User Tag List

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: automatic/mechanical watches on a budget.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Seiko

In need of a time piece, been putting it off too long since my seiko chrono got lost in a river this summer. I think I want an automatic diver, likely going on a NATO strap. Seriously considering the Orient Blue Ray, only reservation is that extra button that supposedly only needs to get used once to set the day, then it's just there.

There's the venerable Seiko 007, but since I looked this summer it seems they're less available and more expensive. Those in the know, how important is it to get the one from Japan? There's the Seiko007###K model available that comes from Malaysia or somewhere else, and then the model J1. How much does this matter for function?

Seriously on a budget (thus I posted in this thread not the timepieces thread ;) )

-JZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    In need of a time piece, been putting it off too long since my seiko chrono got lost in a river this summer. I think I want an automatic diver, likely going on a NATO strap. Seriously considering the Orient Blue Ray, only reservation is that extra button that supposedly only needs to get used once to set the day, then it's just there.

There's the venerable Seiko 007, but since I looked this summer it seems they're less available and more expensive. Those in the know, how important is it to get the one from Japan? There's the Seiko007###K model available that comes from Malaysia or somewhere else, and then the model J1. How much does this matter for function?

Seriously on a budget (thus I posted in this thread not the timepieces thread ;) )

-JZ
    I've got the SKX173, the US market version of the 007. Some cosmetic changes but that's about it.

Watch has been a total rock. Beat the crap out of it and it just keeps on going. Does have Made in Malaysia, but I couldn't care less given how reliable its been.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seriously considering the Orient Blue Ray, only reservation is that extra button that supposedly only needs to get used once to set the day, then it's just there.
    I have one and it's dead nuts accurate. Great watch for $125 or so.

The extra button is kind of a pain. Its in a spot where it can loosen up, and then I wind up unintentionally changing the day.

Only complaint.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IIRC, Seiko does a bunch of fab in Singapore. My monster is a Singapore made one. I really don't think it matters much at all where they come from. Thing keeps chugging along. Accurate enough, I reset it when it stops after I don't wear it for a day or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, y'all. I just pulled the trigger on a Seiko Sea Urchin with a coupla NATO straps. I'll let you know how I do. I'll still probably be late everywhere.

I loved the look of the Orient Blue Ray, but I felt too strongly about that button. Re: Seiko, elsewhere, I heard some persuasive arguments that the Malaysia vs. Japan thing absolutely doesn't matter for function.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a Seiko Sea Urchin
    I have to say, I just love the names for all the Seiko divers. Sumo, Tuna, Monster, Pepsi, etc, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: automatic/mechanical watches on a budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Musgrave View Post
    no auto can touch a $9.99 quartz for accuracy.

The love affair is about having a small machine on your wrist that utilizing nothing but springs and gears manages to keep track of time. Guys (and gals) who are into auto's are usually into machine's dot period - lathe's, cars, etc, etc...
    I became obsessed w/ watches when i was 11 yrs old. I would look at watches all day and read. So at 12 or 13 i entered a contest where we would read 5 books and go through a memory test of details. I toook 3rd prize and $500. Spent it all on a Mido automatic.
    Next i became obsessed w/ photo cameras... and that took me to professional photography.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My daily watch is a Breitling, but five years ago I picked up a Seiko 5 Sports Automatic. Keeps good time is made in Japan and for what it costs is an attractive watch as well. The unit I purchased was through a Japanese website Seiya Japan, although I just looked on line and the same model is apparently a couple dollars cheaper now. -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't seen this one posted yet, but I didn't read the entire thread.

Citizen NY0040

Summer Special: Seiko SKX007 vs Citizen NY0040

I bought a skx007 for my son for Christmas, and it is nice.

P6046572-700x400.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never seen that Citizen before, I'll have to add it to my list . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a modded Seiko 5 from Yobokies for a while until my cat knocked it off the bathroom counter. The local estimate for getting it fixed and regulated again came close to the original price I paid, so it's sitting in a drawer. It was a fantastic watch when I was using it regularly.
    My name is Hung | Instagram | Website/portfolio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dig it! The Sea Urchin is just right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was looking for a zombie thread to add this on, maybe my google-fu needs tuning. But, this just in- not a budget watch ATMO but an ATMO watch that's worth budgeting for. I'm seriously tempted

Limited Edition RGM Model 5-GMT-RS "Richard Sachs" Version.. Pre-Orders Available — RGM Watch Co.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Massdrop has some decent prices on stuff like this occasionally.

Available now for $140 :: Massdrop: Community-Driven Commerce

Last edited by dgaddis; 04-10-2019 at 09:29 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZenNMotion View Post
    I was looking for a zombie thread to add this on, maybe my google-fu needs tuning. But, this just in- not a budget watch ATMO but an ATMO watch that's worth budgeting for. I'm seriously tempted

Limited Edition RGM Model 5-GMT-RS "Richard Sachs" Version.. Pre-Orders Available — RGM Watch Co.
    "10 ATMO" hah!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Massdrop has some decent prices on stuff like this occasionally.

Available now for $140 :: Massdrop: Community-Driven Commerce
    JomaShop and Long Island Watch are really good sources for the same/similar price but everyday (No affiliation with either other than my brother has used Joma with great success and I have had good luck with LIW).

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    "10 ATMO" hah!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenNMotion View Post

Go read the "more active" Timepieces thread to learn the backstory and update from ATM to ATMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    JomaShop and Long Island Watch are really good sources for the same/similar price but everyday (No affiliation with either other than my brother has used Joma with great success and I have had good luck with LIW).
    Massdrop pricing sometimes isn't anything special at all, but at least you get to wait a month to get it. But sometimes they do offer great deals.

LIW has a good YouTube channel with good info.

I bought a watch from Joma. A few days later got an e-mail that it was out of stock and would be a few weeks. A few weeks later I got another e-mail saying it would be 2-3 months. I canceled the order at that point.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I received my two Citizen Eco Drive watches today and have them on my wrists just to get used to wearing a watch again after many years of going without. I had to adjust the strap on the left one; it's got that strip that goes under the watch. The watches seemed to want to sit way over on my wrists but it has been literally decades since I wore a watch and then I wore it with the watch on the inside of my wrist.

Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 6.31.59 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2019-05-13 at 6.34.54 PM.png

Solar powered, quartz, leather straps. ~$65-$70 apiece from amazon. The one on the left is 46mm which seems a bit large for my skinny wrists. The one on the right is 40mm which I like better.

I haven't bothered to correct the date; today is the 13 and it's on 16 so I'm guessing I'd have to wind round and round for quite some time to set it correctly. And then have to do it all over again for the next month. doesn't matter, don't care.

Hmm. Both watches are stainless steel so I see I'll have to order something in gold. :-)

The bigger one on the left looks more suitable for daily wear than the other but I'll swap them out so I can figure out which I like better. Got to break in the straps. Right now I've got both of them on; one on each wrist. I don't know which wrist I prefer yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't have to wind it around and around, check the manual. Most likely you pull the crown out just one spot, then you can adjust the date. If you pull it out two spots you're adjusting the time. But just one notch, it keeps on keeping time and you can advance the date. On some of them you can only move the date one direction (forward), but some you can go both directions.

Make sure you have the AM/PM set right. If it moves to the next day at noon, you need to advance/retard it 12hrs.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com