User Tag List

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: automatic/mechanical watches on a budget.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: automatic/mechanical watches on a budget.

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    Pic is Buzz, correct? Was the watch an Apollo-only issue?
    correct--buzz.

my father's is a regular civilian model that carried the inscription. he bought it while working as a wire photographer during the apollo missions on the cape for a hundred dollars.
    i think the only difference between civilian and nasa issue is the extra-long velcro strap in order to lash the watch to the outside of the spacesuit.

mine hasn't been to the moon, but has seen the sandinistas, saigon, jonestown, the dissolution of the soviet caucasus republics, and the inside of a few presidencies. i love it.

Jack_Swigert_Apollo_13-70-H-475.jpg

jack swigert wearing his before the infamous apollo 13

more here

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great story, sonny. Thanks. That's what I call an heirloom.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just got my Maratac Pilot Mid-Size in the mail.

It's this one:
    CountyComm - Maratac Pilot Automatic Watch

First impressions:
    - No receipt or paperwork in the packaging, which was two padded envelopes inside each other. A little weird.
    - The case it comes with is adequate; cordura; black; decent quality
    - Comes with a Maratac Zulu black strap, which is surprisingly nice. Smoother, softer finish than I would have thought.
    - I definitely like the 39+/-mm size. I'm 6'6", 250ish and this feels like plenty of watch to me.
    - I really like the almost 5:00 crown placement. One of my issues with a few other watches I've worn is that when I bend my hand back, the crown (if at 3:00) digs in a little, to the point where I got a little mark from one of the Seikos I had. This keeps it tucked out of my way and harm's way, and looks nice as well. Screws down very securely.
    - The crystal seems to be very good quality, comparable in clarity and optical effect to my Baume.
    - The body is a nice brushed finish, which is understated.
    - The numbers have a very slight greenish tint in daylight
    - Maybe it's just because it's 5:35 now, but the hour/minute hands, when at the bottom of their sweep, largely obscure the second hand. Doesn't really matter to me, since I'd never really use this to time seconds except MAYBE grilling ( ; ) but the second hand dial is a little compressed feeling

Overall it feels very solid but not heavy; I forget how comfortable the Nato straps are from new compared to a new leather band that needs a break in and still doesn't get really soft.

$205+/- with shipping; we'll see how well it keeps time and holds up, but I'm wearing it happily now and don't plan to take it off!

JC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool - let us know how accurate it is after a while. Good looking watch, especially fo the money!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echelon_john View Post
    Just got my Maratac Pilot Mid-Size in the mail. ..
    How Is it man! Inquiring minds want to know.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of accuracy - my MKII has run at an uber-consistant -3sec/day since day one, no matter what. Not bad for a 'tool watch.'
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Very impressed. Only had it a couple of weeks, but it's accurate to within about 15 seconds (gained) from when I first set it, so that's pretty good if it extrapolates out to 30sec/month. I really like how understated it is; definitely a good choice for the guy who doesn't need everybody around him to know what kind of watch he's wearing. All in all I would encourage a serious look at it; seems to be great value.

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    How Is it man! Inquiring minds want to know.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I received this in the past few days, a 1983 Seiko 6309-7040 PVD diver with Kanji day wheel. It's fucking rad.

Anyway, I thought I'd show it off here, since reading this thread and the other timepieces thread is fully to blame for sending me down the rabbit hole; Musgrave, I'm looking at you here man.

Attachment 40698Attachment 40699Attachment 40700
    Last edited by C.Dyer; 04-17-2012 at 07:17 PM. Reason: rotation

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice - and guilty as charged. :-)

I'm thinking about picking up a XW Tsunami once Jake gets the next batch of movements in.

Call it a modern 6309 if you will. 6309 case/dial/hands/etc but updated with a sapphire crystal and a unbranded 6R15 movement (basically a hacking/hand-winding 7S26) from the current Seiko Sumo's. With 300+ meters water resistance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out these guys:
    Egendesignade klockor Fewsome.com

Let's you design your own watch with a Citizen quart or mechanical movement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread had a lot to do with me picking up an SKX007, a 6309 is definitely on the list as well at some point.

Jake is doing really cool stuff, hopefully my budget will allow something of his eventually.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just came upon this thread.. awesome stuff. Seems some of you know your Seiko stuff. Can anyone give some insight on mine? This was my father's. He wore it all the time when I was younger. He purchased it overseas about 1970ish. Rarer color I am told. He gave it to me over 10yrs ago and I paid $100 to have a jeweler clean it out, as it had some oxidation. It stopped working a few months later. It is an automatic. Last year, a local watch/jeweler here in Raleigh, NC told me it would be hundreds to get it going good and that he could not replace the glass.. I still almost did it, as I'd love to wear it.

Musgrave- saw your Cary, NC recommendation. I bookmarked the page and may try to get a 2nd opinion..

seiko.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jack at IWW is one of the best! Y might have to wait a while, but it will be worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a 6139 chrono, commonly referred to as a "Pogue" due to the fact a Dr William Pogue wore one during his stay on Skylab.

Check out the seiko board on watchuseek.com for references on who is the guy for repairing Seiko chrono mov'ts. Possibly the cheapest route would be finding a donor with that same movement that is in running condition for a swap or parts. But you won't really know what's needed till a good watchmaker with experience with these movements gets it open.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have one of these?
    F1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by th_boone View Post
    Just came upon this thread.. awesome stuff. Seems some of you know your Seiko stuff. Can anyone give some insight on mine? This was my father's. He wore it all the time when I was younger. He purchased it overseas about 1970ish. Rarer color I am told. He gave it to me over 10yrs ago and I paid $100 to have a jeweler clean it out, as it had some oxidation. It stopped working a few months later. It is an automatic. Last year, a local watch/jeweler here in Raleigh, NC told me it would be hundreds to get it going good and that he could not replace the glass.. I still almost did it, as I'd love to wear it.

Musgrave- saw your Cary, NC recommendation. I bookmarked the page and may try to get a 2nd opinion..

seiko.JPG
    What wears out in the 6139 is the 3rd wheel.
    Not made anymore. Your outer bezel has faded as well.

I would contact Ken Setser @ Home

He is the only one I know that can find parts to repair the old Seiko chronos.

Like all watch repair people, don't be in a hurry to get it back. They seem to work at their own time frame.
    lol!

I don't take in repair anymore, the nerve damage has finally won out, and I can't use my hands for the feel I needed to repair watches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very good ! Thanks for all the info. Ken Setser's business looks perfect. My dad purchased while he was over in Vietnam, if I recall. Never had any idea of the scope of appreciation of watches of that era. After scouring the internet for a while earlier and looking on ebay.. makes me want to start a collection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just put my deposit down on the Tsunami (one of 4 classics left). Guess that means I have to quit wearing the MKII and get it posted for sale.

Funny, in some sort of twisted symmetry: I'm just now realizing my MKII was originally built for a cat named Jake Bourdeau - the very man who's building my Tsunami!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by musgravecycles View Post
    Just put my deposit down on the Tsunami (one of 4 classics left). Guess that means I have to quit wearing the MKII and get it posted for sale.

Funny, in some sort of twisted symmetry: I'm just now realizing my MKII was originally built for a cat named Jake Bourdeau - the very man who's building my Tsunami!!
    Any more info on this? I don't see anything on the Dagaz site. Do you hafta know someone? Or is it worth contacting Jake?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

drop me at note at musgravecycles AT gmail DOT com...