Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "You Have My Attention"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: "You Have My Attention"

A blind man visits the world's largest rattlesnake round-up to hear the sound of a stadium full of rattle snakes its 1-ton collection pen.

Consider my perspective. A noise illuminates a specific thing in a specific place. The dishwasher door slams and, in slamming, defines what’s out there and where it is. The effect is like a glance. Or let’s say a kid rings a bicycle bell. Now I know there’s a bike, and the fading ring traces its path, giving a hint of depth and dynamic to my two-dimensional blur. Other sounds are more environmental, less precise. The irrelevant buzz of electronics in an office. The panoramic thrum of distant vehicles. These don’t conjure images in the mind, not so much, and they certainly don’t locate things in the world very well. But their noise is out there, as generic and unfocused as “cars” or “traffic.” Call it color.

With the exception of music, sounds share one chronically frustrating quality. For me, they just refer. That’s their cognitive nature in my body. They point, name, and gesture to the unseen. They are as substantial, or unsubstantial, as a word.

But these rattles had more...

The Twitch | VICE
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is fucking heartbreaking:

BB Cunningham, touring musician with Jerry Lee Lewis, died of gunshot wounds doing his "other job," working as a security guard.

Washington Post
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of which: Motorhead's Lemmy Unveils 'Anti-Beats' Headphones at CES | Music News | Rolling Stone

"People say we've never sold out," joked Lemmy during the launch. "No one ever approached us."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking about making popcorn and snuggling up with the live feed: Same-sex marriage almost a reality in Minnesota | Minnesota Public Radio News

Feeling pretty proud of my state right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Thinking about making popcorn and snuggling up with the live feed: Same-sex marriage almost a reality in Minnesota | Minnesota Public Radio News

Feeling pretty proud of my state right now.
    I saw that the mayor was going to do that. Just great.

MN, welcome to the club. Who's next?
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    I saw that the mayor was going to do that. Just great.

MN, welcome to the club. Who's next?
    Guarantee you it won't be VA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Britishbane View Post
    Guarantee you it won't be VA.
    I think IL is tee'ing it up. This article is accurate for the next hour: Same-sex marriage law in the United States by state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since the accident, I've been pulled back toward music in a big way. I had a Hop Hop phase, a New Wave of British Heavy Metal phase, even a non-ironic Grateful Dead moment or two.

I'm going back through my hospital stream-of-consciousness playlist. A mix of things on Spotify that I wanted available in offline mode that proved to be pretty useless because I didn't really ever want to hear these songs more than once. Its all in there; bad bad stuff in there. Hey, I was on drugs.

Two things I noticed:
    -Dennis Wilson's Pacific Ocean Blues > Robert Palmer's Sneaking Sally Through the Alley > Little Feat's Two Trains. Go ahead and try it.
    -Elvis to Neil Diamond is a pretty obvious leap. It was the snare drum that gave it away. Ron Tutt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Playlist Highlights:
    -Terry Reid's version of Stay With Me Baby, Curtis Mayfield's (Don't Worry) If There's a Hell Below, We're All Going to Go, pre-suck Aerosmith's Nobody's Fault.
    -Johnny Cash>Soundgarden because it worked.

The full playlist? You'll never get it out of me.

Oof.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Richie Hayward is good medicine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    Richie Hayward is good medicine.
    Probably the third-funkiest human behind Clyde Stubblefield and Zig.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    Since the accident, I've been pulled back toward music in a big way. I had a Hop Hop phase, a New Wave of British Heavy Metal phase, even a non-ironic Grateful Dead moment or two.

I'm going back through my hospital stream-of-consciousness playlist. A mix of things on Spotify that I wanted available in offline mode that proved to be pretty useless because I didn't really ever want to hear these songs more than once. Its all in there; bad bad stuff in there. Hey, I was on drugs.

Two things I noticed:
    -Dennis Wilson's Pacific Ocean Blues > Robert Palmer's Sneaking Sally Through the Alley > Little Feat's Two Trains. Go ahead and try it.
    -Elvis to Neil Diamond is a pretty obvious leap. It was the snare drum that gave it away. Ron Tutt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Playlist Highlights:
    -Terry Reid's version of Stay With Me Baby, Curtis Mayfield's (Don't Worry) If There's a Hell Below, We're All Going to Go, pre-suck Aerosmith's Nobody's Fault.
    -Johnny Cash>Soundgarden because it worked.

