is also an issue - I get home, spend a few hours with my son before he sleeps, and by the time I have the dishes done it's 8PM. I need a good headlight so I have the option of night rides, but I've also got to spend time with my wife and be in bed by 10, so it's a challenge.

Starting weight:
    187.6 lbs

Wish me luck. Just kidding, I don't believe in luck. Just bitch me out if you see me slipping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm back. Last year I went from 213.5 to 175 from June 1 to Sept. 1 posting my weight here every day. Now it's time to lose the weight I regained over the winter and get back to 175. Today's weight: 186.5.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boxerboxer View Post
    First post here. WILL make 175 before it gets cold. I was there last summer and it felt great. My son was born in November and I haven't been on the bike much since, but it's been poor time management and sleep habits more than anything. The plan:

Food. No grains/sugar except on rides and some fruit here and there. Little meat and lots of vegetables for meals, nuts for snacks.

Exercise. Commute to work (starting after vacation next week - need to get my beater SS bike built up so I have something I can lock up at work). Simplefit (crossfit-esque, but fewer variations and bodyweight only) for strength training. Will start after a couple solid weeks of commuting. Once the commuting and strength are in place, along with group rides when I can make it out for them, I'll look at some on-the-bike training. I'm relatively new to cycling (~2 years) and I feel like I still have a lot to gain from just riding a lot.

Obstacles. Mainly discipline regarding food. When I stick to the diet as described above and am good about early/consistent bedtime, I do really well. When I let it go, I expand. Time is also an issue - I get home, spend a few hours with my son before he sleeps, and by the time I have the dishes done it's 8PM. I need a good headlight so I have the option of night rides, but I've also got to spend time with my wife and be in bed by 10, so it's a challenge.

Starting weight:
    187.6 lbs

Wish me luck. Just kidding, I don't believe in luck. Just bitch me out if you see me slipping.
    We have similar weight and similar weight loss goals. Let's both do it.

Congrats on your child. First one? I started riding with my son in a bike seat when he was one. No reason a kid should keep you off the bike.

Definitely get a headlight and taillights for your commute. In my case my commute alone racks up about 120 miles/week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First one. 7 months in a week or so. Commuter build got delayed because the hardware store told me the clearcoat they sold me would work with the colorcoat they sold me. False. Massive cracks. Sanding down and respraying color this week, hopefully commuting next week.

Starting strength training tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roy View Post
    We have similar weight and similar weight loss goals. Let's both do it.

Congrats on your child. First one? I started riding with my son in a bike seat when he was one. No reason a kid should keep you off the bike.

Definitely get a headlight and taillights for your commute. In my case my commute alone racks up about 120 miles/week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eat better, no snacking or eating except at the dinner table,lunch table, etc
    Portion size- servings no larger than the palm of your hand for meat,poultry, etc, and always walk away from the table without feeling really full
    Ride more

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been a while since I checked in. 192.8 three-ish weeks ago, 194.8 this morning. A bladder biopsy in early May lead to two weeks of antibiotics, which left me with little energy to ride. Still feeling the effects of that a bit. Now I'm dealing with moving and getting married in the next few weeks. Just hoping to do better at maintaining these days given the lack of time...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1st post on this thread.

Rewind to 2011. Won National Championships at 202lbs, about 5% BF.

Rewind to 2012. Way too much buisness and personal drama/chaos/complexity going on so forced (or chose!) to back off of training. Wine and food consumption up. Ended year @233lbs and 20% less fitness.

2013. Life back to normal but body not. Committed to self (and wife) to regain fitness and drop weight to 210, about 10% BF. Started training with a goal of a negative 6000kcal burn each week. Made small changes in caloric intake mainly by foregoing my unecessary calories (uuummm, thanks Mom for the sweet tooth and thanks Zinfindel grape for some great tasting wines) and layering in what I knew to be more beneficial calories. From all my years training/competiting, I know exactly what to do at the table and on the bike; I just was not following my own advice in 2012.

6/1/13. weight at 215lbs. 2" less in waistline. Fitness still down 15% from 2011 but that is just because I am concentrating on calorie-burning rides rather than fitness-building rides. I am seeing/feeling progress.

I will hit 210lbs sometime in August and will also be a bit fitter than now. Once at weight, then I will layer in some intervals and more targeted fitness-building rides. I will probably be the fittest, leanest end-of-the-year rider around. HaHa, it makes me laught to think how nuts I sound.

Oh well, all is fair in love and good health.
    ride hard. be well. have fun.
    bill (aka rustylion)
    404-242-5966
    rustylion54@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rustylion View Post
    1st post on this thread.

Rewind to 2011. Won National Championships at 202lbs, about 5% BF.

Rewind to 2012. Way too much buisness and personal drama/chaos/complexity going on so forced (or chose!) to back off of training. Wine and food consumption up. Ended year @233lbs and 20% less fitness.

2013. Life back to normal but body not. Committed to self (and wife) to regain fitness and drop weight to 210, about 10% BF. Started training with a goal of a negative 6000kcal burn each week. Made small changes in caloric intake mainly by foregoing my unecessary calories (uuummm, thanks Mom for the sweet tooth and thanks Zinfindel grape for some great tasting wines) and layering in what I knew to be more beneficial calories. From all my years training/competiting, I know exactly what to do at the table and on the bike; I just was not following my own advice in 2012.

6/1/13. weight at 215lbs. 2" less in waistline. Fitness still down 15% from 2011 but that is just because I am concentrating on calorie-burning rides rather than fitness-building rides. I am seeing/feeling progress.

I will hit 210lbs sometime in August and will also be a bit fitter than now. Once at weight, then I will layer in some intervals and more targeted fitness-building rides. I will probably be the fittest, leanest end-of-the-year rider around. HaHa, it makes me laught to think how nuts I sound.

Oh well, all is fair in love and good health.

Welcome Bill and good luck with the weight loss. Quite a contrast between your racing weight and Tom Officer's! Are you aiming to race again?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today: 184.5

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roy View Post
    Today: 184.5
    It may turn out to be noise, but today a half a pound is a half a pound :) Nice work! We'll have to see where I'm at tonight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)