User Tag List

Page 6 of 146 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you cooking for dinner this weekend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eugene now hosts an Oregon truffle festival every year - late January - early Feb. time frame as I recall. I still have a stick of imported butter from Parma infused with chopped black oregon truffle in the freezer slowly being diminished steak by steak. Bring your fender bikes and Showers Pass jackets, ride, eat and drink!

Josh, take one ribeye, grill on wood-charcoal fire, garnish with big slab of black truffle butter. Muscle recovery issues solved! (particularly if paired with that wine JB described earlier in the thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Costello View Post
    Eugene now hosts an Oregon truffle festival every year - late January - early Feb. time frame as I recall. I still have a stick of imported butter from Parma infused with chopped black oregon truffle in the freezer slowly being diminished steak by steak. Bring your fender bikes and Showers Pass jackets, ride, eat and drink!

Josh, take one ribeye, grill on wood-charcoal fire, garnish with big slab of black truffle butter. Muscle recovery issues solved! (particularly if paired with that wine JB described earlier in the thread.

No doubt Greg, I've thrown in the towel. I'm being reasonable. After a few meals with red meat back in my diet the change is remakable and positive. I'm a bit bummed. Now I want to establish was this a Boron deficiency perhaps that was triggered by lack of red meat? Dangit, this really drives home what I firmly believe...endurance athletes have special needs. Special, oy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turkish red lentil soup topped with red butter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shinomaster View Post
    Turkish red lentil soup topped with red butter.
    that's beautiful, what kind of crackers are those in the background?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Campy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are a mind reader. I've been meaning to make a yellow lentil dal. DBRK's dal was so freakin' good (hint hint) I need that recipe.

This is what I made for the fam this evening:
    1. Cut FAT asparagus with wild mushrooms
    2. Wild rice (dressed very lightly)

The Main show was an 8 lbs dead fresh rock fish caught by the cobb island fishermen. Dang, it was right off the boat :)

I laid down rough cut sweet onions and olive oil lots of cracked pepper marjoram and laid the fish on top. Than cut large pieces of garden heritage tomatoes, some lemon wedges more pepper salt and more olive oil AND some smokey paprika. Covered tight with tin foil into an oven on lowish heat until done. Let it sit for 30 mins. than pulled out the bones and served. BooYah.

Mango or Lemon Sorbet with crumble cake for dessert.

I'm happy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the daughters is spending the night with a friend, the other wanted canned soup canned? Deb and I had a very nice N.Y. strip, med rare, with wild mushroom risotto and a nice Zin to wash it all down. Deb snapped the one of the cook checking for salt :D . BTW desert is turtle brownies all from scratch. Very Yum :thrasher:. Have a great weekend all. Frank
    Hmm pics won't upload. Trust me, most delish esp the brownies.
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fresh off the Boat is nice

[QUOTE=Too Tall;34948]You are a mind reader. I've been meaning to make a yellow lentil dal. DBRK's dal was so freakin' good (hint hint) I need that recipe.

The Main show was an 8 lbs dead fresh rock fish caught by the cobb island fishermen. Dang, it was right off the boat :)

Not to go too crazy here, Josh

But the real deal is...you need to let the fish (dead) progress from fresh caught, through riger mortis, and then relax. 24-hrs or so. This is happening cold, of course.

Think of aged beef. The good stuff needs time.

Fish needs a little time, cool. Maybe 36hrs from fresh caught.
    Last edited by RIHans; 09-28-2008 at 03:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=RIHans;35104]
    Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    You are a mind reader. I've been meaning to make a yellow lentil dal. DBRK's dal was so freakin' good (hint hint) I need that recipe.

Not to go too crazy here, Josh

But the real deal is...you need to let the fish (dead) progress from fresh caught, through riger mortis, and then relax. 24-hrs or so. This is happening cold, of course.

Think of aged beef. The good stuff needs time.

Fish needs a little time, cool. Maybe 36hrs from fresh caught.
    I'm learning cool tip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fish

Fish on both Saturday and Sunday here.

Saturday lunch - snapper with red chillis, spring onion, corriander, garlic, mango and lemon juice, wrapped in foil and in the Webber for 40 minutes. Serve with frites, Leffe and salad. Great after 3 sunny hours on the bike.

