Thread: House Industries

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: House Industries

I love House- inspires.

I keep all the catalogs that come through the mail and check the site out at least quarterly.

Great series recently in the Smoked Out section of stuff that is NBR- Thank you e-Richie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by richroat View Post
    Since your DT logo is so long, you're probably moving in the right direction by picking something typographic instead of illustrative. There are so many good typefaces out there right now, you could spend days picking through online testers to see what works. My partner, Andy, always says "Squint at it, and see if it still looks good." Some of my favorites:

Commercial Type
    HFJ
    Font Bureau

If you find something you like, buy the family, then start printing it out at size and stare at it some more. I don't think there is any filter besides your own aesthetic sense, which is obviously keen judging from the bicycles you build.

To address your customer question, we have never really worked that way. Most of our typefaces come from concepts we cooked up in the studio, not from client requests. We just draw it up, put it out there and see if anyone bites.
    Thanks for the sites. I wish I had the aesthetic sense you imply. My motto is.."when in doubt, copy hampco".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rich, Ben, and Crew, Thank you for treating us here to a great story. Sounds like your no strangers to blazing a new path for others to follow. Its inspiring for me to see individuals or groups have the confidence, perseverance, and know how (lets call it love) to bring new ideas to the table, fallow through with the production process and bring them to fruition.
    How do you like to deal with folks that imitate your designs (not Jonathin:) on a larger scale. Do you consider it a kind of free press, do you bust out the Kung Fu or do you use it as motivation to innovate or, something totally different.
    Thanks,
    Lex-

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paul did a little redraw on the Hampsten logo, then we took a stab at a script version and Steve has graciously supplied Ben Kiel, Paul and I with some of his addictive two-wheeled crack.
    I love the script logo House produced, so thank you! In case you haven't seen it on a bike yet:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by the bottle ride View Post
    I keep all the catalogs that come through the mail and check the site out at least quarterly.
    Hey, thanks for the kind words and for keeping the catalogs. Whenever we see the huge stacks of paper at the printing plant, it makes us work a bit harder to make something that people see as a keepsake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lex View Post
    How do you like to deal with folks that imitate your designs (not Jonathin:) on a larger scale. Do you consider it a kind of free press, do you bust out the Kung Fu or do you use it as motivation to innovate or, something totally different.
    Thanks,
    Lex-
    We provide a product to the creative industry, so we see things that pop up all the time. More than anything, it just means that we're doing our job. When we mailed our Eames Century Modern catalog last April, the board game illustration became the window display at the Old Navy flagship store in San Francisco. It was an annoying form of flattery, but we put it out there so things like that are to be expected. The Kung Fu only comes out for the super obvious corporate behemoth knocking something off or using fonts without a license. Half the time we have to walk away because we can't afford to go the distance and the other half we just don't need the agro. Somebody once said, "Forward is hard enough. Why go backwards."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by x43x View Post
    I love the script logo House produced, so thank you! In case you haven't seen it on a bike yet
    Oh Smoke! Where you at Hampco? Is that the first one? Looks awesome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took the photo at Hampco Towers a couple weeks ago. It is the first one, and yes, it does look awesome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for letting us bug up your forum with all of those legs and body segments. That was a fun one. At least for me to watch.

Angelo Cruz, Andy's dad, is the striper. You can watch his work here around 1:30. He also built one of the coolest 32s:

You would go nuts in his garage. Bring that jalopy up here some weekend and I'll see if I can square it with him.
    I'm feeling an roadtrip.
    http://www.monoscope.com/quickimagep...mages_1035.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nothin'n like a duce 5 window coupe with "flat motor, dropped axel, reversed rims & --- maybe ole buick/pontiac finned front stop drums...

what a piece of tail...

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ron l edmiston View Post
    nothin'n like a duce 5 window coupe with "flat motor, dropped axel, reversed rims & --- maybe ole buick/pontiac finned front stop drums...

what a piece of tail...

ronnie
    You betcha...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Over the top. Quick change gearset too? Yet another example of things NOBODY should be able to buy outright. That there is an work of passion, time and done right for yourself.

Rich, you know people like that? (wink wink)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gota have some sw gages mounted, ole sun tach, moon gear shift knob from ole moon front mounted pressure pump fule tank, and maybe a cut down 40 ford steering wheel..
    yo halibrand quick change rear end cover is sand cast -- i have extra if ever needed..
    set of arden heads make that flat hall a__...

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ron l edmiston View Post
    gota have some sw gages mounted, ole sun tach, moon gear shift knob from ole moon front mounted pressure pump fule tank, and maybe a cut down 40 ford steering wheel..
    yo halibrand quick change rear end cover is sand cast -- i have extra if ever needed..
    set of arden heads make that flat hall a__...
    Jeez Ronnie, when can we come over? PM me your address and shirt size and I'll send you a little book we did on the '32.

Peep the og curved face SW gauges.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hampsten/Cinghiale sketches:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You made me think of this photo, this photo made me think of you. I hope you enjoy it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reflections.

I've long been a huge House Ind fan. Have collected lots and currently waiting to order some of the fab Heath Ceramic house numbers. Chapeau.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rock the House.

Looking forward to these House Industries - Objects - Towels from House and a new House script Hampsten tee from Hampco.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vulture View Post

You made me think of this photo, this photo made me think of you. I hope you enjoy it.

I love the font that says whispering power. That's very reminiscent of what I found for my down tube logo, but I like that one better. Can you guys make a whole font from a sample like that?
    Last edited by edoz; 05-30-2011 at 08:43 PM.
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edoz View Post
    I love the font that says whispering power. That's very reminiscent of what I found for my down tube logo, but I like that one better. Can you guys make a whole font from a sample like that?
    Eric,

I hunted around for something similar and found this:

Grover | Sudtipos

It's a little more "casual", but has many of the same nuances. It could be drawn, but I usually hunt around and see if something is close.

If you're just doing a downtube logo, it might be easier to just have a lettering artist mock the style, but add some brush flavor to it.

Lemme know if I can help.

Regards,

Rich

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast