User Tag List

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: automatic/mechanical watches on a budget.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: automatic/mechanical watches on a budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Nope. I'd only buy a watch I planned on wearing.
    What he said. Rock it, don't stock it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had three Seiko 5 SNZH55/57 "Fifty Five Fathoms" watches made for me and two of my brothers several weeks ago as an homage to the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms.
    It is interesting to see what each of us chose:

Oldest = gold dial and hands, sailcloth strap
    Attachment 113124

Second oldest (me) = silver dial and hands with date at 4:30, two piece nylon bond style strap
    Attachment 113125

Third oldest = silver dial and hands with date at 3, original Seiko bracelet
    Attachment 113126

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Against my better judgement because I am trying to downsize my watch collection (because I do not actually want a collection), I ordered this just announced ISLANDER AUTOMATIC DIVE WATCH (SKX clone) from Long Island Watch; it is their new in-house brand.

I recently sold my Spinnaker Tesei Titanium, Seiko SRP777, modded Seiko SKX011, never worn Hamtun Nanok, and barely worn Casio DW5035 35th Anniversary but still wanted a beater watch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've picked up a few more watches; these are all automatics:

Finally, a Codek Spiral

The Spiral — Codek Watches

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about a fun exercise on a rainy, cold, and dreary New England afternoon....dreaming of warmer and sunnier days on the bike with one of these on the wrist....

Which one would you purchase new and why?
    (assuming no wait lists and prices were the same)

Would you go for the classic style of the Submariner Date stainless steel or the quirky Pelagos LHD titanium ("fauxtina" lume, roulette date wheel, and LHD compared to the regular Pelagos)?

Has the Submariner and Submariner Date become "luxury timepieces" whereas the Pelagos and Pelagos LHD could still be considered "tool watches"?

Rolex Submariner Date 116610LN $8550

Tudor Pelagos LHD 25610TNL (Left Hand Drive) $4450

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pelagos. But I'm biased.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sub, because it's a better watch, especially if you're (hypothetically) setting the prices the same. I'm equally a fan of both brands and love the Pelagos, fwiw. It's just that the Sub is better in every way, which is also why it's twice the price. The only caveat is that if you're going to ride your bike with it on, the Pelagos is the right choice because it's Ti. Bonus points for getting one anodized to match your Ti bike.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

realized I put this in the wrong thread as both watchesshould not be considered "...on a budget" unless your thing is Richard Mille. Please carry-on anyway...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    realized I put this in the wrong thread as both watchesshould not be considered "...on a budget" unless your thing is Richard Mille. Please carry-on anyway...
    Not that you implied anything, but I feel it necessary to record for posterity that Richard Mille is most definitely not "my thing."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reasons for the pelagos just to make this a total crossfire episode:

-- first titanium case from Rolex/Tudor
    -- first (I believe) in house Tudor movement with a silicon balance spring that rolex hasn't adopted.
    -- that new Rolex submariner case decided to make the lugs fatty mc fatties for no real reason.
    -- the spring microadjust on the bracelet is better than the glidelock.

Also destro watches are fun, the helium escape valve breaks up the slab side of the case and the fauxtina is subtle to more of a cream look than anything else.

But if you want to make your money back on buying, Rolex is the way to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not that you implied anything, but I feel it necessary to record for posterity that Richard Mille is most definitely not "my thing."
    was not directed at you....just a general tongue-in-cheek comment.

can you move these posts to the "timepieces thread"?
    (assuming it is not too much trouble)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of those two, the Tudor hands down. It's a much more interesting watch IMO.
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by choke View Post
    Of those two, the Tudor hands down. It's a much more interesting watch IMO.
    In general I agree, but I just can't get over the "snowflake" hour hand. And the sword minute hand is totally "meh."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally would find a NOS '2-liner' Pelagos sitting in an AD. I believe the Sub to be a better watch but I couldn't wear one.
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Musgrave View Post
    I personally would find a NOS '2-liner' Pelagos sitting in an AD. I believe the Sub to be a better watch but I couldn't wear one.
    Because ETA versus in-house movement? Less writing on dial? something else?
    And why no Sub?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    Reasons for the pelagos just to make this a total crossfire episode:

-- first titanium case from Rolex/Tudor
    -- first (I believe) in house Tudor movement with a silicon balance spring that rolex hasn't adopted.
    -- that new Rolex submariner case decided to make the lugs fatty mc fatties for no real reason.
    -- the spring microadjust on the bracelet is better than the glidelock.

