User Tag List

Page 76 of 146 FirstFirst ... 666768697071727374757677787980818283848586 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 2905

Thread: What are you cooking for dinner this weekend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What are you cooking for dinner this weekend?

Miracle. I remembered to take process shots. After zero deliberation I committed two shapes.
    If a second miracle happens I post plated dishes.
    pasta1.jpgpasta2.jpgpasta3.jpgpasta4.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh my Josh, those look killer!

Did some playing of my own this evening. Rolled solo tonight, so steak and potatoes!
    Into the bag
    Untitled by jacob Perlmutter, on Flickr
    Out of the bag, kinda funky looking
    Edge to edge...melt in your mouth

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ta da. Nice dinner capped off with a round of Operation (by Milton Bradley).
    finale1.jpgfinale2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ you party animal, you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All three kids are now home for the holidays so Mrs. RW treated the lot of us to a little Chicken Parmigiana.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Breakfast for dinner. Hash with leftover pastrami, onions, red pepper.

My name is Hung | Instagram | Website/portfolio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TT those look amazing! Well played..

Pardon the grainy pictures, but here are some more malloredus and a few strozzapreti, all in another simple pomodoro with some charred broccoli and locally harvested crosnes, sautéed in a bit of butter and garlic.
    IMG-20151219-WA0000.jpg
    All after working up a bit of an appetite on our Icari
    20151219_154903.jpg
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lahb Kai, sticky rice and Green Papaya salad, the jar of dried peppers is a definite case of truth in advertising :>).
    IMG_0542.jpgIMG_0543.jpg

My friend at the Asian Market laughed when I asked about it, "you can always add more but you can't take it back". Lips are numb, head was sweating, endorphins were flowing glad I added the last bit to just mine! haha
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What’s the best braised or roasted chicken recipe in your arsenal?

I stumbled upon (quite a few) Jamie Oliver “milk chicken” recipes online, declaring it to be the best chicken ever. My wife makes a mean roast chicken, so I was a little apprehensive to try making something similar. Further digging on “milk chicken” turned up a YouTube video in German. That video shows that a lot of his details/steps are missing in the online recipes. I’ve added those to the recipe below with a few tiny variations. My kids and I made this for her tonight, and it’s pretty good, but her roasted chicken is still king.

Credits

Jamie Oliver's Chicken in Milk Is Probably the Best Chicken Recipe of All Time — Recipe Review | The Kitchn
    Food Science: Why Lemon Makes Milk Curdle | The Kitchn

Specialty tools
    A dutch oven or braiser
    Parchment paper

Ingredients
    1 whole chicken
    2 lemons
    2 heads of garlic, cloves peeled (We like garlic, original calls for 1 head, unpeeled)
    2 shallots, peeled and quartered (Not called for, but they were just sitting there, waiting to be used)
    A handful of fresh sage
    1/2 of a cinnamon stick
    2 cups whole milk
    Olive oil
    Butter
    Salt
    Pepper

Let the chicken come up to room temperature, and preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
    Use a sharp vegetable peeler to remove the lemon rind in long strips. After peeling slice the lemon. The rind goes in the dutch oven, and the lemon slices go inside the chicken.
    Break the sage in half, leaving yourself a stem portion and a leaf portion. Leaves go in the dutch oven, stems go inside the bird.
    Drizzle a little olive oil on the chicken. Add sea salt and pepper, then rub it all over the bird. Stuff the lemon slices and sage stems into the bird’s cavity.
    Add a bit of oil and butter to the dutch oven and put it over medium-high heat. Brown the bird on all sides, starting with the breasts, then the sides, finishing with the back.
    Once browned, remove the chicken, and dump the remaining oil and butter. Leave the tasty little browned bits, though.
    Put the chicken back in your pot, breast side up. Add the lemon peel, garlic, shallots, cinnamon stick, sage leaves, another couple of pats of butter, milk and some more pepper.
    Give it another minute or two on the stove, then remove from heat.
    Soak and crumple a piece of parchment paper that is big enough to cover everything. Place and snug it over the contents of the pot.
    Cook it in the oven (an hour and a half or so for a small 3-4 pound chicken, 2 or more for a larger one). Baste occasionally.
    The lemon/milk combo is going to separate the milk. Eww, right? Not quite: science happens. Who are you to argue with science?
    Pull/cut the chicken into quarters, and spoon the sauce and curds over to serve. If the curds freak you out, you can skip them.
    Remove the garlic and smear onto bread.

We ate it with basmati rice and broccoli, since our kids like that. I bet it would be awesome as shown in the video over polenta and wilted spinach. No doubt, we devoured it, but my wife’s herb and lemon roasted chicken is on another level.

IMG_1170.jpgIMG_1171.jpgIMG_1181.jpgIMG_1182.jpgIMG_1187.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good work on the bird. I think you are on the hunt. Chicken Marsala in it's many itterations is hands down the one I come back for. Use a whole butchered chicken, GREAT olives and you can't miss.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's get back to the workingman's and woman's meals...enough of the Christmas festivities I say. Homemade honey whole wheat bread and a version of zucchini vegetable soup which includes some of my nephew's "venison blend" spicy sausage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, Sick as a dog this last week and a half...today, Lentils...

I have a lot of broth in the freezer...

Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First stab at smoking a brisket last weekend, and first time cooking something on the Egg overnight.
    Massive success. I used Emeril's dry rub recipe, temps at about 225 for about 11 hours. Took it off the smoker at 11am and wrapped in foil and set it in the oven (not on) for another six hours before carving.
    Would have preferred a bit stronger smoke flavor, but otherwise the taste was out of this world.
    Fed eight adults and a couple kids, and we are making tacos from the leftovers today for another small get together.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ive searched for the bread thread here and cant find anything that im looking for.

I want to make a nice ciabatta type bread for a dinner im going to make this Saturday. Side comment, the ciabatta breads I see are shorter (~2"-2.5" tall) loafs... im looking for something taller but still light and airy, is this a different type of bread or just something a bread master would be able to pull off?
    Matt Moore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes you gotta cut a nice slab of Cabot Cheddar and slap a brick of Guava paste on it and....eat it:

Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In France that would be diet food Martin. Just sayin'

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hellafab View Post
    ive searched for the bread thread here and cant find anything that im looking for.

I want to make a nice ciabatta type bread for a dinner im going to make this Saturday. Side comment, the ciabatta breads I see are shorter (~2"-2.5" tall) loafs... im looking for something taller but still light and airy, is this a different type of bread or just something a bread master would be able to pull off?

Well, conventional/traditional ciabatta is a very wet dough, which is why it is typically rather flat. It simply cannot support its own weight until it is baked. Some things called ciabatta are more like Italian (American) bread doughs but are really just lean bread doughs. Like this one from King Arthur Flour. It would make a taller loaf and be a lot easier to handle than true ciabatta dough. But, it won't be nearly as craggy with the big open rustic crumb that you see in ciabatta.

If you want to give Ciabatta a try, this article covers the general process pretty well. It uses a biga, which isn't hard, but is important.

Use bottled water, fresh yeast, and a medium-protein flour. Or half all-purpose, half-bread flour.

Nick

“If today is not your day,
    then be happy
    for this day shall never return.
    And if today is your day,
    then be happy now
    for this day shall never return.”
    ― Kamand Kojouri

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have guava, but there are some medjool dates that seem lonely and should meet the cheddar.

Endorsed.

Nick

“If today is not your day,
    then be happy
    for this day shall never return.
    And if today is your day,
    then be happy now
    for this day shall never return.”
    ― Kamand Kojouri

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So my Sicilian Father In Law turned 94 yesterday.

He's Archie, I'm Meathead, nevertheless we get along because both of us being prior service we cut each other to pieces in the proverbial sense.

Lamb is his favorite, "It's a biblical meat!"

Soooo...Went to Arthur Ave, got some great loin lamb chops on sale, my guy at Biancardi's Butcher Shop made me an offer I couldn't refuse; I walk around and price compare but as soon as I walked in he says, "You need any veal knuckles?"

I can't refuse veal knuckles, he gave me 10 pounds. I spent $85.00 overall but 10# of veal knuckles is worth ca$h money...say 30$`.

I pan broiled the chops after they'd marinated in garlic, rosemary, s&p, that I pounded into smoosh in a mortar & pestle...

I also made a ragu of Cotechino & lentils, served over fresh cavatelli, and the veg was endive braised in my chicken stock...

I only got a picture of the chops:

Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great plan UFD. I like that you work with whatever comes your way.