User Tag List

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: automatic/mechanical watches on a budget.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Seiko

Quote Originally Posted by EFHeath View Post
    <http://www.hodinkee.com/interview-meet-dan-spitz-anthrax-guitarist-turned-master-watchmaker>

Might be of interest to people on this thread.
    Saw it. The music is over the top for me (there's a video on one of the links) but I find it interesting that he states that the same characteristics that made hims excel at music (OCD) drove him to become the master WM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just picked this up. The band really was junk, I need to keep my eyes out for a nice looking leather band that does not cost more than the watch.

It looks cool, but I hope I don't have to set the time to often, the crown feels super flimsy. I dig it though.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I posted a while ago about the Maratac Pilot mid-size that I bought, which I had great luck with. A couple of weeks ago I was back on their site and the full-size Pilot was in stock, so I jumped on it. It's definitely a big, burly watch, but it has really grown on me. I ordered a band from Steinhart which should be arriving this week; that should dress it up a bit. Watch keeps great time (as does the mid) so far, and certainly feels pretty solid and durable. Only complaint might be that the crown could be 20% smaller and still fit with the size of the watch. Definitely recommend these for the money. Pics below.1890946448nr.160-büffel.jpgphoto.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody here tried out a Russian watch with the workhorse Poljot 3133 movement? I am strangely drawn to a handwound mechanical chronograph, especially a Russian one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've noticed that my Seiko is losing time over the last few months, not quite sure how much, but it's something like minutes/week. From what I've gathered, it's going to be cheaper to replace than get it serviced.
    it's this model:http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachm...seiko5-2re.jpg

Other than its recent loss of accuracy, it's been fine. I like to plain appearance and relatively small size.

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for budget mechanical watches that are fairly plain and small. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by defspace View Post
    I've noticed that my Seiko is losing time over the last few months, not quite sure how much, but it's something like minutes/week. From what I've gathered, it's going to be cheaper to replace than get it serviced.
    it's this model:http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachm...seiko5-2re.jpg

Other than its recent loss of accuracy, it's been fine. I like to plain appearance and relatively small size.

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for budget mechanical watches that are fairly plain and small. Thanks.
    You will be hard pressed to do better. Servicing the watch would cost $85+. A new one can be had for $70 on Amazon. Seiko does durable/accurate/cheap better than anybody else. If you could use a change of scenery, you may want to take a look at the Orient Blue Mako or the Black Mako if you like the diver look. I just bought my brother a Vostok Amphibia with a new canvas strap for his birthday. $75 full of Russian badassery. Super durable, mechanical, waterproof and quirky as all get out. Look at Meranom.com and look under Amphibia Classic. There are about 100 different models from conservative to garish. Leave a few bucks in your wallet for a new nato strap. The Vostok bracelets are worse than useless.

Please, just don't buy a digital watch. Please.

vostok.jpgThis is what I bought for my brother.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry for the redundancy. It seems xjoex has already discussed the Amphibia above. He is clearly a man of good taste, to put that nato strap on the Vostok.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This little watch absolutely blows me away.

My M.O. is to set date/time on our watches on the first of the month and leave them alone till the first rolls around again. My wife's Seiko SNK805 is the most accurate auto I've EVER seen dot period. I literally have not touched the time in almost 5 months...it's currently running 3 seconds fast. Yep 3 seconds in 5 months. I only paid $50 for that thing but it runs sooooooo well.
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    Anyone who wants this watch on a leather band let me know... I never wear it. This is the definition of auto on a budget, $25 shipped.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    Anyone who wants this watch on a leather band let me know... I never wear it. This is the definition of auto on a budget, $25 shipped.

-Joe
    send it to me. I'll get a strap just like that one if you tell me where to get one, no need for the leather band.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    send it to me. I'll get a strap just like that one if you tell me where to get one, no need for the leather band.
    It's yours! Send me an email joe at soulrun d0t c0m.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a watch I got a few years ago when my Seamaster went out for a freshen up.
    I got this from ebay and is a modified Seiko "SEIKO NEO MONSTER 330Ft AUTO SUBMARINER DIVER WATCH" <<< that is how to find it on ebay. The price was something like $180 which is astounding considering it runs really accurately and as all things Japanese is a little better than it should be! Oh, it's day date to boot.

9630529332_ac74e7fba1_c.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

seiko represents an almost unbelievable value for automatic watches. nice watches that just run and run; and you dont have to think twice about damage/theft.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for uber cheap auto watches: anyone have any experience with "redline" brand of watches?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm looking for a basic mechanical pilot watch. I prefer a manual (wind up) with NO date but can also do an automatic. Looking for something I can wear and beat around a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is a gorgeous watch. Is that a modification that can be made to an older watch? I have an orange monster that could use a tune up.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    This is a watch I got a few years ago when my Seamaster went out for a freshen up.
    I got this from ebay and is a modified Seiko "SEIKO NEO MONSTER 330Ft AUTO SUBMARINER DIVER WATCH" <<< that is how to find it on ebay. The price was something like $180 which is astounding considering it runs really accurately and as all things Japanese is a little better than it should be! Oh, it's day date to boot.

9630529332_ac74e7fba1_c.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes you should be able to fit that dial in any monster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    seiko represents an almost unbelievable value for automatic watches. nice watches that just run and run; and you dont have to think twice about damage/theft.
    Agreed, there's not another watch in the world that offers the value/cost ratio of a Seiko SKX imho.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gary_a_gooner View Post
    I'm looking for a basic mechanical pilot watch. I prefer a manual (wind up) with NO date but can also do an automatic. Looking for something I can wear and beat around a bit.
    I don't know what you're wanting to spend, but you might take a look at DR Custom Watch. His pilot watches are 44 and 46mm though.
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    That is a gorgeous watch. Is that a modification that can be made to an older watch? I have an orange monster that could use a tune up.
    What Jason said. HAHA It is just so right that it's a Seiko. Keeps ridiculously good time, looks great and is rugged as heck. I think you can buy one on ebay for less than cost of getting the modifications done.