Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wedding Attire Advice

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wedding Attire Advice

Last minute request for advice here, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

Tonight I am attending the wedding of a college friend in Boston. The ceremony, cocktail hour and reception are all at the hotel and the night begins at 6pm. My standard black suit is hanging ready to go this afternoon, however I was wondering if it was acceptable to do more. The invitation does not make reference to being "formal" or "black tie". For my own wedding 3 years ago I purchased a tuxedo (and thankfully it still fits). Taking into account the time the wedding starts and the location (a nice hotel in downtown Boston), would it be acceptable for me to wear my tuxedo with a different-colored French-cuffed shirt? My wife is not attending due to work, so having her coordinate is not a factor.

Side note: Is it ever acceptable to wear a tuxedo with a non-white shirt?

Thank you in advance for a serious response!

Tony
    Anthony Maietta
    Web Site | Blog | Flickr
    "The person who says it can not be done, should not interrupt the person doing it."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Wedding Attire Advice

There are those who can pull off a non-traditional tux. I don't know any of these people personally.

Err on the side of caution. You don't want to draw attention away from the bride and groom. Wear the tux with a white shirt or wear the suit however you'd like.

As an aside, most people don't wear tuxedos to weddings anymore unless its black tie or they are in the wedding party. If the groomsmen aren't wearing some color to match the bridesmaids, and you're in a tux, you've just unintentionally inserted yourself into the wedding party. Not your fault, just a byproduct of people dressing down these days. If you want to wear the tux, its probably best to ask someone in the know if the groomsmen are wearing black or some other color.

Most importantly, though, just have fun and don't get too drunk.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Chase, and generally follow the rule that, unless an invitation for a wedding notes that the event is formal or black tie, I would wear a suit.

Your question reminds me of a funny event that occurred way back when I was in law school. Early one evening a friend and I were walking across campus and our con law professor was walking in our direction, dressed in a tuxedo. This professor was the classic absent-minded professor—he was usually dressed in a frumpy manner, so it was a bit of a surprise to see him well groomed and in formal attire. As we approached each other we stopped and my friend asked, "Why the tux?" Our professor got this startled, concerned look, paused, and then exclaimed, "What, it's after six, isn't it?" He then checked his watch and a look of relief came over his face, and he just continued walking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
    "What, it's after six, isn't it?"
    Classic reply.

Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
    I Early one evening a friend and I were walking across campus and our con law professor was walking in our direction, dressed in a tuxedo. This professor was the classic absent-minded professor—he was usually dressed in a frumpy manner, so it was a bit of a surprise to see him well groomed and in formal attire.
    Not wedding related, but another one of these types of stories. I don't think many people would describe the dean of my law school as "well dressed." Possibly homeless, yes, but not well dressed (despite making around $300K a year). I went to an event that was being put on by one of our journals. Surprisingly, he was wearing a decent looking suit and looking decidedly less homeless than usual. I was impressed. Then he went to leave, and put his survival vest over his suit, because he is the kind of guy that has a survival vest he wears constantly. Over his suit, in 90 degree weather. You know, just in case he gets into a life or death situation on his Metro ride home.

In summation, law profs are weird.