User Tag List

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223

Thread: automatic/mechanical watches on a budget.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: automatic/mechanical watches on a budget.

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    It's probably magnetized, which is an easy fix. I've never done it, but I think you can buy the de-magnetizer for pretty cheap and do it at home whenever needed.
    gave it a shot - $10 on Amazon for the blue demagnetizer seen everywhere. No luck. I dropped it off at the local watch shop to see if they could demagnetize. No luck. Confirming my suspicions, I was politely told that "the service cost would exceed the value of the watch."

I looked around for a bit for a replacement, but I really just wanted my old watch back. I ordered a watch kit from DIY Watch Club. My hope was that I could learn enough to repair my old watch. If not, worse case I have a new watch. The kit was fun. While it's essentially the horological version of IKEA furniture, it's still a bit of fun to see how it all gets put together. A bit pricey, but I was really just in it to buy the confidence and basic knowledge to DIY my movement replacement.

The Maratac takes the Miyota 8247 movement. Hours and minutes are on the central posts with a separate seconds indicator at 6:00. I ordered a replacement movement only to have the order cancelled by the seller - out of stock. I did some more Googling, found out the 8245 was a modified version of the 8215 movement, which has H/M/S all on the central post. I was able to find CAD drawings of the movements and found that all the important "landmarks" were the same between the 8215 and 8245. I considered getting the 8215 and ordering a seconds hand, but I really like the little seconds indicator. Miyota also makes the 8247 which features the same seconds indicator as 8245 but also includes a 24hr indicator at 10:00. I took a gamble and assumed that all 82XX movements shared the same basic geometry and would fit.

Watch disassembled. The movement is held in the case by the little screw-down clips.

I realized that I'd need to have a movement holder if I wanted to work on the movement without putting pressure on the rotor. I quickly drew up something in Fusion and 3D printed it.

Here I've got everything apart. You can see the first movement holder I printed before I realized I'd want to have a cutout for the crown/stem. At least it's convenient for holding all the screws and little pieces.

Here's the new 8247 movement. You see that little pin sticking up in the middle of the picture circled in yellow? That's the post for the 24hr indicator. You can see the seconds indicator in the background, just in front of my index finger. If you play guitar, I'd say these little pins are probably about as thick as .008s. maybe thinner. I'll have to snip off the 24 hr post if I want the dial to fit.

Here's the movement before snipping the 24hr post. You can see the cover for the 24hr mechanism over on the right side of the pic. The 24hr indicator post is at about 7:00 in the middle of the grey gear.

After a successful post-ectomy, here's everything put back together before I put the case back on. I was able to reuse the existing stem and crown so I did not have to deal with sizing and cutting the stem.

And the wrist shot. I swear it’s not dusty inside!

Despite my best attempts to damage the new movement, it's keeping fine time. I've got my old watch back, and now I've got some new tools and skills that are going to open up a whole new rabbit hole of tinkering and modding. Unsurprisingly, the biggest challenge was size. Everything is tiny and impossible to see. My well-lit desk might as well have been a dungeon. If I decide to tinker with watches more in the future, I’ll definitely get a bright and maneuverable lamp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^
    Bravo! I have this same watch sitting in a drawer because after years of everyday use it became too unreliable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome job!!
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is pretty damn cool, @defspace.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man runs out of cheese, makes rocket ship in basement.

Nice work!
    Last edited by j44ke; 07-20-2022 at 09:24 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is anyone going to the NYC Wind Up Watch Fair?
    135 W 18TH ST, NYC

FRIDAY
    OCTOBER 21: 12 - 6PM

SATURDAY
    OCTOBER 22: 12 - 6PM

SUNDAY
    OCTOBER 23: 12 - 5PM

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I promised my wife, two of my brothers (who are also into watches), and myself that I did not need another dive watch especially one with a black dial.

I foolishly tried one on at the Citizen booth during the NYC WindUp Watch Fair which led me to call the salesperson I know at the Citizen outlet store near me and ask if they had any in-stock. The response, "Normally we don't get the newest watches but after the Times Square store closed recently we got most of their stock. I have 1 left and can give you a really good price." I am weak in the knees for black dial diver watches so I bought it.

It is thinner than my SKX watches so fits well under a shirt cuff, titanium makes it light, the rubber band is soft and pliable so comfortable to wear, and it comes with the higher-end Miyota 9051 movement. My one complaint is that the crown is small so setting the time and date can be a chore.

Citizen Promaster Dive Automatic - SUPER TITANIUM

*Sorry about the stock pic but lately I can't seem to take a wrist pic without it being blurry or having too much glare.

Anybody want to buy a upgraded/modded SKX007 or SKX009 because I may no longer need them after this latest purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Is anyone going to the NYC Wind Up Watch Fair?
    135 W 18TH ST, NYC

FRIDAY
    OCTOBER 21: 12 - 6PM

SATURDAY
    OCTOBER 22: 12 - 6PM

SUNDAY
    OCTOBER 23: 12 - 5PM

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a 20 year old Citizen Eco-Drive dive watch. I don't know if it is a Pro-master or not. It has a solid case, so you have to access the interior from the front. 300m rating, screw-in crown. And it is smaller than a frisbee so works on my wrist. Great watch. I bet that one is good too. I paid maybe $200, but 20 years ago maybe $200 was like $700 now.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I promised my wife, two of my brothers (who are also into watches), and myself that I did not need another dive watch especially one with a black dial.

I foolishly tried one on at the Citizen booth during the NYC WindUp Watch Fair which led me to call the salesperson I know at the Citizen outlet store near me and ask if they had any in-stock. The response, "Normally we don't get the newest watches but after the Times Square store closed recently we got most of their stock. I have 1 left and can give you a really good price."

Can you call your man and ask if he has any black dial 0100's?!

That's a great watch and looker - great catch!
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmgorman View Post
    Can you call your man and ask if he has any black dial 0100's?!

That's a great watch and looker - great catch!
    Don't know the reference. What's the full model number (or a link to it)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't know the reference. What's the full model number (or a link to it)?
    Was kind of a joke - they're impossible to find and I couldn't swing it right now anyway. But was referring to one of these - the new caliber 100 citizens hitting ±1 second per year
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I have a 20 year old Citizen Eco-Drive dive watch. I don't know if it is a Pro-master or not. It has a solid case, so you have to access the interior from the front. 300m rating, screw-in crown. And it is smaller than a frisbee so works on my wrist. Great watch. I bet that one is good too. I paid maybe $200, but 20 years ago maybe $200 was like $700 now.
    No, mine is actually most like this one. Sells for $380 approx. So that's not horrible after 20 years. Mine is 40mm at most, but the newer model is 44mm I think. I like the crown at 4pm as mine at 3pm digs into the ulnar lump on the outside of my wrist when I am working outside.

Anyway, titanium is obviously the coolest metal so a titanium watch would automatically (hah) be cool to have.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.vintagewatchcompany.com/...-vintage-rolex

I really never liked rolex. But yesterday, my wife and I were in the Burlington Arcade near the Vintage Watch Company with all the Vintage Rolex displays. It is quite crazy.

I may buy one the same year I was born. I have rare port from that year too. . .and with the GBP so cheap....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmgorman View Post
    Was kind of a joke - they're impossible to find and I couldn't swing it right now anyway. But was referring to one of these - the new caliber 100 citizens hitting ±1 second per year
    Did not see that one at the store but they had this the last time I was there:
    Eco-Drive One

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought this looked pretty good but I wished they had used a better movement than the low end Miyota which I find to be too rattly and loses enough time to make one late for a cricket match.

https://www.timex.com/expedition-nor...dition#start=1

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love titanium and mechanical watches but if I were worried about being late for a cricket match, I would get a quartz or digital watch.

Quote Originally Posted by bbattle View Post
    I thought this looked pretty good but I wished they had used a better movement than the low end Miyota which I find to be too rattly and loses enough time to make one late for a cricket match.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Timex did a banging job on that one. Really impressed.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The hour & minute hand are too close in length IMO. They should have extended the minute hand out to the end of the minute track.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?