Thread: Weekend bags.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Weekend bags.

A good weekend bag says so much.

You're going places. You're getting a well deserved break. You travel light. You're a man, and men don't carry backpacks.

Invest a couple hundred bucks in a decent one; leather or waxed canvas. It'll look better the more it gets used.

But finding an excuse to use it is its own reward.

Even if you're just stopping by her place one last time to pick up your shit.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Weekend bags.

I like waxed canvas weekenders...they're classics and age very well.
    Ballistic nylon also looks sleek and businesslike.
    Ensure sufficient pockets for organization...yet not so much things get lost.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably not the most stylish, but my weekend/flight bag is a medium North Face base camp duffle. I just got back from a weekend in DC with it. I think it's the perfect carry-on bag; it's soft sides let it conform to the carry-on bins easily, it's waterproof, and pretty much indestructible. Plus you can carry it by handles, use a shoulder strap, or even wear it like a backpack.

But I do admit a waxed Filson bag is a handsome bit of gear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like my Zipp bag. It has a zippered lower compartment for wet stuff. It says, "I just raced my bike, and likely smell. Approach at your own risk. I am going places that you would probably not care about, and ride a bicycle that costs about as much as your timepiece. And yes, my legs are shaved. Good day."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    You're a man, and men don't carry backpacks.
    I'm a fan of a beautifully aged leather duffel or satchel. They're stylish and timeless. But I disagree with the idea that "men don't carry backpacks." You cannot find a more functional piece of luggage, especially if you're moving quickly or need your hands free.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BestDeathEver View Post
    But I disagree with the idea that "men don't carry backpacks." You cannot find a more functional piece of luggage, especially if you're moving quickly or need your hands free.
    Most of us aren't usually running from airport security.

Eagerly awaiting the arrival of your backpack. It'll look good on my living room floor, next to my couch- ahem- your bed for the weekend.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    You're going places. You're getting a well deserved break. You travel light. You're a man, and men don't carry backpacks.
    Josh Lyman carries a backpack. Josh Lyman is a man.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would love a nice dapper bag, but with the years of sports playing, coaching, and the slick baileyworks/IF bags they all seem to work.

I would love a nice leather messenger for work though. Something Indiana Jones style.

Chase can we talk about wallets next?

I have a decade oild Jack Spade canvas??? one that I would love to find something else or are wallets less about wardrobe and more about what fits your ass.
    Dave Bradley...not the grumpy old Hogwarts caretaker "Mr. Filch" or the star of American Ninja 3 and 4.

formerly "Mr.President"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

never been happier than with my patagonia mlc (maximum legal carry on). backpack, shoulder bag, briefcase. does it all, fits a week's worth of work travel gear or a weekend worth's of activity gear. never a problem carrying it on the plane, stuffing it in a tight overhead bin, putting it on my back for the 3 story escalator ride, or the last minute rush to the connecting gate. you guys (and my father in law) can have your stuffy wax duffles.

btw, is swoop back?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot View Post
    is swoop back?
    who's swoop?

anyway, i cannot believe that after 10 posts there is only 1 photo of a weekend bag in this thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.President View Post
    I would love a nice leather messenger for work though. Something Indiana Jones style.
    That's actually something I've been after, as well. I think we should divert this thread to leather messengers. Starting with, of course:

I've got 2 custom RELoads that I love. But would like something a little less casual.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the good stuff.

Bags | BILLYKIRK

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use a Filson 243 for week-long business travel, but for weekend trips, I think "Louis Vuitton Keepall 50 in Damier Graphite Canvas." I don't like the Monogram luggage, but the Keepall is to LV what the Team SC was to Merckx. Pre-carbon wrapped stays, of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot View Post
    never been happier than with my patagonia mlc (maximum legal carry on). backpack, shoulder bag, briefcase. does it all, fits a week's worth of work travel gear or a weekend worth's of activity gear. never a problem carrying it on the plane, stuffing it in a tight overhead bin, putting it on my back for the 3 story escalator ride, or the last minute rush to the connecting gate. you guys (and my father in law) can have your stuffy wax duffles.

btw, is swoop back?
    I agre on the MLC. Mine is over 10 years old and still rocking. Stores small too which is important for an apartment dweller like me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garro sent me an Messenger Bag a pal of his makes and it is too nice for me to defile with daily use. It features removable inside "units" and it's just REALLY nice. I wish Steve (hint) would link to his pals website or get the word out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I would love some suggestions here, too! I had been eyeing a waxed cotton and leather bag from Zugsterbags, but he doesn't seem to be making them anymore. Nice stuff, see here: All Waxed Canvas - a set on Flickr and I specifically like this piece: Zugster custom leather and waxwear walkabout | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

More recently, this company Philosophy Bag Co. popped up in Portland, so I will look into those, too.

Any other suggestions for a leather trimmed, waxed cotton messenger bag would be great. Love something that works well on the bike (and as a carry-on) and will look good carrying Wabi jerseys to potential retailers.

Harth
    Wabi Woolens - Quality Wool Cycling Jerseys

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every other bag I own, save for my Chrome Metropolis that I've used almost daily for approx. the past eight years, has taken a backseat to my Velocipede edition Baileyworks Whalemouth in size medium. That includes my overhead-sized wheelie bag, my duffel, everything. It's all I really use anymore.

I've taken it to the beach. I've taken it skiing. I've taken it to 'cross races. I've flown with it as a weekend bag. It was the only bag I took it to my college reunions last weekend. It's the perfect size for a two-to-three day trip. Shoes go on the bottom, two stacks of clothes side-by-side on top of that, lay an Eagle Creek folder on top, and I'm good to go. Side pockets for water bottles, sandals, or riding lights.

It might not be leather, or waxed canvas, but it's uber-practical, made of ballistic nylon Cordura (by good folks in New Hampshire), it's simple, it's classy, it works, and I'm not just saying that because I love Gary.

BTW, I purchased my Washington Express logo-adorned Chrome for the price of a shot of Yaeger and two Bud Heavies at Lucky Bar in DC. One of the best investments I've ever made.

All that being said, that Duluth posted by Caleb above - Pippa.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mountainsmith duffel bag and/or Bailey Works Super Pro get me thru any weekend.

Doesn't need to be sartorially cutting-edge, just needs to hold all my sh1t, then survive a spray from the hose when I get back.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anything by Ghurka gets me all hot and bothered.

Ghurka Fine Leather Luggage and Handbags - [AuthenSite™]

But i love my BW Whalemouth and my Duluth Pack Wanderer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast