User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feedback prior to torch purchase?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Feedback prior to torch purchase?

Hi guys,

Hope this the correct space, I am looking to learn frame building and planning to start on lugged frame.

There is a cobra dhc 2000 torch set locally with I think a good price, will this be adequate for frame building?

Cheers,

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dave- I'm no expert with various torches but as I read a description of that torch it seems to me that it's not really designed for the low temp work that we do on our thin wall brazing. Besides the flame aspects , which I really don't know much about, I'll say that the pistol grip is not what most find "handy" (bad pun) and seems kind of bulky. Also it seems that the tip end isn't too far from where your hand will be. Last question I would have is the availability of different tips. Not knowing the included tips, and their resulting flame sizes, I cant speak with any assumptions, but with the more typical torch and tip designs we use the tip orifice diameters tend to range from .025" to ,060" with .040" to .050" being my most common diameters I use. The price I saw (just over $400 in the search result I pulled up) seemed to be a lot. I hope the one you are considering is a lot less. Andy
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dave,

What torch handle and tips are best for frame building has had a lot of subject threads over the years. To summarize most beginners prefer a light "aircraft" style like the Smith AW1A or Victor J-28 or Unweld 71 combined with a lighter hose. The Meco Midget with its box shaped body is another torch handle candidate that gets a stronger like or dislike than ones with round handles. In other words some love them and others don't. Pros can get outstanding results with almost anything because of their greater skills. Brazing requires subtle and quick hand motions so something light with hoses that don't restrict hand motions can help learners get better results.

For my frame building classes (I've been teaching them since the 70's) I have all four of those torch handles available for students to try out and see which one they prefer. This and many many other questions are answered in a class.

While pros have traditionally used oxyacetylene as fuel, amateurs have found that propane is more convenient to buy, easier to get for use in a non-industrial setting and much cheaper. An oxygen concentrator provides an almost endless and safer supply of oxygen. You can find more information about this in other subject threads in this forum.

Doug Fattic
    Niles, Michigan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Erik gave me the best advice ever some years ago...Smith A1A with Kevlar hoses. Tips 001, 003, 005...Changed my world.

Thanks Erik
    Hale Sramek
    halekai machine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12