Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbon fiber skateboard

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Carbon fiber skateboard

Here's a skateboard I made while babysitting a postcure.

Why don't they make these for everyone?

That's why. The magic disappearing board! Any grinding at all and you're through to the core.

It's crazy light though, been run over by a car and easy to kickflip.

Andy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Carbon fiber skateboard

Dude, that's really cool. I remember way back when (for me at least), late 80s and P&P had their Bonite boards that were supposedly the new thing. Skates on Haight steered me away from that (said they were breaking a lot of them) and into an older McGill board. Good times.

FCTi

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That board looks great. Awesome side project.
    I remember Bonite, that fad spread through our group pretty quick. 5 or 6 of my friends and I got them, and and I think 3 of them broke or started to de-laminate.
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

picture disappear?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes the close up pic on the tail didn't show up. Ha ha.....grumble. I guess I should start previewing my posts.

You can tell what's going on just looking at the tail though. The tan material is A500 core. That we can see it at all indicates that the carbon has been ground or "burned" through. If one were to do a long grind on concrete the carbon between the trucks would grind through and then the board would be completely compromised. This was not considered when I did the build. They had a mold, we had some scrap to play with, my 6 year old needed a birthday present....

Andy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just watched the legends pool jam. Lance Mountain, Chris Miller, Cab, Tony Magnusson, man i miss skateboarding. Those dudes are are 45 and still ripping. I fell 2 years ago in a pool and am still recovering. Show a pic of the board if you can.. always interested

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where did the picture go?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks good!

Grinds might not be the best place for carbon, but there are still good skate applications:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey, re-post that picture! would like to see it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Huh- that one seems to have disappeared. It was a foam core/ CF Roe slalom board:

I have a Comet with a bamboo core and CF skins, as well as a few wood/ glass decks (some I made, so I didn't). It's been a while- I should probably crack out the cones again at some point.
    Last edited by Eric Estlund; 09-07-2011 at 12:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wiggler.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone here purchase one of those Powell (or other) re-issue boards that are out there these days?

As mentioned above, I had a McGill deck (w/Tracker ultralights, etc) back in the mid to late 80s and of course it's gone now. Really itching to build myself one of those re-issues and mess around with it. Looks like I can get going for $150 or so.

I see the Tracker Sixtracks are still available, with some sort of carbon graphite baseplate. Any good? Not sure if truck technology has advanced much since the late 80s/early 90s.

Should we start a skateboarding thread?

FCTi

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trackers suck.

Trucks since the 80s: sand casting has made things much lighter because they can make hallow hangers. Decks have had different mounting holes since the mid-90s and Indys (since stage 9 - early 2000's) only have the new mounting holes on their baseplates.

Bushings are much better now too.

Put together a re-issue. You'll be happy crushing to the liquor store and skating curbs on it. Or carving below coping at your local park in full pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to interrupt, but where is the lugged steel skateboard thread?
    There is water at the bottom of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PJN View Post
    Trackers suck.

Trucks since the 80s: sand casting has made things much lighter because they can make hallow hangers. Decks have had different mounting holes since the mid-90s and Indys (since stage 9 - early 2000's) only have the new mounting holes on their baseplates.

Bushings are much better now too.

Put together a re-issue. You'll be happy crushing to the liquor store and skating curbs on it. Or carving below coping at your local park in full pads.
    Good info - thanks. Do all of the old shape re-issues use the old mounting pattern or the new one? I don't see mounting pattern mentioned anywhere on Powell's site for example.

McGill Skull & Snake « Decks « Fall 2011 « Products « Powell-Peralta

Not looking to get gnarly in a pool or anything - just cruise around the neighborhood, have fun with the kids, and re-live some good old times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a Gorden & Smith fibreflex kicktail with Independents and Powerflex wheels. I can't even believe I can remember that. That was over 30 years ago. I am always glad to see people still skating on whatever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I had a Gorden & Smith fibreflex kicktail with Independents and Powerflex wheels. I can't even believe I can remember that. That was over 30 years ago. I am always glad to see people still skating on whatever.
    Ah yes- the fiberflex! My first board. Laser truck and clear red yo-yo wheels. Opened up a whole new world. I still remember pulling out the blue fiberglass splinters after each session.

I'd love to find an old one, just to hang on the wall.

RE: replicas/ re-issues. they are much better quality than the originals and most if not all use the new bolt pattern. Rumor is that ACE truck company is made from the blanks of the old Independents. I have a set on my cruiser and they turn in great and have that older look. Wheels wise there are a bunch of softer compounds available OJ2's and Powell have some nice ones. Pair those softies with some nice bearings and you'll have a smile ear to ear guaranteed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reissues have the new hole pattern. Roll down to your local skateshop. They'll get you all set up and answer all your questions. Same deal as your local bike shop - hurting from the internet - they'll appreciate the business. Also, most shops carry bigger boards (with square tails even) these days. They might not have any Powells in stock but they will definitely have a old-school/crusier shaped board that will meet your needs.

If you find something NOS you'd need some trucks with the old mounting patter.

Speaking of a skateboarding thread did anyone see Justin's new mini-ramp photo on his tumblr? Kinda bummed it was built from a kit and not DIY/fucked up but awesome he's dedicating the space to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PJN View Post
    The reissues have the new hole pattern. Roll down to your local skateshop. They'll get you all set up and answer all your questions. Same deal as your local bike shop - hurting from the internet - they'll appreciate the business. Also, most shops carry bigger boards (with square tails even) these days. They might not have any Powells in stock but they will definitely have a old-school/crusier shaped board that will meet your needs.
    Yeah, I was thinking of the same thing. Their website only shows the new fangled skinny boards, but perhaps there a skateboarding version of QBP and they can get me rollin' with a retro board. And maybe a mini for my 5yr old daughter so she can shred.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whats your AZ connection? I see the flag on the skateboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast