User Tag List

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: automatic/mechanical watches on a budget.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: automatic/mechanical watches on a budget.

Roland linked me with this page, so maybe you folks are interested.

Update on the RGM Model 5-GMT-RS "Richard Sachs" Version — RGM Watch Co.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I already contacted Roland. I will be in NYC in 2 weeks visiting family and attending the watch shows so I will have a chance to meet Roland and see the watch "in the metal".

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    Roland linked me with this page, so maybe you folks are interested.

Update on the RGM Model 5-GMT-RS "Richard Sachs" Version — RGM Watch Co.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This showed up recently after a slight delay (thanks USPS). Apparently it sold out within hours of being released.

The Long Island Watch "Islander Diver" has all the goodies: Seiko hand-winding and hacking movement, sapphire crystal, ceramic bezel insert, 200m water resistance, drilled lugs, and all SKX parts (OEM and aftermarket) fit if you ever want to mod it.

It really is the watch Seiko should have made instead of the now discontinued SKX007/009/011. Even the new "SK5" is selling for $295 to $335 and is a lesser watch than the SKX that came before it (albeit with an upgraded movement).

As much as I love it, this is probably another "catch and release" for me so PM if you are interested.

Also, anyone going to the NYC WindUp Watch Fair next week? I'll be there Friday afternoon.

Attachment 113454

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Against my better judgement because I am trying to downsize my watch collection (because I do not actually want a collection), I ordered this just announced ISLANDER AUTOMATIC DIVE WATCH (SKX clone) from Long Island Watch; it is their new in-house brand.

I recently sold my Spinnaker Tesei Titanium, Seiko SRP777, modded Seiko SKX011, never worn Hamtun Nanok, and barely worn Casio DW5035 35th Anniversary but still wanted a beater watch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More Seiko modded watches. I blame my younger brother who is a fan of less expensive watches and probably owns 60 of them in the $25 to $500 range.

Both mods started out as Seiko SNZF17 (aka Sea Urchin). Thy look great and will be even better when I get them back from the modder and can put straps on them.

My brother's modded watch
    - DLW sapphire crystal
    - DLW ceramic 12 hour bezel insert
    - DLW silver chapter ring with minute markers
    - DLW Mercedes style hands
    - Seiko NH36 movement upgrade with black day/date wheels
    Attachment 113469

My modded watch
    - DLW sapphire crystal
    - DLW ceramic sub vintage black mk2 bezel insert
    - DLW silver chapter ring
    - Namoki mercedes style hands
    - Namoki Divemaster Black dial
    - Seiko NH36 movement upgrade with white day/date wheels
    Attachment 113470

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    This showed up recently after a slight delay (thanks USPS). Apparently it sold out within hours of being released.

The Long Island Watch "Islander Diver" has all the goodies: Seiko hand-winding and hacking movement, sapphire crystal, ceramic bezel insert, 200m water resistance, drilled lugs, and all SKX parts (OEM and aftermarket) fit if you ever want to mod it.

It really is the watch Seiko should have made instead of the now discontinued SKX007/009/011. Even the new "SK5" is selling for $295 to $335 and is a lesser watch than the SKX that came before it (albeit with an upgraded movement).

As much as I love it, this is probably another "catch and release" for me so PM if you are interested.

Also, anyone going to the NYC WindUp Watch Fair next week? I'll be there Friday afternoon.

Attachment 113454
    These have been getting great reviews across the internet; somebody should take advantage of this offer. If I didn't already have two dive watches, I'd be all over this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is anyone making a nice black face seiko replacement dial with pilot style arabic numbers around the face? With good lume?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    Is anyone making a nice black face seiko replacement dial with pilot style arabic numbers around the face? With good lume?
    Yes but you also need to know if your watch has a 3 o'clock (tend to be older Seiko 5 watches) or 4' o'clock crown (SKX 007/009/011 and most newer Seiko 5).

Does it have a date window at 3, a date window at 4, a day/date window at 3? (You can convert a 3 o'clock to a 4 o'clock date only window but you cannot convert a "4 o'clock crown with 3 o'clock day/date window" to a "3 o'clock crown with 3 o'clock day/date window" or vice versa)

3 o'clock no date with 12 and 24 hour markers
    Web Store - DAGAZ WATCH LTD.
    3 o'clock date with 12 and 24 hour markers
    3 o'clock no date with 3/6/9/12 markers
    3 o'clock date with 3/6/9/12 markers

4 o'clock no date with 12 and 24 hour markers
    4 o'clock date with 12 and 24 hour markers
    https://www.dagazwatch.com/apps/webs...s/show/5223769
    4 o'clock date with 3/6/9/12 markers
    https://www.dagazwatch.com/apps/webs...s/show/1376402

I have had several Seiko watches modified and had good luck with parts from Dagaz, DLW Watches, and Namoki.

PM with any detailed questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something like that bottom on without the 24h scale would be ideal. My brain needs the numerals on the face (all of them). I don't particularly need another watch, but something like that paired with the day/ date of an SK or the Islander would be swell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something like that bottom on without the 24h scale would be ideal. My brain needs the numerals on the face (all of them). I don't particularly need another watch, but something like that paired with the day/ date of an SK or the Islander would be swell.
    I can't tell if you are trying to modify a current Seiko watch or are considering a new Seiko watch which you need to modify.
    Again, PM me if you need some help with either one.

4 o'clock crown with date:

4 o'clock crown with day/date:
    Dial - Mil Spec - Black - Day Date – dlwwatches
    Dial - Mil Spec - White - Day Date – dlwwatches

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They showed up today, I put on straps, and they look amazing.

Both started life as the Seiko SNZF17 (aka Sea Urchin).

Vintage Submariner style is mine and Dual Time style is my younger brother's.
    (the chapter ring with minute markers on the dual time is matte silver even though it looks white in the picture)

Attachment 113489Attachment 113490

***** For the right price, the Submariner style might be for sale (aka make the wife happy and reduce the collection)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a point of reference I personally would stay away from Dagaz/XW. I was burned by Jake on the Tsunami deal and wouldn't go there...ymmv. Yobokies is the standard for Seiko parts but there is a lot of new players in that space too (thanks to instagram).
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Musgrave View Post
    As a point of reference I personally would stay away from Dagaz/XW. I was burned by Jake on the Tsunami deal and wouldn't go there...ymmv. Yobokies is the standard for Seiko parts but there is a lot of new players in that space too (thanks to instagram).
    Do tell about Dagaz because I have ordered mod parts a few times with great results and know others who have as well.

As for Yobokies, Harold's stuff is nice (not necessarily better than the others anymore - it's all made in the same Chinese factory anyway) but he really needs to enter the 21st century with an actual eCommerce website. As I am sure you know, currently one must look through a way too long photobucket (yes, he still uses photobucket), email him with your request, wait for his response, go back and forth a few times about pricing, and then send payment via a PayPal link which does not always work correctly.

With so many better options out there, I am surprised anyone still orders from Yobokies unless he has something nobody else has in stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think every time I look down the Seiko mod rabbit hole I realize for not a ton more money I can get a watch made from the factory with the features I like. I just need to drop more change in the jar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think every time I look down the Seiko mod rabbit hole I realize for not a ton more money I can get a watch made from the factory with the features I like. I just need to drop more change in the jar.
    Save your shekels. There are good durable options with white dials which I always find to be more legible.

Marathon 36mm ARCTIC TSAR QUARTZ MILITARY DIVERS

Sinn 41mm 104 St/Sa White on H-Link Bracelet

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those are my aspirational watches (GSAR and the numbered face 104).

I have a birthday every year.... Hmm...
    Last edited by Eric Estlund; 10-22-2019 at 01:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A while back I was bitten by the white dial bug and seriously considered getting a Tag, but reason prevailed and I got an Orient Mako II instead:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I gave it a shot this year and would agree with you. The cost to tool up, the costs of finding reputable parts makers, the cost of making mistakes... Hasn't really been the fun "learn something new" experience I thought it would be, just another stress.

Anyway, as my SKX011 sits today, 3 months after getting it, 3 bezels, 3 sets of hands and a strap later.

Attachment 113518
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mainlyfats View Post
    I gave it a shot this year and would agree with you. The cost to tool up, the costs of finding reputable parts makers, the cost of making mistakes... Hasn't really been the fun "learn something new" experience I thought it would be, just another stress.

Anyway, as my SKX011 sits today, 3 months after getting it, 3 bezels, 3 sets of hands and a strap later.
    Bold choice with the smooth fixed bezel. Like the hand choice too. Never liked the stock gold hands and the stock bezel insert with the gold lettering.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw and tried on so many cool watches at the WindUp Watch Fair in NYC yesterday. I'll post a few more pics over the coming days but here are some highlights for now.

While I thought I could escape the show without buying anything because I am not really a "collector" and am trying to downsize/sell several of the less expensive watches I have purchased in the past 12 months, I could not resist this one. I learned about Collins Watch Company via a YouTube video created by Marc the owner of Long Island Watch. I liked the overall design but was not crazy about the dial and hand choices. At the show I stopped by the Collins Watch booth and was talking with the owner Jimmy Collins. I mentioned that whenever he gets around to making a blue dial version I might be interested. About 5 seconds later he showed me this which is 1 of 5 currently made until he officially launches the new colorway in a few weeks. He asked, "If you want it today, you will be the second owner of the new blue dial because I just sold the first at the Chicago watch show last week". I of course said, "Yes, please."

Attachment 113534

My younger brother who is a "collector" of vintage and new watches and has more than 60 bought these two.

Raven Solitude