Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Full Time

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Full Time

Note: This thread is a spin off of another thread.

My dad, like my grandpa before him, was a small businessman. One issue he always stressed to me was that there was more to managing the books in a business than being able to draw a paycheck. He insisted that a going business always had good insurance (both on business assets and on the owner), that taxes always be paid honestly and on time, and that equipment always be maintained rather than run into the ground. He also insisted that a sound business model would allow the owner to save, both for lean years and for retirement.

Sometimes there would be a young guy wanting to get into the business, and my dad would invite him over for coffee. My dad would open his books and explain exactly the numbers necessary to make a go of it. Usually the figure my dad quoted was several times what the new guy had in mind. And, my dad always stressed that he owned his equipment outright, and making payments on equipment would sink his business model.

Sometimes the new guy would take the lesson to heart and move on. More often than not, though, he wouldn't. He'd try to make a go of it anyways because he thought his "passion" would overcome the financial facts. The best outcome in this case was that the new guy hold on a few years until a downturn when he'd declare bankruptcy and the bank would auction his equipment. More commonly, though, when things got bad the new guy would start cutting corners. Then the IRS would come looking for back taxes, or Immigration would come and haul away the crew of undocumented workers he was paying in cash. Not a single one of these guys succeeded; there hasn't been a successful new startup in the area since World War II. The numbers do not work.

My dad's diagnosis was always the same, "These hippies don't understand that running a business is about making money to provide for your family and contribute to your community. It's not about self actualization. It's about being there for the long haul - paying for a house, putting your kids through college; that stuff."

My dad had a very particular and high standard for what it meant to be a small businessman and work "full time" that very few people today would share. He tied professionalism directly to financial results and longevity.

In another thread, the issue of what it means to be a full time framebuilder has come up, but I don't want to limit this discussion to framebuilding. In that discussion several people wanted to decouple the idea of being "full time" from the idea of a standalone business sustainable through thick and thin.

The more I watch economic chaos ensue, the more I'm convinced that it's worth insisting on a standard for full time work. I think my dad's definition wasn't far from the mark: being full time means you make a living wage, it means you have enough to save for the lean years, that you're insured both personally and professionally, that you can own a home and send your kids to college.

Today that standard is starting to become such a reach for so many that it's almost pie in the sky. The economy is doing its damndest to do away with careers and replace them with piecework, temp work, and gigs. While that might be efficient for the macro economy, it's no way for people to live. It's an understandable response to want to retreat from that system of exploitation by starting a small business that feeds one's soul. The trouble is that sometimes the effort to escape comes at the cost of my dad's old idea - that full time work ought to bring full time rewards - as marginal business models try to hang on.

None of what I've written should be taken as an effort to belittle hobby operations or call people out as somehow lesser. Rather, it's just an effort to defend an apparently dying idea of what it means to be a grown up who has a full time job. I think keeping sight of it and insisting on it as a standard rather than an exception could be valuable in fighting the erosion of wages and benefits, both for small business owners and for employees. Perhaps I'm wrong, though. If so, please make the case for why it's a bad idea to tie the idea of full time work to financial results - I'm all ears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Full Time

fundamentally caleb i agree with your father and gfather.
    the financial return i have always viewed as a report card on how i ran my ( 2 ) small businesses.

it has always been important to me to provide reasonably well for my family and thankfully i have been able to figure out a way to get it done.
    i think if i was 25 now it would be very, very difficult to manage...
    but, as i think about it, it was difficult then also...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think your father and grandfather have the right idea on how to sustain a business. Not sure it necessarily works for starting a business due to the typical reality of limited initial capital.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    fundamentally caleb i agree with your father and gfather.
    the financial return i have always viewed as a report card on how i ran my ( 2 ) small businesses.

it has always been important to me to provide reasonably well for my family and thankfully i have been able to figure out a way to get it done.
    i think if i was 25 now it would be very, very difficult to manage...
    but, as i think about it, it was difficult then also...
    I entirely agree that today it would be really tough. Both of my brothers and I walked away from it when it was still very healthy because we saw the writing on the wall as margins grew ever thinner due to rising materials costs and increased competition. In retrospect I realize the only reason the business was successful was that my grandpa got it going during a period of high growth before any global competition set in. Absent that window of opportunity he never would have made it.

My brothers and I all left the volatility and risk of the small business for a steady paycheck and structured benefits. I don't think any of us regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by EDS View Post
    I think your father and grandfather have the right idea on how to sustain a business. Not sure it necessarily works for starting a business due to the typical reality of limited initial capital.
    The only business model I would even consider today would be one based on a highly differentiated product where that differentiation would insulate you a bit from the general market. I wouldn't touch a simple commodity unless I had some sort of ace up my sleeve. If I had either an ace or a great product with solid numbers I'd go looking for investors to make it happen. If they wouldn't get on board I'd take that as a sign.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't care one way or the other. Plenty of 2nd-jobbers putting out high quality work. And plenty of "full timers" putting out bullshit on the reg.

I understand the thought process of the OP, but the times, they are a changin'. It just the state of small business today. Bikes are just a widget. Very few people can put out moderately priced, hand/american-made widgets and still keep the lights on.

The shop hours are not the bike. The bike is the bike.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think many small business survive and thrive because they bought real estate 40-50-60 years ago.

its simple really... a $1m building now was $30k 50 yrs ago.
    very difficult to make the same business pay if you are paying market value for property ( if not impossible )

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice first post. The people that run the Pennsylvania Small Business Development Centers try to get prospective small businessmen to do this for themselves. Of course, nobody involved in that process has any idea what sales will be like, so it's easy to cheat on the income side. But at least you'll find out if you have to sell 1000 frames to make enough for a cup of coffee.

I don't really think it matters if someone is full time at framebuilding or not. I respect the people that do make it full time, no doubt about that. I have a hard time envying them though. It's not an easy life.