Likes Likes:  0

Thread: This if life

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default This if life

passed this tree on today's ride, the size of this tree is truly impressive!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: This if life

Cool tree. Glad you found this sub-forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Dyer View Post
    Cool tree. Glad you found this sub-forum.
    atmo - I think sub-forums are a bad idea, obscure and hard to find! This should be a top level forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by metanoize View Post
    atmo - I think sub-forums are a bad idea, obscure and hard to find! This should be a top level forum.
    *Try clicking "what's new".

That is a beast. I've actually TRIED to get two diff. local trees entered into the state record books. Both were "close but no cigar" according to the rules. There are three Dawn Redwoods in my neighborhood all within 2 blocks so a few yrs. ago I planted one also in hopes there will be some cross pollination. In about 100 yrs. those trees will dominate the sightline....very fast growing and nobody really knows how big they will get in N.America since they arrived from China in the 40's (??)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too Tall -

That Dawn Redwood reference led me to some fascinating Google reading. Thanks for that. Now I want to plant one in the tiny backyard of my townhouse, as sort of a practical joke with a 100-year lead time.

On a related note, I've been meaning to start a blog called "Bad NPS Arborist." I ride the Mt. Vernon trail to work, which runs along the GW Parkway next to the Potomac River. It is (mis)managed by the National Park Service. In the last five years they have cut down at least ten MASSIVE oaks in the park, trees that could have been saved. We are talking stumps with a 5 to 8 foot diameter. It looks like they have a low-bid contractor that takes care of the arborist work. They do plant seedlings for future growth, but then they forget to water them and they turn into dry vertical sticks.

As I rode in this morning, I saw them in a cherry picker with a chainsaw next to another beautiful tree. I thought they were just trimming dead limbs, but then the worker kept moving on up the live green limb, sectioning it up and dropping it below. I expect to find a new stump on the way home.

Other than kids and animals, no abuse makes me more angry than the abuse of a beautiful tree.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billrick View Post
    Too Tall -

That Dawn Redwood reference led me to some fascinating Google reading. Thanks for that. Now I want to plant one in the tiny backyard of my townhouse, as sort of a practical joke with a 100-year lead time.

On a related note, I've been meaning to start a blog called "Bad NPS Arborist." I ride the Mt. Vernon trail to work, which runs along the GW Parkway next to the Potomac River. It is (mis)managed by the National Park Service. In the last five years they have cut down at least ten MASSIVE oaks in the park, trees that could have been saved. We are talking stumps with a 5 to 8 foot diameter. It looks like they have a low-bid contractor that takes care of the arborist work. They do plant seedlings for future growth, but then they forget to water them and they turn into dry vertical sticks.

As I rode in this morning, I saw them in a cherry picker with a chainsaw next to another beautiful tree. I thought they were just trimming dead limbs, but then the worker kept moving on up the live green limb, sectioning it up and dropping it below. I expect to find a new stump on the way home.

Other than kids and animals, no abuse makes me more angry than the abuse of a beautiful tree.

Take an road trip to nearby Washington Grove to reinvigorate your soul. That is an community that lives with their trees. Very impressive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Google "Hurricane Elvis." 100mph wind gusts came through a city that is pancake flat.

The whole city looked like this:

I had no power for 14 days in a heatwave.

Wired two fans to a car battery and taped it to a cooler pointed straight at the pup's crate. Ah, life.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright