Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 7005 BB30-87'd

Aluminum f-builders-

Death to Snap-Rings!

I just had Fairing delete standard 7005 BB30 shells from their catalog to be replaced with PF30.
    Shells in 68mm will be available in about a month. At this time there are no plans for 73mm shells.

If anyone needs standard shells for builds currently on the books I have a handful.

-m

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 7005 BB30-87'd

Mickey,
    I guess PF30 makes more sense from a manufacturing of view, frustrating when standards are becoming obsolete before they even get going. I've got a BB30 reamer there I've barely used but am already waiting for delivery of the PF30 reamers thanks to Tony. Thanks for the heads up anyway.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suspectdevice View Post
    Aluminum f-builders-

Death to Snap-Rings!

I just had Fairing delete standard 7005 BB30 shells from their catalog to be replaced with PF30.
    Shells in 68mm will be available in about a month. At this time there are no plans for 73mm shells.

If anyone needs standard shells for builds currently on the books I have a handful.

-m
    huh? why wouldn't they want to stock both? paragon made my pf30 shells and they're fine. my bb30 shells were fine too. i don't see a monumental advantage to the former although it does make tolerances a little bit easier.
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    huh? why wouldn't they want to stock both? paragon made my pf30 shells and they're fine. my bb30 shells were fine too. i don't see a monumental advantage to the former although it does make tolerances a little bit easier.
    It's a trade, economically, for builders.
    The only raw material that's been available to make the PF30 shells on this continent is bar stock, and Paragon cleared it out when they made your shells. 7005 Bar stock is outrageously expensive. Complete shells and tube stock are both coming for PF30. The raw material for "standard"BB30 shells is currently available in bar and tube form too.

the freezing plains hard by lake michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a thought, what's the benefit of PF30? It was originally pimped as solving the issue of having to ream BB30 shells post assembly. But that's not true, so what's the real bene? While this probably sounds snarky, this is a sincere question,.
    To old to know better

www.cyclesnoir.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CyclesNoir View Post
    Just a thought, what's the benefit of PF30? It was originally pimped as solving the issue of having to ream BB30 shells post assembly. But that's not true, so what's the real bene? While this probably sounds snarky, this is a sincere question,.
    The benefit- none, honestly. I think bb30 kinda sucks too, at least for me pesonally. Gimme Durace or XTR cranks and a threaded bb shell anygoddamn day. Consumers want to use the latest and greatest shit- and there are scant few that don't want bigger holes to shove their junk into. I don't personally like the idea of a PF shells(or ZS headtubes) on steel bikes from an aesthetic standpoint- They look as odd as the 1.5" headtubes we used to stick on mountainbikes in the mid aughts.

BB30 shells are a bigger pain in the ass to machine to begin with with that damnable snapring groove and are equally a pain in the ass during the finishing process. The PF shells on the new production bikes we have going theoretically should be less of a pain in my ass to drop cups/bearings into before we ship and the consumers seem to be hip already to how the whole process works, so I suppose that's a good thing.

Time and ease doesn't matter all that much on the custom end of things but I can put it this way- I looked at the price differential between re-tooling our new production bikes to BB30 v. PF30. In terms of new tooling, new cutters and new fixturing the PF shells were cheaper, considerably cheaper. The unit cost also went down significantly on finished frames. Even after amortizing out the new fixturing and cutters the PF30 bikes are cheaper by a few bucks than the bb30 frames would have been.
    The price differential for the finished product gave us enough room to add new dropouts and headtubes and still hit our pricepoint When building 100 bikes at a time the dollars and cents add up rapidly.
    Last edited by suspectdevice; 05-20-2011 at 06:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the miter angles work out better on my bikes with the bigger bb shell. plus the pf30/bb30 stuff lets you use whatever crank you want.
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bigger, it's better. In the ideal world my bb's and ht's would have the same o.d.- 2" is so manly. Imagine a world where they also used the same cutters and reamers.
    We should probabally introduce our own "standard".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry can not let it go on forever. Mickey the term is 86'ed and it is a very old restaurant term that refers to something that is now not available for the remainder of the day. The history of the term is from when diner's all had 85 items on the menu and when something was not available it was listed as #86 which in turn did not exist. History lesson for the day.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shows how long it's been since i was bussing tables to pay for plane tickets!

the freezing plains hard by lake michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suspectdevice View Post

Time and ease doesn't matter all that much on the custom end of things but I can put it this way- I looked at the price differential between re-tooling our new production bikes to BB30 v. PF30. In terms of new tooling, new cutters and new fixturing the PF shells were cheaper, considerably cheaper. The unit cost also went down significantly on finished frames. Even after amortizing out the new fixturing and cutters the PF30 bikes are cheaper by a few bucks than the bb30 frames would have been.
    The price differential for the finished product gave us enough room to add new dropouts and headtubes and still hit our pricepoint When building 100 bikes at a time the dollars and cents add up rapidly.
    Just the info I was looking for. Thanks. BTW, when the purse keeper allows, I'm going to order a Spooky.
    To old to know better

www.cyclesnoir.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't believe I missed this thread. Heat sinks... talk about distortion on these buggers.
    Cantabrigian Mechanics - Commonwealth Bikes - Gaulzetti Cicli