Also destro watches are fun, the helium escape valve breaks up the slab side of the case and the fauxtina is subtle to more of a cream look than anything else.

But if you want to make your money back on buying, Rolex is the way to go.
    In the spirit of crossfire, you're wrong! (Well, kinda.)

Rolex has adopted silicon for some models, though not the Sub. The Sub uses Parachrom and I'd say there are pros and cons to each, though either way you're getting quality. I agree the titanium is awesome, as is the "fauxtina," and that the maxi lugs Rolex moved to take some getting used to (I like them, but totally get that not everybody does). But Glidelock is the shit. Totally awesome. The Tudor micro adjust is cool too, but I'm amazed by Glidelock every time I touch it.

Honestly, though, despite both being dive watches, these two are actually pretty different in the "flesh." The best way to decide is to try them both on, see which one you like better, and then buy both.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...The best way to decide is to try them both on, see which one you like better, and then buy both.
    That is the outcome my wife (not me) is trying to avoid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, though, despite both being dive watches, these two are actually pretty different in the "flesh." The best way to decide is to try them both on, see which one you like better, and then buy both.
    This is naturally the best answer. Part with whichever Rolex you're wearing the least for a healthy profit, and buy both.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    ...Part with whichever Rolex you're wearing the least for a healthy profit...
    I think there is a great deal of hype in the Rolex market and individuals are not actually making any money (having talked to several online and especially brick and mortar shops who I have known for many years and trust). Authorized Dealers are making about 40% profit on that initial watch sale but that is nothing new. Some of the Pre-Owned dealers are making money on in-demand watches (Daytona, GMT, Submariner) but they are assuming all the risk holding stock waiting for buyers to pay a premium for watches they cannot get (because they do not have an existing relationship with an AD so at best they will be on a list for several years if they really want the watch and refuse to pay the premium).

Submariner Date
    Retail Cost: $9148.50 = $8550 Retail + $598.50 (7% sales tax - average)
    Pre-owned sell price: $11500.00 = Highest legitimate pre-owned selling price I could find
    Pre-owned buy price: $8625 = 11500.00 * 75% (most online and brick and mortar retailers need at least 25% mark up)
    * Best case is an individual can almost get back the retail price of a Submariner Date assuming it is in like-new condition with box and papers

GMT Master II
    Retail Cost: $9897.50 = $9250 Retail + $647.50 (7% sales tax - average)
    Pre-owned sell price: $17950.00 = Highest legitimate pre-owned selling price I could find
    Pre-owned buy price: $13,462.50 = 17950.00 * 75% (most online and brick and mortar retailers need at least 25% mark up)
    * Best case is an individual might make a few thousand dollars if they get a GMT Master II and immediately flip it but why do that if you actually get one?

I did not bother with the Daytona because most people have a better chance of getting struck by lightning twice than actually getting the opportunity to buy a stainless steel Daytona at retail. It is probably the same for the GMT Master II but I did that option anyway for purposes of explaining the current Rolex market (ATMO).

One could take on all the risk and sell a Submariner to another individual but that has its own problems. Are you going to accept $10,000 (nobody is going to give you $11,500 for it because at least stores come with a guarantee; individual sales do not) via PayPal and eat the $300 PayPal fee? Do you think a buyer is going to wire you $10,000 and assume all the risk?

After doing lots of research and having sold an in-demand 16570 Explorer II Polar earlier this year that I owned for 25 years from new, individuals are not making "healthy profits" on Rolex watches. The exception is if you have a GMT or Daytona from the earliest years that has been in your family since new, is in very good condition, has not been over polished, comes with box and papers, and still runs. Other than that, best case is you might get your money out of an in-demand watch like the Submariner or Explorer II Polar but for other models hope to not take as big a loss as with other brands (Patek excluded from that statement).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rolex has done an excellent job marketing, they are robust but not terrific pieces of horological engineering. For about a third of the price of eg what someone will sell you their place in the queue for a daytona you can get a unique piece from an independent maker, and support Innovation and personal craftsmanship. It is not about money it is about skill and art. Regards.