User Tag List

Page 83 of 146 FirstFirst ... 737475767778798081828384858687888990919293 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,660 of 2905

Thread: What are you cooking for dinner this weekend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What are you cooking for dinner this weekend?

Early spring weather means early lobster.

Before.

During.

After.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I picked up a few short ribs today to try my hand at a longer (~48 hour) sous vide cook. My longest to date was a ~10 hour top round that was mostly excellent. Planning to drop the ribs tomorrow afternoon and eat them Wednesday night. I'll definitely report back with the results (and pics).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am in Argentina on business this week. Tonight we had a real treat. Freshly killed lamb, balls and all. Pleae note the rack of Malbecs in the background too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amazing! Did you say, "I'm vegetarian," so this was their solution?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he said that, he and his ancestors would all be required to surrender their Texan cards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    If he said that, he and his ancestors would all be required to surrender their Texan cards.
    I thought Argentina was an all beef, all the time sort of place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Amazing! Did you say, "I'm vegetarian," so this was their solution?
    This was the night before.... The night before that was steak too. Basically i have been surviving on malbecs and steak.

And this stuff called mate

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jdp211 View Post
    I picked up a few short ribs today to try my hand at a longer (~48 hour) sous vide cook. My longest to date was a ~10 hour top round that was mostly excellent. Planning to drop the ribs tomorrow afternoon and eat them Wednesday night. I'll definitely report back with the results (and pics).
    I'm interested in how this turns out!

Does anyone have any fav sous vide recipes they care to share? I just started playing around with it, and have only tried ribeyes, salmon and a burger (an experiment when I was home alone one night). All turned out great, but you absolutely need to sear or grill after the s-v cook...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JChasse View Post
    I'm interested in how this turns out!

Does anyone have any fav sous vide recipes they care to share? I just started playing around with it, and have only tried ribeyes, salmon and a burger (an experiment when I was home alone one night). All turned out great, but you absolutely need to sear or grill after the s-v cook...
    I'm all set to pull and sear (and subsequently eat) the short ribs tonight. I've definitely had some water loss due to heat, and had a brief period where the water line got below minimum and the circulator shut off. I've since been diligent about refilling every time I leave the house.

As far as recipes go, I'm a gigantic fan of everything posted by Kenji via The Food Lab. I actually feel that where SV really shines with red meat is when using 'cheaper' cuts of meat. Things like top round, chuck steak, short ribs, and other butcher's cuts. A well marbled ribeye doesn't really need the SV treatment, though it certainly doesn't hurt. I'd also give chicken breasts a try and other fish. I really love butter 'poached' white fish as it's about as easy as you can get. Bag the fish (trout and cod work reaaaally well here) with a knob of butter, some fresh herbs, a garlic clove, cook, and then straight to the plate. Flaky, delicate, perfect.

I've been wanting to trying some of the veggie recipes I've seen. Because ziplocks typically don't hold up well to the higher temperatures necessary and my not having a vacuum sealer, I haven't had the chance yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually feel that where SV really shines with red meat is when using 'cheaper' cuts of meat. Things like top round, chuck steak, short ribs, and other butcher's cuts. A well marbled ribeye doesn't really need the SV treatment, though it certainly doesn't hurt.
    Agreed. But I like that it makes getting a ribeye etc. to exactly your desired temperature, foolproof, every time. That way I don't risk overcooking a bunch of really expensive meat while I'm off opening another bottle of wine!

Good luck with the short ribs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I just consumed a ridiculously delicious dinner. 48hrs at 144* lends itself to a wonderfully tender result. Oh. My. God. Now I want to try 72hrs. and other temperatures. Short ribs are so cheap that even with a crappy outcome, you're only out a few bucks.

Going technical, no seasoning pre SV, kosher salt between SV and searing, cast iron on ultra-high heat with canola oil. A few seconds on each side all the way around (a butter baste might have yielded a better sear) and that's that.

Anyway, you guys just want pics, yeah?

Out of the bag, not very appetizing:
    DSCF1096 by jacob Perlmutter, on Flickr

On top of some mashed, and we're looking a bit better. Paired with a lovely Rioja (that I STILL can't figure out how to make a pan sauce with), and we're doing quite well.
    DSCF1099 by jacob Perlmutter, on Flickr

Again, holy crap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jacob Effin' Perimutter for the win. Nice work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No pics, but this was so good I'm christening it Mark's 12 hour musaka*

Take two goat ribs, as shot by vintage housemate on local farm (goats are ferals).

Cut two onions crossways in thirds, add these plus a few garlic cloves, bay leaves and EVO to casserole. Place goat ribs on top, season, cover and bake at 120 for 5 - 6 hours then leave in oven to cool (I put it on at 0730, it was turned off at 1300).

Remove goat and pan juices, add tomatoes, fresh thyme and cumin seed and simmer slowly, moisten with pan juices (first separate fat from pan juice and discard).

Meanwhile fry two eggplant sliced into 5mm rounds until browned and make up bechamel sauce.

Mix shredded goat back into tomato mix, layer it and eggplant then top with bechamel and bake in 200 degree oven to brown.

Serve with wine made by vintage housemate. Seriously good.

*it uses the Greek layer method not the Turkish method but the flavours are more Turkish.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the "out of the bag" photo, where did the browning on the edges and the marrow come from? I can't imagine that actually happened in the SV bag. Did you sear just the edges before the pic?

Do tell, but in any case man, that looks delicious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks! I think its just a darkening of the marrow as opposed to browning. Those spots were already on the dark side of things when raw. I also pre-boiled for the ribs for 30s prior to bagging, so the color may have come from that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what kind of machine are you using for your SV?

looks delish.
    Matt Moore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Testing the limits of our new range....
    I spatcocked a checken, salt and evo, whole carrots, than direct into a 500f oven for one hr.
    Out comes a crisp, flat chicken.
    A little too good considering.
    BTW those carrots
    I know this sounds silly, but...
    you did this open topped and in a roasting pan?

cooking for the MIL and something simple like this would be great. probably pick up a medium sized chicken.
    Matt Moore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hellafab View Post
    I know this sounds silly, but...
    you did this open topped and in a roasting pan?

cooking for the MIL and something simple like this would be great. probably pick up a medium sized chicken.
    yep, no need to cover, maybe rub some oil on the bird first, plus salt and pepper
    we do this often, except we break the bird down and sometimes will sear the skin in oil or butter in the skillet (using the stove burner)
    then pull that out, add the veggies (carrot shallot and celery is my jam) and potatoes, put the chicken on top and then back in the oven 'til it temps to 170 or whatever you want it...
    we usually use two large cast iron skillets, veggies plus half the bird in each skillet

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hellafab View Post
    what kind of machine are you using for your SV?

looks delish.
    Thanks! I'm using an ANOVA Precision. It's been mostly pretty good, the bluetooth app gets kind of screwy if you go in an out of range (changing times/temps/pausing cooks), but other than that I've got no complaints.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks! I'm using an ANOVA Precision. It's been mostly pretty good, the bluetooth app gets kind of screwy if you go in an out of range (changing times/temps/pausing cooks), but other than that I've got no complaints.
    I almost got the same one, but got a Sansaire mainly because it's stupid simple, and it's really wide at the base, so I can just plunk it in the water and it stands up steadily - no need to mess with the clamp thing.

I'm sure you can't go wrong with either. Here's a pretty thoughtful comparison...We Test the Anova, Sansaire, and Nomiku Sous Vide Circulators | Serious Eats