User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Nice plug on Twitter - do builders have experience using social media for marketing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Nice plug on Twitter - do builders have experience using social media for marketing?

Saw this on my Twitter feed (which I only check about once a week... sort of defeats the purpose I guess).

Mark_Renshaw Mark Renshaw
    Been checking out custom bikes, Want custom size and paint job.These @baumcycles are very nice. Some amazing paint jobs on these beauty's.

Very nice plug for Baum Cycles. This got me to thinking, how much do other builders use social media or other electronic venues to help market their bikes?

Jonathan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Nice plug on Twitter - do builders have experience using social media for marketi

Everyone who posts here is using social media. Many of us run the blog/ photo hosting/ FB gamut.

It's fun and a great way to connect with the public, but it can be a bit of work. I ended up canceling my Twitter account when 1) I realized I didn't enjoy writing a few characters a few times a day and 2) my account was hacked by someone who enjoyed spamming more then I enjoyed posting.

My current outlets work well for me- the blog lets me discuss fun projects and details people wouldn't have the opportunity to see in person, forum posts allow me to directly talk with new people and have totally sidebar conversations I wouldn't have working by myself, flickr lets me revel in the physical minutia and FB helps me stay connected with folks all over the globe. It took some effort, but I have found comfortable niches for myself on several types of sites.
    Last edited by Eric Estlund; 05-28-2011 at 11:44 AM.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Nice plug on Twitter - do builders have experience using social media for marketi

i have a longstanding gig on flickr, plus 3 blogger.com blogs, and 3 FB pages, AND a website. i once assumed it would be a
    a full time job administrating it but found that one key stroke covers nearly all bases and needs. i haven't picked up on the
    twitter thing but i do follow others there atmo. ps the Smoked Out page exists so that those with threads can also use
    them to drive traffic to their other pages. duplication rules atmo.
    Last edited by e-RICHIE; 05-28-2011 at 11:57 AM. Reason: typo -

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Blog, this place, FBC & FB keep me plenty busy in addition to ****tons of metal work & wheelbuilding. Lots of full builds & forks too. Had three guys assholes & elbows the other day, So busy I had to call in reinforcements. - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe I was one of the first framebuilders on twitter. I've never been any good at keeping up a blog, but I've been able to connect with folks via twitter pretty effectively. I've sold at least two bikes directly from contacts made on twitter. It has also increased awareness of my brand. I also use Flickr, FB and tumblr. These are all connected (to each other and to twitter) and can be updated simultaneously with one click. I believe that Social Networking is going to become the way we find stuff online. It's sometimes easier to find relevant information by asking your friends/followers than going to google. There is also no faster way of finding up-to-the-minute news than with twitter. Try it as a search engine--it can be very powerful. I didn't get it until I tried it out, but I find that it is getting more and more valuable...um, atmo
    Portland, Oregon, USA
    www.pereiracycles.com
    www.breadwinnercycles.com
    503-333-5043

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Twitter is denigrated by many people who don't understand it, but as Tony said it's fantastic for up to the minute news about nearly any topic. I follow a few builders on there but mostly use it for sports commentary (SF Giants games, cycling coverage when it's not televised) and to keep up with people I actually know.

check out:
    @procyclinglive
    @ride_argyle
    @BMCproteam
    @cyclingnewslive
    @taylorphinney
    @stevilkinevil
    @iggyjsilva
    @hornerakg
    @bradwiggins
    @f_cancellara
    @albertocontador
    @d_zabriskie

and of course @spookybikes, @pereiracycles, @baumcycles, @merciancycles, @mootscycles, @mzank, @fireflybicycles, @signalcycles, @iraryancycles
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm into it, if you're into it then go ahead and do it. It has to be genuine though, if you are just tweeting updates from your blog I assume you will get unfollowed...
    You should follow me if your one there though: @sizemorebicycle