User Tag List

Page 1 of 23 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: automatic/mechanical watches on a budget.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default automatic/mechanical watches on a budget.

As a group of folks who tend to be interested in things mechanical in nature, there are very few things as teeny and intricate as mechanical watch innards (actions). The precision and skills necessary to create and assemble such works will always be a fascination to me. HOW IN HELL such actions survive when attached to my arm is as astonishing, but not quite as exciting as Thomas Voeckler's recent GT performance.

I was a bit ginger (not maryann) with my first Seiko auto diver, but as I got used to the big hunk o' stainless with all them itty bitty parts stuffed inside, I stopped taking it off so much. Then some three months after I started wearing it, I looked for scratches. There were none. NONE -- at __ all.

Scarred up crystals was the bane of all my previous anyday watches. Now I had a watch that will take all day any day punishment, and still look good, AND be representative of the finest actions in the world. Nearly everyone knows that a Rolex is an expensive watch, but very few know (of course _we_ know) that there are 16 zillion teeny parts inside and zero batteries/solar panels/radio receivers/circuit boards/computer chips.

Miniature precision is fascinating to us of the mechanical mindset (ask Dazza 'bout scale trains). Finding the Seiko's to be so durable, I have no need for any other watches. I've worn them doing every outdoorsy thing there is. I'd like to see those auto-wind/overwind clutch mechanisms when i'm running the chainsaw or splitting wood ... the blur that they must be.

The vintage Seikos have quite a following. Mine are current Singapore mfg iirc. If i hit the lotto, I'll get an RGM or some such--just not in the cards these days and as stated before, i have no need. As it is I have avoided buying half a dozen more Expeditions to watch them disintegrate on my wrist.

There are other budget-ish autos, bring 'em on. I just know the ones I have.

Mine are the 7S26 action. i have the "pepsi" and the orange face. many many straps later. There are many versions.

from the web:

here's an e-richie-esque drawing:

Last edited by WadePatton; 07-28-2011 at 10:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: automatic/mechanical watches on a budget.

this is the "pepsi" face:

this is the diver's orange (that i have---i don't care for the others)

but all can be mixed and modded--if that's yo thang:

to be technically perfectly correct: mine has the hands of the pieces pic, not the assembled watch pic. but i have no reason to doubt the legitimacy of the other hands. little shit that drives collectors nutzo--or signs of un-authenticity. eff me...my second hand has the "ball" on it...whateva.
    Last edited by WadePatton; 07-28-2011 at 11:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

believe it or not there are Seiko collectors and a huge amount of variants and also a pile of counterfeits out there.

but buying a fake 200 dollar watch is MUCH less exasperating that buying a fake 2,000 dollar watchmo atwo yo. i bought one of the former and seller an i rectified the situation amicably. he refunded most of the money and i shitcanned the junkasscopy--saved return shipping.
    Last edited by WadePatton; 07-28-2011 at 10:52 PM. Reason: white castle

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Always wanted one of those Seiko dive watches. Elegant and tough! I their a reputable place to buy them used?
    I am still kicking myself over the Omega I missed in the classifieds...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Monsters can be gotten from Amazon for under $200, new with a warranty. Used goes for a little less. If I was buying now, I would go thru Amazon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by itspeedmoore View Post
    Always wanted one of those Seiko dive watches. Elegant and tough! I their a reputable place to buy them used?
    I am still kicking myself over the Omega I missed in the classifieds...
    it's really hard to tell w/o opening them up. just beware of anything underpriced and be able to return anything full-priced. if other folks are bidding--it's probably the real deal.

of course the best place is the classifieds section of the watch forums (no i don't recall which ones). caveat emptor, but really---these ain't expensive pieces.

yeah, i don't care for the bezel on the "monster". and ~200frn is what i expect to pay for any of these dealios.
    Last edited by WadePatton; 07-28-2011 at 11:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That Pepsi is one of my all time faves. I'd much rather have a Seiko automatic than an Omega quartz. And that Rolex quartz that the guy was selling on the metro this morning? Fuggedabout it.

I'll second the request for a good U.S. base Seiko dealer. I've looked at Long Island Watches, but I don't know how reputable they are. All the good Seiko watches appear to be overseas.

Seiko Watches - Hard to find Seiko Automatic Watches

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disclosure statement: I'm a complete and utter newb when it comes to watches. I've always just had battery operated watches on my wrist. That said, I've been intrigued by fancier/automatic watches for some time.

I've been thinking about purchasing an automatic Seiko or something else from Amazon. I don't need anything super fancy, and that's all that could fit into my budget anyway. Should I be concerned about purchasing a fake if I go through a reputable site like that? Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fmbp View Post
    Disclosure statement: I'm a complete and utter newb ... Should I be concerned about purchasing a fake if I go through a reputable site like that? Thanks in advance.
    nah.

ebay is where i got the feiko. but also ebay is where i bought my orange and probably the pepsi. find a forum like this one but wrt watches, support their advertisers maybe.

if you are buying used, have a jeweler open the case to see the action. that's how i discovered the fake (after something went funky and i took it to jeweler.) now it's how i verify...and they're supposed to be cleaned/serviced now and again.

ALSO, they will _not_ be as accurate as a quartz mechanism. Mine always gain, so it's no big deal. When i alternate each day, they are most accurate. If i wear one, it will gain. Alternating two keeps both wound.

++++++++++++++

bands/straps: i've worn blue, black, red, orange, and original rubber. they all wear out, but the red and orange fade considerably if one is outdoors as much as i am. the italian rubber straps smell of chocolate.

the straps eventually crack or tear out. the deployant buckles are forever...but they are sold together, so i have plenty of spare clasps if anybody needs one. the aftermarket straps reduce the overall bulk of the system atmo. never could stand the metal bracelet.

my fave:
    (not affiliated, and my regular source is in FL)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WadePatton View Post
    nah.

ebay is where i got the feiko. but also ebay is where i bought my orange and probably the pepsi. find a forum like this one but wrt watches, support their advertisers maybe.

if you are buying used, have a jeweler open the case to see the action. that's how i discovered the fake (after something went funky and i took it to jeweler.) now it's how i verify...and they're supposed to be cleaned/serviced now and again.

ALSO, they will _not_ be as accurate as a quartz mechanism. Mine always gain, so it's no big deal. When i alternate each day, they are most accurate. If i wear one, it will gain. Alternating two keeps both wound.

++++++++++++++

bands/straps: i've worn blue, black, red, orange, and original rubber. they all wear out, but the red and orange fade considerably if one is outdoors as much as i am. the italian rubber straps smell of chocolate.

the straps eventually crack or tear out. the deployant buckles are forever...but they are sold together, so i have plenty of spare clasps if anybody needs one. the aftermarket straps reduce the overall bulk of the system atmo. never could stand the metal bracelet.

my fave:
    (not affiliated, and my regular source is in FL)

thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love my Seiko for all the reasons you have mentioned. I don't swim so have a leather strap on at the moment. Will switch out to a rubber for vacation.

seiko.jpglume.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sweet. that's the one i'd prefer, i dig the "made in japan" part. i used to pitch mine into the deep end for the kids to dive after. diver's watch right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get what you say on the monster. It is pretty chunky. I'd love a blue sumo, but I can't get my arms around dropping that kind of money on one.

Based on my very cursory review of the watch forums, the Singapore vs Japan distinction on the movement really doesnt matter that much. They are considered to be of equivalent quality. Some of the watch forums are, interesting, to say the least.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought the MIJ one because it cost me no more than the other one and I prefer the face graphic which is such a subtle difference it proves I'm a pervert.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love my seiko auto, but I would like to save up for a bali hai. If anyone wants my orange one, its 3 months old donate $20 to the VS and 60 to me, you can have it on a maratac black strap, with the original steel strap in the box.

On original

On Maratac

Its a SNZF19.

Holla at me, that Bali Hai http://www.balihaiproject.com/ is not going to buy itself :)

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    I love my seiko auto, but I would like to save up for a bali hai. If anyone wants my orange one, its 3 months old donate $20 to the VS and 60 to me, you can have it on a maratac black strap, with the original steel strap in the box.

On original

On Maratac

Its a SNZF19.

Holla at me, that Bali Hai The BaliHa'i Project is not going to buy itself :)

-Joe
    Pm sent Joe and I'll up the donation to the Salon a bit.
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm on that if rydesteel opts out. Good score and nice on you joe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its found a new home with rydesteel!

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cool. i've been intrigued by the mid-sized jobbies but never closed a deal on one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This will be my first mechanical watch in years. I had a titanium Seiko years ago and when it broke so was I and it went by the wayside. Thanks Joe for watch and Wade for starting the thread. Enjoy the day all.

Frank
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Page 1 of 23 1234567891011 ... LastLast