User Tag List

Thread: automatic/mechanical watches on a budget.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default automatic/mechanical watches on a budget.

As a group of folks who tend to be interested in things mechanical in nature, there are very few things as teeny and intricate as mechanical watch innards (actions). The precision and skills necessary to create and assemble such works will always be a fascination to me. HOW IN HELL such actions survive when attached to my arm is as astonishing, but not quite as exciting as Thomas Voeckler's recent GT performance.

I was a bit ginger (not maryann) with my first Seiko auto diver, but as I got used to the big hunk o' stainless with all them itty bitty parts stuffed inside, I stopped taking it off so much. Then some three months after I started wearing it, I looked for scratches. There were none. NONE -- at __ all.

Scarred up crystals was the bane of all my previous anyday watches. Now I had a watch that will take all day any day punishment, and still look good, AND be representative of the finest actions in the world. Nearly everyone knows that a Rolex is an expensive watch, but very few know (of course _we_ know) that there are 16 zillion teeny parts inside and zero batteries/solar panels/radio receivers/circuit boards/computer chips.

Miniature precision is fascinating to us of the mechanical mindset (ask Dazza 'bout scale trains). Finding the Seiko's to be so durable, I have no need for any other watches. I've worn them doing every outdoorsy thing there is. I'd like to see those auto-wind/overwind clutch mechanisms when i'm running the chainsaw or splitting wood ... the blur that they must be.

The vintage Seikos have quite a following. Mine are current Singapore mfg iirc. If i hit the lotto, I'll get an RGM or some such--just not in the cards these days and as stated before, i have no need. As it is I have avoided buying half a dozen more Expeditions to watch them disintegrate on my wrist.

There are other budget-ish autos, bring 'em on. I just know the ones I have.

Mine are the 7S26 action. i have the "pepsi" and the orange face. many many straps later. There are many versions.

from the web:

here's an e-richie-esque drawing:

Last edited by WadePatton; 07-28-2011 at 10:35 PM.