Sunday dinner - salmon on a bed of fennel, asparagus on top and wrapped in bacon. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes. Serve with a salad.
    Last edited by BBB; 09-28-2008 at 07:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I scored this box of tomatoes at the end of the day at a farmers market. This guy gave me this haul of ripe beauties for $5. Yes that's about $30.00 worth in a fancy story. It never hurts to show up at the end of a market and haggle.
    I have used them for tomato salad, pasta, and last night I made fresh Pico de gallo (salsa.) it's so simple and good that there should never be a reason to buy that crap in a jar. Just chop fresh tomato, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, and add fresh lime and salt. It's a great use of ripe tomatoes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn that looks good Shino, I just wish I had the time and patience for fresh salsa. Speakin' of which, ever try lizano salsa? http://www.geocities.com/ntlelmbrt/lizano.html

Salsa by name, just a different type. Picked up a bottle in Costa Rica this spring and it rules on eggs, especially as a side condiment to an omelet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default last nights dinner

recipe ripped from the pages of family circle mag while waiting in the dentists office:
    1 lb asparagus
    1 red pepper
    boursine cheese
    whole wheat curly q type pasta
    chickpeas
    s&p and nutmeg
    high fiber, low fat unless you add extra cheese like I did.
    extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a 5lb pork loin roast that is going on the rotisserie this weekend. It will be brined for several hours prior to getting skewered. I am probably going to do a light baste for the last 45 minutes or so with a bbq sauce.

Other suggestions are welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have any good chanterelle recipes? Last night I made some penne tossed with sauteed shallots, chanterelles, fresh thyme, white wine, cream and a little butter, and a bunch of reggiano, salt pepper etc.. It was pretty good. What do you guys do with fungus?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Made risotto with chanterelles this evening. The usual base -- sauteed chopped onion in olive oil and a little butter, then added the rice for a couple of minutes, then some chicken stock. When the rice was about 2/3 done, I added some chopped chanterelles (some of the broken ones, some chopped stems, etc., a little smoked paprika, kosher salt, and a tiny bit of ancho. The other chanterelles were cooked in butter, olive oil, sherry, and a dash of kosher salt. A bit of wine with a couple minutes to go. The liquid from the separately cooked chanterelles got stirred in at the end -- let it sit for a minute and then the mushrooms go on top.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Habanero

Quote Originally Posted by Shinomaster View Post
    I scored this box of tomatoes at the end of the day at a farmers market. This guy gave me this haul of ripe beauties for $5. Yes that's about $30.00 worth in a fancy story. It never hurts to show up at the end of a market and haggle.
    I have used them for tomato salad, pasta, and last night I made fresh Pico de gallo (salsa.) it's so simple and good that there should never be a reason to buy that crap in a jar. Just chop fresh tomato, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, and add fresh lime and salt. It's a great use of ripe tomatoes.
    Sounds and looks great.

I tried my hand at habanero salsa on the weekend.

Soak 3-5 dried habanero chillies and 3-5 dried red chillies in warm water for 20 minutes then (very carefully) remove the seeds and chop up the chillies up and then puree in a food processor, adding some of the water in which the chillies soaked. Cut up 3 spring onions, add the juice of half a grapefruit, lime rind and the juice of the lime, chopped up fresh corriander and combine with the chilli mixture and salt to taste and then put in the fridge to chill for a while.

How you then eat it is up to you and beer is compulsory. I added some of the salsa to roast lamb and it complimented the meat nicely and diluted some of the heat. We also had watermelon and feta salad, which probably helped with the heat aspect (slice up the water melon, chop up a Spanish onion and sprinkle over the watermelon, add the feta and either fresh flat parsley or mint, a bit of olive oil and then sprinkle with cracked pepper - great for summer).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now I'm on a pressure cooker kick. Started with chili con carne a year ago... cooking the small cubes of steak in the cooker.

Last night I picked up a boston butt, dry rubbed it, and browned in in the cooker sans the top. Added a medium sized yellow onion coarsly chopped, cilantro, and a cup of high quality H20. Forty minutes in the pressure cooker and voila. Perfectly cooked and seasoned. Strained the drippings to make a killer gravy for my home made mashed potatoes.

No veggies ladies and gentlemen, just meat and tatties. Though some seasoned lima beans, to the point they just start to get creamy, would have complimented it nicely. BTW - The dog and the cats loved the leftovers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tonight, as I prep for a duathlon tomorrow morning, making risotto with chicken and asparagus. Grabbed a bulb of "really garlicky garlic, and shallots from the Waitrose, along with some organic chicken mini-filets that I'll chop up and poach in the vegetable stock. I'll have some salad with it.

Mrs. Slim loves the risotto.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shino, when I get fungus that good I fall back on the most simple presentation...an omlette.

Kemptonslim, good luck g-dspeed n' all that.