The full playlist? You'll never get it out of me.

Oof.
    the snare that starts "memphis streets", i presume? or something else? soolaimon, which of course is his tusk?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After feeling a little compelled to pay attention to the Reza-Aslan-on-Fox-News-Circus yesterday (just because we're in a somewhat similar line of work) and being generally dismayed, I was so happy to come across Gary Gutting's fun and rigorous little piece on Zeus in The Times today.

This two day sequence might just be evidence of a god (or gods).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marcelia View Post
    the snare that starts "memphis streets", i presume? or something else? soolaimon, which of course is his tusk?
    Polk Salad Annie or maybe it was Little Sister > Solitary Man
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pope Francis, I'm not a Catholic, but you have my attention: Evangelii Gaudium, Apostolic Exhortation of Pope Francis, 2013

No to an economy of exclusion

53. Just as the commandment “Thou shalt not kill” sets a clear limit in order to safeguard the value of human life, today we also have to say “thou shalt not” to an economy of exclusion and inequality. Such an economy kills. How can it be that it is not a news item when an elderly homeless person dies of exposure, but it is news when the stock market loses two points? This is a case of exclusion. Can we continue to stand by when food is thrown away while people are starving? This is a case of inequality. Today everything comes under the laws of competition and the survival of the fittest, where the powerful feed upon the powerless. As a consequence, masses of people find themselves excluded and marginalized: without work, without possibilities, without any means of escape.

Human beings are themselves considered consumer goods to be used and then discarded. We have created a “disposable” culture which is now spreading. It is no longer simply about exploitation and oppression, but something new. Exclusion ultimately has to do with what it means to be a part of the society in which we live; those excluded are no longer society’s underside or its fringes or its disenfranchised – they are no longer even a part of it. The excluded are not the “exploited” but the outcast, the “leftovers”.

54. In this context, some people continue to defend trickle-down theories which assume that economic growth, encouraged by a free market, will inevitably succeed in bringing about greater justice and inclusiveness in the world. This opinion, which has never been confirmed by the facts, expresses a crude and naïve trust in the goodness of those wielding economic power and in the sacralized workings of the prevailing economic system. Meanwhile, the excluded are still waiting. To sustain a lifestyle which excludes others, or to sustain enthusiasm for that selfish ideal, a globalization of indifference has developed. Almost without being aware of it, we end up being incapable of feeling compassion at the outcry of the poor, weeping for other people’s pain, and feeling a need to help them, as though all this were someone else’s responsibility and not our own. The culture of prosperity deadens us; we are thrilled if the market offers us something new to purchase; and in the meantime all those lives stunted for lack of opportunity seem a mere spectacle; they fail to move us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm no catholic...not religious either...but this pope speaks to me. A well crafted argument that should (but won't) make many people uncomfortable.

Can we vote for a pope as president? Cause this is the shit I wanted Obama to say. Shoot, I think this is what Obama used to sound like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mjbabcock View Post
    I'm no catholic...not religious either...but this pope speaks to me. A well crafted argument that should (but won't) make many people uncomfortable.

Can we vote for a pope as president? Cause this is the shit I wanted Obama to say. Shoot, I think this is what Obama used to sound like.
    Yeah, this got my attention too: "The Reuters report noted that there are limits to the new pope’s progressivism; he believes, for instance, that the ban on women priests should remain in place."

How religious people run their theme parks is only a subject I study professionally, so I have no opinions in public but do note that there's always a catch: someone some where will get shafted because their god wants it that way. Don't mistake me, that the current Pope has infuriated the Right wingers and made Ross Douthat lecture the pontiff about capitalism and what it really means to be Catholic is amusing enough. When Limbaugh and Palin get involved the popcorn bucket goes to horse feeder.
    Qui plume a, guerre a. Ce monde est un vaste temple dédié à la discorde.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast