User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Manual expresso machines....thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Manual espresso machines....thoughts?

So, over the last 6 months I have turned into a coffee snob. I didn't want to be one. I fought it for a long time...but alas, I have been entrapped.

In fact, it all started when one of our very own, EddieBirdsell, came by for a little fun ride. We grabbed some coffee at a local shop (Peregrine's Espresso for the DC'ers), and it kinda got in my head. Seriously, I was indifferent before that cotdamed latte. Now, between the delicious taste, intoxicating caffeine, and copious positive reenforcement by the GF…I am damned coffee snob and/or addict.

So, I am currently using the Bialetti Moka using specifically-cut beans from our local coffee shop. The Moke as a tri-chambered stove top coffee pot that pushes the boiled water through a vessel containing the grounds into the top chamber. Its an old Italian design that I hear Euro’s have been using for ages, but is now starting to get traction here in the U.S. For the foamy milk, we use local farmer’s whole milk that is brought to boil and then manually pumped with a funny filter-like device that foams up the milk. All in all, it ends up being a pretty danged good latte even if the foam is not the perfect consistency. In fact, other than Peregrine’s, I have yet to find a place that can make one as good. I highly recommend.

This is a big departure from my usual Nescafe -- strong, black, no cream or sugar.

But now I am thinking of turning my pimp game up from a 4 to maybe a 8. I am thinking about picking up a manual expresso maker. Anyone use one these bad boys? Is it worth it, or should I find a semi-auto on Craigslist? Also, how do these things hold up? Are they like Italian sports cars that need constant love and attention, or are they nice industrial designs that hold up to lots of use?

Thanks fellow dorks.
    we are about to break the surly bonds of gravity and punch the face of God!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Manual expresso machines....thoughts?

I have yet to find a place that can make one as good.
    I have one above-average coffee shop downstairs and two great coffee shops within just a few blocks, but my GF wanted to make coffee here so she brought over an old Moka. I started using it and changed from refusing to brew my own (because what I could buy downstairs was better and involved no cleanup) to making my own again after a hiatus of about 10 years. My 2˘ - stick with the Moka, save yourself a ton of time and effort for very little real gain ... unless you're planning to buy a $10,000 machine and cat shit coffee beans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Manual espresso machines....thoughts?

yeah, but you cant make fun designs with the Moka... :(

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have a Cellini "Rocket" at work at it's awesome. 6-7 regular users, seems study but will definitely need some periodic upkeep with this level of use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck me. I cant believe I mispeled espresso. I suck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is only one, the Olympia Cremina. OK, there are others, but given the tastes of people in this forum, this is the best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you talking about the espresso makers that have an long handle to pull shots? Seriously? They take ages to heat up, clean and deal with.
    Moka pots are 99% awesome for those times when I can't get out for an proper espresso from an coffee house and for getting out the door french press with beans I burr grind is pretty darn terrific.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Rancilio Silvia semi-auto and couldn't be happier. She is very sensitive to dose, grind, tamp and temperature, so I have been learning a lot about the craft quickly. Having the machine do as little as possible, with reliance on technique, was exactly what I was looking for. Silvia is far superior to a Moka Pot to my taste, is reasonably priced, and warms up relatively quickly (5-10 minutes using warm-up techniques and 30 minutes doing nothing but flipping the switch). There is also a lot of information online about the machine, which has been very helpful.

I have to get over to Peregrine sometime. Over in Arlington, we have Boccatto, Northside Social, and Bayou. The first brews and carries Stumptown, and the latter two brew and carry Counter Culture. All good shops for drinks and beans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About three years ago I bought my wife a manual espresso machine for an anniversary present. I got her an Anita by Quick Mill (Italian company). Got the machine along with a grinder at Chris' Coffee Service, Chris Coffee Service - Home Espresso Machines. Chris' has a good selection and their customer service is first-rate. Yes, there is extra work involved in grinding, tamping, and keeping the machine clean. It also takes 15-20 minutes to warm up. BUT--it makes one of the best espressos/lattes/Americanos I can find locally. Combine with a quality coffee bean and the machine produces beautiful crema. Our morning routine is get up, turn on the machine, get ready for work, make a wonderful coffee (or two) and we are set for the day.

Btw, when I want a simple cup of coffee, my favorite method is a Melita single-serve drip cone w/ a paper filter. Can make it as strong as you like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Are you talking about the espresso makers that have an long handle to pull shots? Seriously? They take ages to heat up, clean and deal with.
    Moka pots are 99% awesome for those times when I can't get out for an proper espresso from an coffee house and for getting out the door french press with beans I burr grind is pretty darn terrific.
    I just wish I could get that crema action goin.' Thats where the pimp game is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by acotts View Post
    I just wish I could get that crema action goin.' Thats where the pimp game is.
    I hear you. I'm in an "TOO MUCH STUFF" phase of my life. Thus, I prefer wild captured espresso ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in an "TOO MUCH STUFF" phase of my life.
    Ditto.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hear you. I'm in an "TOO MUCH STUFF" phase of my life. Thus, I prefer wild captured espresso ;)
    Good point on that.

Cheers to clean living!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ditto too much effing stuff as I just completed packing house, and if I ever have to lift ANOTHER box of Bon Appetite from 1999 I'm going to lose it. Miss Sivia did not get packed and will travel-with through temp housing.

Andrew,start looking at the Rancilio Silvia and the Gaggia Classic. A strong entry point for someone of your passion. If on a budget, look for the Saeco-made Starbucks Barista that are all over the 'bay. Learn the art, recognize the machine's shortcomings, and upgrade down the road. Also invest in a complementary grinder, as the importance of a proper grind cannot be overstated.

When we land in temp. housing in DC, come over, bring the GF, and we will discuss post-post-modern consumerism, debate who absconded with the hole in the bagel, and when autumn temps descend upon us, imbibe in our signature maple cappuccino and take of several pumpkin imperials.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ Does this guy know how to party or what?!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't need anything too special to get good crema. I have an old Starbucks Barista whose basket I gutted so that I could pull proper shots. I have a bit of a warming up routine but the time to complete it is measured in seconds. After that the shots are almost as good as all the fine coffee spots around here these days. There are two or three shops whose shots I prefer over my own. I do wish the machine had a standard sized basket though.

What do you mean by manual espresso? Lever-action or simply not one of those full-auto jobs where you hit one button and it does the rest?

I ordered an Aeropress last week and I must say, it makes damn fine coffee for looking like a cheap plastic bong. It is going to be my travel coffee kit, along with this grinder, which conveniently fits inside it: PORLEX Mini Stainless Steel Japanese Ceramic Burr Coffee Grinder

edit: hey just noticed the Starbucks Barista love above. Definitely a worthy machine, especially with my GFs x-mas discount+employee discount years ago. They also sold a damn good grinder back then. Unfortunately mine broke (just didn't turn on one day!) and I got a Baratza Virtuoso, which might grind slightly better but is put together like crap in comparison.

edit 2: as far as grinders go, people allege that this will be the best thing ever: http://www.orphanespresso.com/OE-PHA...er_p_3977.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you ever want to buy something, ask EddieBirdsell what he recommends. He'll set you straight. If he doesn't know the answer, convince him he needs one, let him do all the good investigatory leg-work and wait for the conclusive answer. Tell him you'll need a couple home-brews to drink while you patiently await his findings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by juanj View Post
    About three years ago I bought my wife a manual espresso machine for an anniversary present. I got her an Anita by Quick Mill (Italian company). Got the machine along with a grinder at Chris' Coffee Service, Chris Coffee Service - Home Espresso Machines. Chris' has a good selection and their customer service is first-rate. Yes, there is extra work involved in grinding, tamping, and keeping the machine clean. It also takes 15-20 minutes to warm up. BUT--it makes one of the best espressos/lattes/Americanos I can find locally. Combine with a quality coffee bean and the machine produces beautiful crema. Our morning routine is get up, turn on the machine, get ready for work, make a wonderful coffee (or two) and we are set for the day.

Btw, when I want a simple cup of coffee, my favorite method is a Melita single-serve drip cone w/ a paper filter. Can make it as strong as you like.
    Yup, I have an Anita and it rules!

I used a Gaggia Classic (with an MDF grinder) for many years and it is a good entry level setup. The Crema (and milk) is much easier to perfect with the Anita (and a good MACAP grinder)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've got a Rocket in the workshop - essentially a commercial-level grouphead with a domestic sized boiler. It takes a bit of skill to drive it but it makes a great cup.

For home use it would be overkill - it takes time to warm up, takes up a lot of bench space, needs a dumper for the used grinds, etc. A Moka is a much easier, faster way of making a cup or two of espresso, and the coffee quality is great. They last a long time if you clean them - they're made from aluminium and mine always develops a bit of corrosion in the bottom if I get lazy and don't wash it.

BTW, if you're a coffee snob why are watering it down with milk?? ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been pulling two doubles every day on my 1986 Olympia Cremina for years now. It is a perfect machine. 7 minutes to heat up, lasts forever with maintenance, pulls espresso shots that is out of this world. Small enough to take on trips and races. It is as manual an manual gets in the espresso machine world: no PID, no dual boiler, no temp surf, no pressure profiling, no pump, no spring. Just you and a lever to pull. A bit of a learning curve to start; expect two months and burn marks to wear. Feed it lightly roasted beans aged less than 14 days, like any single origins from ecco or ritual, and expect heaven. Pull a shot for a barista from blue bottle once and blew him away. Get yours supplies from Doug at Orphan Espresso, listen to the man. Still learning how to improve after all these years.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast